Benra Hogad

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Why will Bioshock not start?
It loaded ok, but when I tried to run the game my mouse curser turned to an hour glass then a CD and then nothing.
Waited for ten minutes but nothing. What's up?
I called them up and they walked me through a few things but in the end I still can't play!

Mobo = D975XBX
CPU = Intel Pentium D 3.2GHz
RAM = 2046 MB 667 DDR2
DirectX = 9.0c
Sound = Sigma Tel Audio. This the onboard sound on my Bad Ax and it has the latest drivers.
Display = NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS it too has all the latest drivers.
Monitor = Samsung SyncMaster 245BW (It is super nice by the way)

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
If the 2k helpdesk can't help you through the phone, then chances of finding the answer here are slim but one can try.

When I read your post, it looks to me that there's a possible hardware failure somewhere. In that case you probably should epxerience issues with other games as well, that run in similar fashion (requiring the game DVD in the drive etc). Is it only BioShock that gives you problems?

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Oh yeah, and you got the latest nvidia drivers FOR bioshock? (they were released for it lol, because that whole gimmick nvidia's got going never works.) And august directx.

Benra Hogad

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
I can play Tomb Raider, Doom 3, Quake 4. But I did get a blue screen the other day while playing Tomb Raider Anniversary. It was just for a second and the thing rebooted and after that it was fine. I started playing again with no trouble. If it is hardware, what would be your best guess as to what is going bad?

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003

Given the sequence of cursors you described previously I'd say my best guess would be your DVD reader (whatever it is you are using).

Benra Hogad

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
I’m running XP Pro SP2 and my machine is not over clocked. Its temperature as of right now is 46 C for the CPU, 44 C in zone 1, 41 C in zone 2. CPU fan is turning 1966 RPM.

Benra Hogad

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
This happened today. I was using a flash drive to copy some files from another computer. When I stuck the flash drive into the front panel and opened Windows Explorer it did list it in the left window, but when I clicked on it to open it to move the files it locked up. The front panel is flimsy and I never have liked it or my case. It is an Ultra something or other. It looks cool but is very flimsy. Could my front panel USB thing be bad?

PCD

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
When playing Bioshock use the latest Beta graphics driver (163.67) and do not under any circumstances touch the sound settings in the game but leave them at the default settings.

The USB problem could be cause by a bad front panel USB connector. Have you tried connecting the flash drive to a USB connector on the back of the computer?