Sign in with
Your question

Intel buys Havok Inc, maker of widely used game physics engine

Last response: in Video Games
September 15, 2007 5:29:38 PM

From PC World:

Quote:
Intel Buys Havok, Maker of Game Development Tools
The chip giant has announced plans to buy a developer of digital-media creation software and services.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137232-c,mergersacquisitions/article.html
http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2007/09/cry_havok_and_let_slip_the_dog.html

September 15, 2007 5:50:49 PM

I would've thought m$ would've bought them already...
September 16, 2007 12:33:14 PM

I was surprised when I read the news this morning. I wonder what Intel's reasoning was for making the purchase. I guess Havoc is going to start creating games to take advanage of intel processors. I don't like it. But I am sure a lot of people did not like it when AMD bought ATI. I wonder if Intel is doing this more so to help themselves or more so to hurt AMD. Buying Havoc may be cheaper than buying Nvidia but may help them achieve similar goals far as dominating the gaming market.

Down with GDI! I fight for NOD!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 17, 2007 10:12:05 AM

rwayne said:
I was surprised when I read the news this morning. I wonder what Intel's reasoning was for making the purchase. I guess Havoc is going to start creating games to take advanage of intel processors.

Havoc does not create games, they make (software) physics engines (used by many game developers).

It seems like a good fit for intel so that they can look at multi core designs (either absorbing the specific physics engine requirements in a general architecture or to develop optimized hardware solutions for gaming physics (my guess is they will absorb it in the general multi core designs, trying to achieve an (additional) performance edge over AMD solutions).
September 17, 2007 6:53:10 PM

they probably want to give one of their cores to Havoc and let them play with it and see why kind of physics performance they can get from real hardware physics on a cpu core. I imagine AMD and ATI are doing the same things... working on little silicon lovechildren. They better be anyway, they'd be dumb not to. I would love to have a decent gaming PC with no video card!
!