Reformat and duel boot

Hey there,

I'm sick and tired of half my games not working on XP so instead I'd like to
use 98/XP as a duel boot. I'm just wondering how hard this will be? Do you
think it will be too difficult for a relative beginner? I have some sort of
minimal experience of formatting, having done it with a 98 machine, but I
have no idea of the pit-falls of a duel boot environment and I'm still
getting used to XP.

What do you think?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about reformat duel boot

    Hi,

    It's not too difficult, even for a beginner. There are a few caveats though.
    First and foremost, to do this without using a third-party boot manager the
    primary boot partition must be using the FAT32 file system. Win98 cannot be
    loaded from an NTFS partition. Also, you must have a second partition in
    FAT32 for the Win98 installation, or have free space on the drive in which
    to create one. There are a few quirks to the install, and MVP Doug Knox
    covers it here:

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

    If you have no free space available on the drive, or the primary boot
    partition is using NTFS, you will need third-party help. Here are several
    partitioning programs and boot managers, all of which can do what you ask.
    While Partition Magic is the most expensive, it is also the easiest to use
    for new users. My preference is BootIT NG, but it requires a bit more
    knowledge about drive structure.

    Boot Managers and Partitioning programs:

    BootIT NG www.terabyteunlimited.com
    Partition Magic www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic
    Partition Commander http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html

    Each of these also includes instructions about how to install different
    operating systems using their product. You should follow them implicitly.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    > Hi,
    >
    > It's not too difficult, even for a beginner. There are a few caveats
    though.
    > First and foremost, to do this without using a third-party boot manager
    the
    > primary boot partition must be using the FAT32 file system. Win98 cannot
    be
    > loaded from an NTFS partition. Also, you must have a second partition in
    > FAT32 for the Win98 installation, or have free space on the drive in which
    > to create one. There are a few quirks to the install, and MVP Doug Knox
    > covers it here:

    Many thanks. It doesn't seem quite as impossbile as I thought it would be.

    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm
    >
    > If you have no free space available on the drive, or the primary boot
    > partition is using NTFS, you will need third-party help. Here are several
    > partitioning programs and boot managers, all of which can do what you ask.
    > While Partition Magic is the most expensive, it is also the easiest to use
    > for new users. My preference is BootIT NG, but it requires a bit more
    > knowledge about drive structure.
    >
    > Boot Managers and Partitioning programs:
    >
    > BootIT NG www.terabyteunlimited.com
    > Partition Magic www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic
    > Partition Commander http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html
    >
    > Each of these also includes instructions about how to install different
    > operating systems using their product. You should follow them implicitly.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Mother Farquhar" <fake@ddress.com> wrote in message
    > > Hey there,
    > >
    > > I'm sick and tired of half my games not working on XP so instead I'd
    like
    > > use 98/XP as a duel boot. I'm just wondering how hard this will be? Do
    you
    > > think it will be too difficult for a relative beginner? I have some sort
    > > of
    > > minimal experience of formatting, having done it with a 98 machine, but
    > > have no idea of the pit-falls of a duel boot environment and I'm still
    > > getting used to XP.
    > >
    > > What do you think?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    By the way, it is DUAL not duel.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Mother Farquhar" <fake@ddress.com> wrote in message news:hnIVc.608$Nt2.122@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
    | Many thanks. It doesn't seem quite as impossbile as I thought it would be.

Boot Microsoft Windows XP