Verizon no longer selling LG 4400

I have been aware for quite some time that Verizon was going to stop selling
the LG VX 4400 at some point, but I am severely disappointed that they have
not come out with any decent replacement for it (for my needs) before they
stopped selling it.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a replacement? My requirements
are as follows:

1. Excellent reception - my users need a phone that works at all times.
Period.
2. Analog capability - I have users that do travel into analog only land
(i.e. Bangor Maine)
3. Rugged and reliable - my users are not construction workers, but I don't
want to deal with broken phones while my sales people are in the field
4. National Access compatible (and easy to tether to a laptop)
5. Ability to preview who is calling before answering (LG 3200 is not a
great choice for this reason)

Features I would like:
1. Ability to sync with Outlook
2. Speakerphone

Really what I *WANT* is for Verizon to sell the LG 5550. If it works as
advertised it would be everything the 4400 is plus more...

-Eric

In article <kdqdnYLxs8I6_jXdRVn-hg@comcast.com>, Eric Rosenberry
<erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote:

> 2. Analog capability - I have users that do travel into analog only land
> (i.e. Bangor Maine)

Just a data point, but if you're traveling to Bangor regularly as I do,
you'll be happy to know that it's been CDMA digital for many months
now.

That said, I do still run into analog areas occasionally and would
still like that capability--for the short-term, at least. Hope my 4400
doesn't die on me in the next year!

--
Garner R. Miller
Manchester, CT =USA=

"Garner Miller" <garner@netstreet.net> wrote in message
> Just a data point, but if you're traveling to Bangor regularly as I do,
> you'll be happy to know that it's been CDMA digital for many months
> now.

Interesting, I had been looking at US Cellular's web site (Verizon's roaming
partner there) and they sell an LG VX 6000 for use there which would make no
sense if it was analog. I just figured it was a mistakeon their web site
since I just had some users come back from Bangor and swear to me that it
was analog... I don't suppose the outlying areas are still analog?

-Eric

Eric Rosenberry <erics@r3moverosenberry.org> wrote:

> Interesting, I had been looking at US Cellular's web site (Verizon's roaming
> partner there) and they sell an LG VX 6000 for use there which would make no
> sense if it was analog. I just figured it was a mistakeon their web site
> since I just had some users come back from Bangor and swear to me that it
> was analog... I don't suppose the outlying areas are still analog?

US Cellular has been converting all of their networks from TDMA/analog to
CDMA. Previously if you'd roamed on USCC with a Verizon phone, it'd have to
have been analog. In most USCC markets this should no longer be the case.

In article <DrqdnY4WjOz6QTXd4p2dnA@comcast.com>, Eric Rosenberry
<erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote:

> > [Bangor] been CDMA digital for many months now.
>
> Interesting ... I don't suppose the outlying areas are still analog?

Never got much farther out than Hamden, but that was still CDMA digital
and seemed to work fine. I didn't get truly out there to see how far
the coverage went. But, as with the analog coverage before, it was
still US Cellular's network it was using.

--
Garner R. Miller
Manchester, CT =USA=

On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:29:18 -0400, Garner Miller
<garner@netstreet.net> wrote:

>Never got much farther out than Hamden, but that was still CDMA digital
>and seemed to work fine. I didn't get truly out there to see how far
>the coverage went. But, as with the analog coverage before, it was
>still US Cellular's network it was using.

I was in Boothbay Harbor and in Augusta last November. Roamed onto US
Cellular (extended network) and was full CDMA digital.

Portland and nearby is native Verizon (sharing a switch with Boston
metro).

Dave

_KC_

"Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote in message
> 5. Ability to preview who is calling before answering (LG 3200 is not a
> great choice for this reason)

In case you didn't know, you can open the 3200 and check caller ID without
it answering the call. I have been really impressed with the 3200 so far.
If it actually had the outer LCD, it would almost be perfect for a mid level
phone.

KC

"_KC_" <kc@kc.com> wrote in message
> it answering the call. I have been really impressed with the 3200 so far.
> If it actually had the outer LCD, it would almost be perfect for a mid
level
> phone.

Yeah you are right, after I posted that I realized you could probably open
the phone to see who is calling before answering, but that is a pain!

If it had an external LCD it would pretty much be a 4400!

-Eric

Some time around Mon, 17 May 2004 00:03:21 -0700 (give or take a month), someone who says they are
named "Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> fired up the tubes on the teletype and rambled
on about:

>Does anybody have any recommendations for a replacement? My requirements
>are as follows:
>1. Excellent reception - my users need a phone that works at all times.
>Period.

Ahhh, isn't this what every one looks for?

-W

"Double U" <PleaseSpamMe@myEmail.com> wrote in message
> >Does anybody have any recommendations for a replacement? My requirements
> >are as follows:
> >1. Excellent reception - my users need a phone that works at all times.
> >Period.
>
> Ahhh, isn't this what every one looks for?
>
> -W

Apparently not considering how well some phones with horrible reception
sell... I can not believe Verizon is discontinuing the 4400 without a
decent replacement!!!

-Eric

I was just at the Holyoke Mall, and the franchise VZW resellers (radio
shack, @wireless) had VX4400s. So, ..they are still avaliable?

"Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I was just at the Holyoke Mall, and the franchise VZW resellers (radio
> shack, @wireless) had VX4400s. So, ..they are still avaliable?

My local Radio Shack has them as well. I suspect this is just due to their
longer supply chain. It takes a while to flush them out of the system.

-Eric