Urgent help needed

Stormryder723

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
Has anybody got a clue to what's going on with this machine?

P3 600 Coppermine on a GigaByte GA GVXE+ has developed a case of turning on/off by itself. After installing a new nic, the machine failed to boot. I removed the card, plugged the power cord back in, and machine turned itself on and then almost immediately off again.

Trying to use the Power button is useless - nothing works. Oh, equipment is in an Enlight case, new 300 watt PS.

Thanks for your help!

Ken

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Sounds like something maybe shorting out. If I were you I would carefully remove all components and the motherboard out of the case. Look underneath to see if there are any loose screws and then reassemble it with just the basic components (video, cpu w/hsf, ram) and then see if it boots from there. If it does then start plugging in devices one by one till it fails again or it works. If it doesn't then try to clear the CMOS by either a jumper or pulling the battery with no power to the system for 30 secs. Give that all a try and then post back your results.

Time Management is very important, a bucket with a small leak in the botom loses just as much water as a bucket that is kicked over.