Classic EverQuest Client and Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizzel

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
We are developing a classic EverQuest Server and Client dedicated to the time where the game was most fun and in its prime. The game will be exactly like it was in 2001, when it was still fun to play. It will feature the original UI, models, zones, textures, sounds, everything and will be hosted on a very fast server allowing many hundreds of people to connect and play together. It will be free and a beta is in the works. Check it out.

www.projecteq.org

The main website is launched Saturday. The only reason I am posting this here is because I saw 2 or 3 threads on this forum asking for this. Hope you will show interest.

-Wizzel

cr4164rn0ld

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
this is a great idea, i will definately be trying it out. if the game has up to the velious expansion though, users should be able to choose between original UI and velious full screen UI. and if its something you can control, the option to crank it up from old school 600x800 resolution to something more modern would be nice.

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Gotta say that while I like that era of EQ, there's no way I'd play with the original interface. I don't recall when it became customizable (Luclin?), but that's the oldest version I'd even consider, and even it, as I recall, was harder to use than the the current version.

I can see the original version, perhaps, if you're still playing on a machine at a fairly low resolution, but I could probaby run the original EQ at 1920x1440 (and my video card is almost 3 years old)....certainly I can run it at 1600x1200 (with the possible exception of large raids)

Ultimately, I think the progression servers had the right idea, but they opened up new areas too quickly. As a result, you quickly ended up with the same problems as the more up to date servers...old zones became ghost towns and the raiders were constantly in a rush to open a new expansion.

I guess I think the problem with EQ (and MMORPGs in general) is at least as much the people who play them as it is the games themselves. It'll be interesting to see how the new Lord British game works out. The idea of advancing by working through the story sounds interesting, but I've seen lots of these that sounded interesting on paper, but they didn't work

That said, I wish you luck. Even if I don't understand why (nostalgia?), I know there are others who prefer the original UI.

suicidekid

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
wow that be cool i loved the old ui and stuff will have to give it a shot how do i get to it is it gonna be in the list of the severs ?

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Although I don't recall seeing any threads asking for retro Everquest, lets take this at face value, as I find the idea of being able to go back in time to play a "classic mmorpg" interesting.

Looking at the website, this looks like a fan production? Countdown until Sony shuts this down in 3....

Wizzel

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
The main website is live. And the project will not be shut down by Sony. 100% guaranteed. Plus, the server isn't hosted in the United States. Come visit us!

G

-------------------------------------------
'EQ Classic is Back!'
Classic Mobs, Classic Zones (Original - POP)
~Absolutely Free to Play !~
~2.5x Exp Gain bonus~
Www.ClassicEQ.org
**Bayley (fan of the Classics)**
-------------------------------------------

Enjoy

Badmere

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
EverQuest in 1999-2001 were the best times that I have ever had in an MMORPG. Memories such as sitting in HK dungeon talking for hours, traveling through the world and actually being afraid to run into a monster that outleveled the zone by 15 levels, or even just the simple fact of being afraid to die because I would lose a days worth of experience are some of the greatest memories I've had from any MMORPG- and I have been playing them since 1999.

People like myself, who wish to re-live these memories are hidden in many places, trying to get some sort of equivilent feeling in other MMORPGs. If you are one of these people, rise up and answer the call. Sign the petition that will be heading to SOE, showing them the demand for a classic server is great.

The petition can be found here:

http://www.classiceqpetition.com/

Anyuser

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Badmere,

LotR Online, Vanguard, and EQ2 all feel like copycats of each other. After playing all of those games I still feel hungry for the original EQ! I have risen up and answered the call and filled out the petition. If SOE creates a Classic server for EQ I'll drop these new-school MMORPG clones and go back to a game that satisfies me.

Ajin

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Great! I started a very large thread in forums and had tons of people interested in it. I was not getting anywhere with SOE so I decide to make an old school Guild that wuold only play in the old zones, with old gear etc etc.

My name was Ajin Antonic on the servers. Id love to be a part of this beta as would 2-3 friends that were with me in EQ from launch.
:bounce:

Nysus

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
All you oldschoolers looking to re-live some memories - check out www.Project1999.org !

Project 1999 is a free eq classic server thats up and running!

Every night there's over 500 people on with tons in there teens to twenties.

Right now only the classic zones are enabled with Kunark looking to go live around October at best guess.

So stop wishing and start playing!

Status
Not open for further replies.