Is there an FTP site for SP2?

I ask this because I am trying to DL the IT file. I have 3 computers at
home with Win XP Home and Pro and the DL constantly times out on me. I
am on dialup unfortunately.

Ron

Rockin Ronnie wrote:
> I ask this because I am trying to DL the IT file. I have 3 computers
> at home with Win XP Home and Pro and the DL constantly times out on
> me. I am on dialup unfortunately.
>
> Ron

If you only have dialup (and you do not want to wait for a CD from MS), first thing I'd have you check on is "how much time" on a single connection will your ISP allow you to stay connected? Find that out.
Then I'd suggest you make temporary use (you do not want it all the time, later) of a download utility --:
Internet Download Manager is a utility that is very helpful if you have a "must do" download and you need to overcome any possible "disconnect" due to timeout. I've used it with great success in the past. But I do not have it on all the time. Do not configure it to always be on; but rather use it "on demand".

Internet Download Manager home page.
www.internetdownloadmanager.com

IDM is ideal for downloading big files, whether you are on dialup or on broadband.
It will actually manage to resume a disconnect by doing a redial & resuming from where it was.

If you think you can manage the hefty download of the "full service pack 2" for XP, see this MS page
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

If you have a non-English edition, pay attention to see the drop down list for languages on that page.

For tips to prepare for XP SP2 see this link at Aumha.org for
Windows XP SP2 - FAQs & Best Practices
http://forum.aumha.org/index.php?c=16

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:

> Rockin Ronnie wrote:
>
>>I ask this because I am trying to DL the IT file. I have 3 computers
>>at home with Win XP Home and Pro and the DL constantly times out on
>>me. I am on dialup unfortunately.
>>
>>Ron
>

> If you only have dialup (and you do not want to wait for a CD from MS), first thing I'd have you check on is "how much time" on a single connection will your ISP allow you to stay connected? Find that out.
> Then I'd suggest you make temporary use (you do not want it all the time, later) of a download utility --:
> Internet Download Manager is a utility that is very helpful if you have a "must do" download and you need to overcome any possible "disconnect" due to timeout. I've used it with great success in the past. But I do not have it on all the time. Do not configure it to always be on; but rather use it "on demand".
>
> Internet Download Manager home page.
> www.internetdownloadmanager.com
>
> IDM is ideal for downloading big files, whether you are on dialup or on broadband.
> It will actually manage to resume a disconnect by doing a redial & resuming from where it was.
>
> If you think you can manage the hefty download of the "full service pack 2" for XP, see this MS page
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>
> If you have a non-English edition, pay attention to see the drop down list for languages on that page.
>
> For tips to prepare for XP SP2 see this link at Aumha.org for
> Windows XP SP2 - FAQs & Best Practices
> http://forum.aumha.org/index.php?c=16

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Ron

| "Rockin Ronnie" <joinernospam@ns.sympatico.ca>
| Message news:%23bppFq5hEHA.356@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| I ask this because I am trying to DL the IT file. I have 3
| computers at home with Win XP Home and Pro and the DL
| constantly times out on me. I am on dialup unfortunately. Ron

You will be able to order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
when it becomes available later this summer. For more
information see the following Microsoft Web Site:

Microsoft Windows XP
Downloads | Software Updates
Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Later this summer, you must mean in the next 9 days. Anyway I predict 2 days.

What a stupid thing to say. Why not later this fortnight or week. (I predict wednesday)
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message news:%23ofYL6EiEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> | "Rockin Ronnie" <joinernospam@ns.sympatico.ca>
> | Message news:%23bppFq5hEHA.356@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> | I ask this because I am trying to DL the IT file. I have 3
> | computers at home with Win XP Home and Pro and the DL
> | constantly times out on me. I am on dialup unfortunately. Ron
>
> You will be able to order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
> when it becomes available later this summer. For more
> information see the following Microsoft Web Site:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP
> Downloads | Software Updates
> Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

|:| "Rockin Ronnie" <joinernospam@ns.sympatico.ca>
|:| Message news:%23bppFq5hEHA.356@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
|:| I ask this because I am trying to DL the IT file. I have 3
|:| computers at home with Win XP Home and Pro and the DL
|:| constantly times out on me. I am on dialup unfortunately.

:| "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
:| Message news:%23ofYL6EiEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
:| You will be able to order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
:| when it becomes available later this summer. <SNIP>

| "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
| Message news:ODmp8HFiEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
| Later this summer, you must mean in the next 9 days. Anyway I
| predict 2 days.
|
| What a stupid thing to say. Why not later this fortnight or
| week. (I predict wednesday)

Well actually, while I may be a bit inclined towards stupidity, I
work very hard to combat mustabatory thinking...

But anyway, we love you David. And I, in particular, enjoy your
"confrontational" post. If you ever visit North America (Central
Texas in particular), I would love to meet you ;-)