curious

how do i get windows xp to recognize files that were made in win 98? The
win98 programs installed with no problem...but the data for those
programs(stored on cd) is not recognized. help

Sounds like a CD problem not a WinXP problem. Can you be a bit more precise?
Are you talking about old data files that you burned BEFORE you switched to
WinXP? Is this a new computer or did you update to XP? Are you using the
same burning software? Do you have the CD recorder set to 'enable CD
recording'? etc etc

John

"curious" <curious@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i get windows xp to recognize files that were made in win 98? The
> win98 programs installed with no problem...but the data for those
> programs(stored on cd) is not recognized. help

curious

cd was burned on my older win98 computer...all i want to do is retrieve the
data...my windows xp computer is a brand new machine,....thanks

"John Rampling" wrote:

> Sounds like a CD problem not a WinXP problem. Can you be a bit more precise?
> Are you talking about old data files that you burned BEFORE you switched to
> WinXP? Is this a new computer or did you update to XP? Are you using the
> same burning software? Do you have the CD recorder set to 'enable CD
> recording'? etc etc
>
> John
>
> "curious" <curious@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > how do i get windows xp to recognize files that were made in win 98? The
> > win98 programs installed with no problem...but the data for those
> > programs(stored on cd) is not recognized. help

First possibility: your disk is in poor condition and can not be read in all
recorders. Give it to someone who can copy it. OR use a utility like
Isobuster to read the bad data. Alternatively, if you still have your old
computer try reading the disk and burning a fresh one.

Second possibility: (this happened to me) your disk was burned using e.g.
EasyCD and you can not read it unless you have EasyCD on your new computer.
This happens with CD/RW disks and CD/R disk sessions that have not been
'closed'. Remedy; install EasyCD OR use Isobuster or similar.

There may be other possibilities but someone else will need to advise you.
Personally I hate recordable CDs and rue the day they took over from
floppies.

Best of luck