Best Games for Each Genre

teancumtbh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I am well outdated when it comes to PC games. I enjoy RTS games, but haven't played a good one since Age of Empires II. I enjoy RPG's, and other than Oblivion I haven't played many in a LOOOONG time. Never played FPS's much, and there are some other misc games that I've played and enjoyed. The last time I was playing PC games with any frequency, it was Starcraft & Diablo. But I wanted to ask, if someone wanted to get back into gaming, and didn't really have any preferences as to genre, what would be your top 2-3 titles per genre to buy/play? Why or why not?

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
RPG - Oblivion (i'm not much of an rpg guy, not since chrono trigger and phantasy star 4 days.. oblivion is more of an fps sorta)
- Guild Wars, been playing it for years, it's great. PLEASE don't get WoW...

FPS - Battlefield 2
- Half Life 2
- There are plenty of awesome ones coming, Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3 in November, Enemy Territory Quake Wars, October..

RTS - Command & Conquer 3 (if you've ever played anyone of them and liked OTHER than C&C: Generals - that's a different game).
- Company of Heroes
- there are plenty.. Warhammer, Medieval?..

Do you have a fairly new pc?

No Diablo 3, but Starcraft 2 coming.. (I say April 08).

teancumtbh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I will be getting a new rig, but have no games to play on it :D

Is there even any hint of a Diablo III? I hadn't even heard rumors. SCII will definitely be a buy.

Guild Wars interests me. I'm not into paying a monthly subscription, but am not averse to playing online (which other than some short forays into Battle.net for Diablo II I haven't ever done). How does it work? Is it one of those where a new player is going to get mopped up by the many more experienced players out there? Can you delete and configure a new character if you don't like the old one?

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
The only PvP in Guild Wars is through:
-Random Arena (you get a random team of players, 4v4)
-Team Arena (same as random, except you organise a team, 4v4)
-Hero Battles (use 3 heroes (super henchmen), against another player with 3 heroes)
-Alliance Battles (Factions campaign only)
-Hall of Heroes (one of the global tournaments, it used to be that whoever`s team won the Hall of Heroes, their territory would get favor of the gods to enter certain zones)
-Guild vs Guild (Anet does tourneys for $ for the top guilds)

You can get PvP editions, if you just want to PvP and not PvE.

PvE is story driven with missions and stuff. It's more like Diablo, where WoW is run-of-the-mill Everquest clone

There is no getting owned by people in PvE areas, i'll send you a key to try it out (you get to try all 3 campaigns).

nickc07

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
RPGs - I really dont play any. If I were going to play RPG I would play a MMO but those things destory lives.
FPS - Battlefield 1942,2,2142; Counter Strike: Source; Team Fortess 2 Oct8
RTS - COH, I didnt like C&C3, World of Conflict (Mid Oct)

nerdygeek

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
Hellgate london is made by the same people who did diablo and it is coming out on halloween. It is going to be insane. Check it out.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
if your rig is powerful enough, Supreme commander is an EPIC game (and the expansion is coming soon) its a bit of a jump from aoe2 tho :lol: oh and also, fear is a good game (fps)
C&C 3 is a lazy rts, where ppl can't play intensively in the same way as SUPCOM (although supcom can be TOO intense if you have an hour long game where you basically can't rest)
oh, and you might want to try the 2 most recent tomb raider games, they're good 2

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I found nothing intensive about supcom except that it brought rigs with 8800 GTX's in SLI to a crawl. But to be fair, I haven't played Supcom (and neither have any of my coworkers to whom I shall never again recommend a game without playing it for atleast 1 hour) since they fixed the BSOD on Nvidia cards issue. I was planning to play it when I get my new rig with q6600 and 8800gts to see if its any better than my current agp slow machine.

If anything, I found Supcom to be the laziest rts... well he can try them, there's demos for all.

World in Conflict (i think that's what its called) looks impressive, but I haven't tried it yet.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
I daresay a q6600 would handle supcom easily enough
he could also try quake wars (I prefer battlefield, but I can see that some ppl might prefer it)

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I still jump sometimes when playing BF2, i'm more of a quake/UT player. but bf2 is great.. (finally got my 1st LT woot!)

http://bf2s.com/player/49102705/

The AT is my rocket launcher.

teancumtbh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Hellgate London looks interesting. And out of nowhere this weekend, I saw a trailer for Star Wars: Force Unleashed. Not sure if they're going to release it to PC or not, but it looks awesome from what I saw of it.

teancumtbh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Oh, and I keep forgetting to ask. What is the best combat flight simulator game out there? I've never spent much time playing them, but they'd be a lot of fun for my son and I to play...

I like X3: Reunion which is a space combat and trading simulation. A bit of a learning curve, but it's a great game with nice eye candy. While there is a story, you don't need to follow it. Kinda like Morrowind or Oblivion in space.

It's not a pure combat game. There is a trading aspect to it in which you can buy and sell goods and eventually build space factories that other races can trade with. You could opt to go for the pure mercenary route where all you take are combat mission.

The game could last just a short time where you follow the story, finish it then play another game. Or you can try and max out as many race relations as you can, max out your combat and trading ranks, and build the largest economic empire that you can before you get bored.

I've been playing it off and on for about 8 months. I played X2: The Return (it's predecessor) for probably around 2 years. I backed up my X2 saves in case I decide to go back to continue in a custom universe that I made.

bren_1a

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
In terms of space sim, I would have to agree with X3. I have however just bought spaceforce: Rogue Universe. It is good especially if you're planning on or have got a good joystick, But if you get it install the v1.1 patch.

Beyond the Red Line is also a free space sim being written by the Open source community. A demo is available, you just need to google it. It is based on the new Battlestar Galactica. And if anyone involved is reading this, congrats and thanks.

All these suggestions should keep you playing for a while, if only we could all find enough time. Have fun!!!

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
breaking it down by Category (fps,rpg,...) and subsection if required (solo/mp...)

FPS - Single Player - Half Life 2 (last year, best of category), Bioshock (new, good, mega eye candy)

FPS - Multiplayer - BF2

RPG - ARPG - Oblivion (this year, best of category), Fable-The lost chapters.

RPG - Traditional - Neverwinter Nights 2 (last year)

Space Combat - X3 (last year, best of category, EPIC, great eye candy)

Racing - simulation - GTR2 (last year, best of category, very expandable), DiRt (new, rally focused, good game)

Racing - arcade - Need for Speed Most Wanted (last year)

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
BF2 and BF2142 are extremely similar, but I prefer 2142 for the unlocks (even if the planes suck compared, but I'm a crap pilot so..)

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
RPG: Baldur's Gate 2, if you didn't try it... it's like the best game ever period.

FPS: Half-Life 2. Best game ever. Well for different reasons than BG2.

RTS: Starcraft still reigns IMO ;) Medieval II Total War is a nice experience, at least graphically.

G

I agree with whoever said MMOs destroy lives.... I've lost so much time to Dark Age of Camelot... I still play now and then but I never have more than an hour or two a day to devote to it so its really not even worth playing.

MMOs are absolutely great... if you have a summer vacation or something. They are just too damn addicting/time consuming. That being said I cannot wait to get into Warhammer beta!

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not sure because I've only ever plyed friends but I think I am actually totally elite at the battles in rome total war, I can own anything (i beat my friends 2 on 1 with no difference in the power of armies)

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
If you liked Diablo you should look into Titan Quest, it's similar with a ton of improvements and lots of good ol' hack and slash action.

Also if you like it you should look into the new game coming out October 31 I think called Hellgate: London... it's amazing, it's being made by some of the people that headed up diablo.