Sign in with
Your question

Oblivion GOTY by 2K Games?

Last response: in Video Games
September 10, 2007 2:54:14 PM

So I have waited EVER so patiently for a GOTY or other all inclusive Oblivion set. In light of the problems with Bioshock and 2K Games in respect to DRM, I have decided not to purchase games published by 2K. I did not think this would be a problem with Oblivion, since Bethesda created it. However, on Newegg it says the GOTY edition is published by 2K. Could someone clear this up for me and tell me if (a) I'm wrong or (b) why 2K is releasing Bethesda's game. Thanks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832262041

More about : oblivion goty games

September 10, 2007 4:25:54 PM

It is, check out wikipedia's article on Bethesda.

The PS3 version is published by Ubisoft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethesda_Softworks

Also, the regular edition was published by 2k.

Don't worry about DRM on this great game (Bioshock was great, but not as replayable, and was alot shorter than Oblivion).
September 10, 2007 5:12:15 PM

I think Bethesda would rip 2k apart with magical enchanted CHAINSAWS if they put DRM on it (actually that maybe wishful thinking but...)
Related resources
September 10, 2007 6:15:52 PM

Now that's what oblivion needs.. the Doom? chainsaw... *starts drooling at the thought of cutting down armies of daedra*
September 10, 2007 6:50:36 PM

I am not worried about it having DRM so much as I do not want to support 2K for their use of it on Bioshock. I really want to not do business with companies that use that level of DRM and are more are less dishonest about it. I may have no choice on this one though. It's a tough decision as I had a computer built just to play it. I do have other games I play, so it won't be a complete loss, just a significant one. Thanks a lot for the link and info.
September 12, 2007 10:53:35 AM

Not buying a game because of the publisher’s insistence for DRM on another game is a very noble show, a very silly one… but still a very noble one. I hope you don’t loose any sleep over all of this, I can see how hard your taking it.
September 12, 2007 11:57:23 AM

cafuddled said:
Not buying a game because of the publisher’s insistence for DRM on another game is a very noble show, a very silly one… but still a very noble one. I hope you don’t loose any sleep over all of this, I can see how hard your taking it.

The silliness is not in the act of not buying a game from a publisher that is not doing honest business (in his opinion). The silliness is in the fact that people think their individual acts of defiance are going to be noticed.

In most commercial sectors active consumer right organisations exist that defend the rights of individual consumers. There is no consumer organisation for gamers (yet) or for consumers of software products. The consumer organisations that are out there are still digitally illiterate. What is needed is a consumer rights organisation for gamers or software consumers and then our options as individual consumers will increase.
September 12, 2007 12:08:23 PM

BigMac said:
The silliness is not in the act of not buying a game from a publisher that is not doing honest business (in his opinion). The silliness is in the fact that people think their individual acts of defiance are going to be noticed.
Just what I ment
September 22, 2007 4:17:32 AM

Oblivion did something worse than any DRM... microtransactions. Horse armor, mini-quests, etc. Things that developers should be releasing for free. Microtransactions are the worst idea ever. I think it's stupid to boycott 2K and not buy any games. You're only going to hurt yourself by missing out on some great games, and you're going to hurt PC gaming if the loss of sales is great enough that 2K will just say screw it, we'll only develop for 360 then.
September 24, 2007 6:55:36 AM

Maxor127 said:
Oblivion did something worse than any DRM... microtransactions. Horse armor, mini-quests, etc. Things that developers should be releasing for free. Microtransactions are the worst idea ever. I think it's stupid to boycott 2K and not buy any games. You're only going to hurt yourself by missing out on some great games, and you're going to hurt PC gaming if the loss of sales is great enough that 2K will just say screw it, we'll only develop for 360 then.

Your reasoning is flawed.

Whatever you experience as "worse", it is subjective. For one it will be the DRM approach because they do a lot of hardware/OS updating on their setups, for someone else it may be microtransactions because he/she feels he should get a complete game.

If you continue to buy games that either make use of a microtransaction model for content, or DRM measures that hamper your options as an honest consumer, then why would companies change their ways? Apparently it is acceptable to their customer base to do the things they do. A game that does things you REALLY don't like, is not a great game, your annoyance with the product is greater than what the gameplay can make up to you.

If one publisher doesn't learn from customer response, another publisher will. If a customer is in a small minority regarding his complaints, he is simply out of luck and should go look for niche products that do fit his needs (or make something him/herself).
!