Odd ISO Mounting Problem Need Help

PA Jeeper

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
I am running into some issues that are frustrating to say the least. I made an ISO from my copy of MoHA, Medal of Honor Airborne game, using MagicIso. It immediately failed when I tried Magic’s virtual drive, so I tried SlySoft’s Virtual Clone Drive and that failed as well. Well, I remembered Daemon Tools being an excellent virtual drive so of course I downloaded and installed that. Well as the other two it failed, but it blue screened with and error and I had to reboot. Once I rebooted I tried running it by actually clicking on the virtual drive and playing it from there but only notepad popped up displaying a binary document.

I am at a complete loss as I have never had any problems before making and creating ISO’s for my games and then mounting them on a virtual drive to play them. I prefer doing it this way as I don’t like the idea of constantly handling any of my discs, I like them all to last you know especially at fifty dollars or so a piece.

If anyone can help me or tell me of another way, perhaps even other applications to try I would greatly appreciate it.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Many games released nowadays carry protection against being run from a virtual drive because games are a very easy target for piracy when they're not protected for that. Running a hacked version of the game would probably be against the EULA that you've accepted when installing your copy. Therefore it seems not a lot can be done while remaining within the bounds set by law (assuming the EULA is covered by local law).

The dual feeling I have with quests for help like this on these forums is that we will be aiding others with less legitimate intentions than yourself, and we do not accept, endorse nor want to encourage software piracy in any way on these forums. Therefore I'll close this thread now.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I have reopened this particular thread for the following reason: I should first have checked the availability of cracks with regard to the game you were posting about and indeed there's plenty of those around already. In itself I dislike the fact to publish this on this forum but applying moderation just because of something that is reality does not make sense. I apologize for overreacting, thread is open for sharing your thoughts or helping out the poster of the topic.

What you have to bear in mind though is that it is possible and even likely that when the publisher has added security features to their product that prohibit you from running the game from a virtual drive, that trying to accomplish it regardless may be against the EULA of the product. I can completely understand that you are very annoyed by that, and you have to take this into account when considering future purchases from this particular publisher. Unfortunately there are many publishers out there that add this restriction to their games.

It possible that you might break the law by accomplishing your goal (violating the EULA in the process). However that burden should be upon the publisher. They should take the case to court in case of a violation) and there is a good chance that they will loose because a judge may label this particular usage of the software as "fair use" (in my opinion this is what the judge should rule).

And then the publishers will try something else, like limiting the number of installs of your game (see the BioShock discussions). Publishers must really start looking for protective measures that will not frustrate their legimite customers (a minor annoyance might be bearable but not the kind of customer bashing that we are seeing today).

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
It is more likely the disc has protection against images being made of the disc and as of such the problem is more a case of the image not being created properly. I believe Alcohol 120% has tools for defeating this but I don’t know the exact procedure for the game you are trying to copy since most are different.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Weheeell Rather than getting loads of apps to try and run the ISO did you try perhaps getting a different app to make a new ISO in case the first one you made corrupted?

Please note you can often install games from isos but you won't be able to play the game without a crack. Locating cracks is your own business.

Once you crack a game you no longer need the ISO in the virtual drive. However, some games will crap out because they see virtual drives running and will ask you to disable the virtual drive first.

Anyway, find yourself a good program to make an iso and go from there.

PA Jeeper

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
I thank you BigMac for your kindness regarding our PMes and your post. I guess what you and the others replying in this thread are telling me is that PC gaming as I know it is on it's way out. They in essence, software publishers, are turning it more into a console type experience. In the future I believe I may myself go that route as there are too many other expenses (such as the third party software to run said game via virtual drive) hairy issues (BioShock ordeal) and now even legalities with PC gaming in my opinion.

royalcrown

Distinguished
Yes, but on a console you will still have to handle and use the original disc anyhow. It's not too expensive unless you get suckered into upgrading all the time, turn down your settings and at worst it will look like the console version anyhow, but you can play it.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003

And award for the most ambigious and possibly non relevant post of the day goes to ^^

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003

With the interesting side effect that although you have a legit copy of the game, you're still breaking the law. That's not nice now, is it?

This may not seem like a big deal to many reading this, but it might be a big deal for people that want to be honest customers, and that's a large percentage of people that take the trouble to buy the game in the first place.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I just cant wait till I am able to use Steam for almost every game, I mean right now I do like having a case and a disc and all but the fact that I can use Steam anywhere in the world and on any PC and install games that I have purchased on any PC that I am on at the time means it’s a incredibly flexible service. But I am saddened to hear that the Bioshock install cap of 5 installs is still in place with a steam account since it completely undermines the whole purpose of that software.

But it could not hurt to see the download speeds of games via steam increased a little.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004

Honestly, as long as developers who are making a game that is WORTH my time are rewarded by their hard work I really have no interest whatsoever if I'm breaking the "law" by using a damn crack. I cannot be bothered to have to get the disc from my game library every time I want to play X or Y game if I can avoid that.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003

I am perfectly fine with discussing the sense- and nonsensibilities of law, although I prefer people actually doing something about the law when general consensus is that something is stupid.

However, what I am driving at, some people think that it is waste of time to wait for a red traffic light, but still they will run a risk of a ticket when running through a red light, or worse prosecution when they cause harm while running through a red light.

Therefore a part of the population will be bothered by it (apparently not you) and the cynical thing is that it is this group that is also law-abiding enough to buy their games. Net result: they pay a lot more money for their gaming habits than some others, and they get bitten in the tail because the product is flawed with respect to being able to run the game in the way they'd like to run it. In short: bad for business but for some reason publishers still see benefit in applying these measures to their software.

xstec

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I have used Magic iso before, i have noticed it corrupts some files in iso's. maybe this is due to some protection i dont know. but I use isobuster and that has never faulted.

software will always be pirated, its just us paying folk that come worse off from it.