SIS648 & P4 Hyperthreading

tratrie

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Howdy!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the SIS 648 is 'Hyperthread-able'?

From what I have read, Many of the current Intel 845 chipsets are HT-able and at least one vendor (Asus) is releasing updated BIOSes to enable HT on those boards that are able.

I like the feature set of the SIS 648 chipset and was considering purchasing an Asus P4S8X. The prices seem to be right, performance is on par with the Intel 850E chipset, and a better feature set, so what's not to like?

Hyperthreading... I'm very interested in this piece of technology and I can wait a little while (say 2 months). I've said the next board I purchase would be a dual processor system, but it would appear you can get "nearly" the same thing with HT.

So I was thinking if the SIS 648 were HT-able, I could purchase a board now, get a relatively cheaper P4 to hold me over until the HT P4's come out.

Thanks for any input! :)

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
No it isn't, and won't ever be (HT functionality is not within the BIOS' domain)! If you want a DDR P4 board now, do yourself a big favor and get an i845PE/GE board. If you are willing to wait another 2 months and spend a few more $, go for a dual channel i7205 (Granite Bay) board. In either case, those two Intel chipsets do support HT.

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>