FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Too bad. I remember seeing this game 2 years ago and thinking, "This might be a title to make me get a PS3."

Now it looks like just another game you'll put on the shelf after a few hours of play. I could live without the single player if the multiplayer was good. But 4 game modes and 5 maps? There's more than that in GoW and at least the story was excellent if not long. Sure you don't get vehicles or anything but still. And you actually have to aim to shoot someone. Talk about the WoW of FPS's.

devdevil85

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Just for the record $50 at the store got you the game + a $35 bluetooth headset which helps. The game is a serious must-have right now for the PS3. The load times are amazingly fast compared to any online FPS game that I've played so far and the action is almost instantaneous. I do think the download should be cheaper, but give it a couple months and it'll get down there. I too think the shooting is hard, but I'm a PC gamer and that doesn't help, but in the end the game is fun and action-packed and in my opinion it's worth the purchase with the headset....

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
[begin rant, the easily offended should not read or reply to this]

Warhawk for PS3 ....sucks. It S-U-C-K-S.

At least for me.

The biggest and largest, most gigantic complaint is that it HAS NO SINGLE PLAYER!!! GOOD GRIEF WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY ARE THEY THINKING?!?! The original Warhawk is what drew my friends and I into the PlayStation and kept us there. We were all looking forward to another challenging, well-made, and funny as all get out flight sim. I mean.... Walker, Ha-tcha and the Evil Kreel ending is hard to top, but COME ON! At least TRY!

The next huge complaint I have is how poorly the controls are designed. I mean, good GRIEF. Cross Quake 3 controls with Half Life or Red Faction controls (as they came on the PS2) and you have a very confusing mix. PLUS the Warhawk DOESN'T EVEN **FLY** like an airplane does! They should have stuck with either the old controls or taken a page from Ace Combat 4, those controls ROCKED! The original controls were easy to grasp and very intuitive, even one of my friends that has a hard time with games easily grasped how the thing worked. I mean... for example. On the original Warhawk you mashed the 'X' button and kept it mashed to move forward, and when you built up enough speed you automatically transitioned from hover to full flight controls. That alone would make this PS3 title FAR more playable! A further complaint about the controls is connected to how they have everything wrong... They should allow EVERY SINGLE BUTTON to be reconfigured so I can turn it into Ace Combat control style at least!

Two last things. One: It is amazing how hard it is to kill the people on the ground... I mean I would end up pumping HUGE amounts of rockets and machineguns into them and they would flop around or be blasted around a little but they wouldn't lose much life. I mean...good grief. I wish *I* could live through a full on full-body-contact rocket and machine gun barrage point blank and still be mostly alive! Last: They need to fix the radar. You can't see anyone that isn't in a plane. This gives ground troops HUGE advantages against the planes. It's very disappointing when you're expecting a plane-only shooter and then they add in super-powerful ground forces that basically give you no chance to have any fun...

[/end rant]

Granted, I didn't spend more than a couple hours with the game, but this game had to live up to MY expectations and it fell flat on its face. No...no, it didn't even do that. It fell off the lofty cliffs of my expectations and commenced digging, and dug itself a huge muddy hole. Maybe updates can fix this game. I would love if it had completely re-configurable controls. I wouldn't mind spending a little time untangling the spaghetti mess of the flight system into a working one if they can patch complete controller configuration in. And...if any of you developers are reading.... ADD A SINGLE PLAYER!!!! This game was one of the few reasons I was considering a PS3...now I'm not very motivated at all to get one. I know, kinda dumb to buy a PS3 for one game...but the original Warhawk was so good, we did buy a PS and PS2 just to play it on. That is the greatness of the original.

utopic

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
LOL, I don't really care for the game, as I don't have a PS, but I'm pleasantly surprised that the reviewer knew what Falcon 4 is. :)