RealTek 8180 Pcmcia 802.11B card

Is any one using a RealTek 8180 Pcmcia 802.11B card under win 98 SE? I
purchased the card off ebay and I can not get the card to go in my
laptop. It looks like I have the wrong driver installed. The proper
driver will not install. When I access the proper driver it ask me to
choose from a boxed set of choices which appear with on visible
selections. When at a Wi-FiI iexplorer will not go to a web site. I
can ping servers on the internet but no ie web site connections. The
Wi-Fi admin or tech support person says that he can see my connection
on the network but no WWW conn or no data transfer rate. Can any one
help me.

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 23:13:56 -0400, Howard Huntley
<hhuntleyjr@comcast.net> wrote:

>Is any one using a RealTek 8180 Pcmcia 802.11B card under win 98 SE? I
>purchased the card off ebay and I can not get the card to go in my
>laptop. It looks like I have the wrong driver installed. The proper
>driver will not install. When I access the proper driver it ask me to
>choose from a boxed set of choices which appear with on visible
>selections. When at a Wi-FiI iexplorer will not go to a web site. I
>can ping servers on the internet but no ie web site connections. The
>Wi-Fi admin or tech support person says that he can see my connection
>on the network but no WWW conn or no data transfer rate. Can any one
>help me.

Ummm... that's almost incoherent. Try again with some details like
what you have to work with?

I had to deal with a no-name something laptop that used this chip in
their internal 802.11b adapter. It was running W2K and nothing I did
could convince the wireless card to work properly. Rather than fight
it, I downloaded the drivers from the Realtek web pile at:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?Keyword=8180
and lived happily ever after. I didn't bother with the "auto
installation program" so I have no clue if that works (or what it
does).

However, if you can ping servers on the internet, yours is basically
working. My guess(tm) is that you're pinging them by IP address, but
that IE is failing on domain names. You might wanna check if your DNS
is working. Try:
ipconfig /all | more
and check what you have for a DNS server. If it's your unspecified
wireless router, then there might be something wrong with the router.
If it's a real DNS server, you might try pinging it to see if it's
there. Just a guess(tm).

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558