Motorola V120e error message

I have a Motorola V120e and it's been a good, useful phone for about a
year and a half. No problems with it, etc., etc. However, I went to
charge it today, same as I always do, same battery, same charger, and
instead of charging it turned itself on and displaed an error message
that said "Unable to charge".

I've never seen this before. I have a second battery and it works fine
AND when I plug it into the charger it starts to charge just fine. So
I'm wondering - its the original battery, so is it perhaps nearly dead
and won't hold a charge any more? Or is there something else I should
look at before I go and buy a new battery?

Thanks,
Cathy

On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:58:47 GMT, cathy <cwells21@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have a Motorola V120e and it's been a good, useful phone for about a
>year and a half. No problems with it, etc., etc. However, I went to
>charge it today, same as I always do, same battery, same charger, and
>instead of charging it turned itself on and displaed an error message
>that said "Unable to charge".
>
>I've never seen this before. I have a second battery and it works fine
>AND when I plug it into the charger it starts to charge just fine. So
>I'm wondering - its the original battery, so is it perhaps nearly dead
>and won't hold a charge any more? Or is there something else I should
>look at before I go and buy a new battery?
>
>Thanks,
>Cathy

I would say that the battery has problems. I do know that these
batteries are "smart" batteries that have a chip in them to control
the charge rate and to stop charging when the battery is fully
charged. My guess is that the battery can't hold a charge anymore.

The only time I got that message was when I tried to "charge" the
battery when I removed the battery, just to see what would happen.

p.s. I have a v120c and v120e. They're decent phones, but I recently
upgraded to a v60s and found it to have the same functionality but
better quality overall (RF performance, receiver volume, speaker
phone). No real bells or whistles, but an overall solid phone.

Dave