Sign in with
Your question

Newegg charging sales tax

Tags:
Last response: in Deals
June 6, 2008 7:18:26 PM

Well, now that newegg is collecting sales tax for items shipped to NY I need to find a new store. Tigerdirect has some deals but no where near the selection of newegg. A lot of the little computer internet shops that were around seemed to have disappeared. What are we New Yorkers going to do? Bend over and take it in the a-hole?
June 6, 2008 11:26:34 PM

f1seb said:
Well, now that newegg is collecting sales tax for items shipped to NY I need to find a new store. Tigerdirect has some deals but no where near the selection of newegg. A lot of the little computer internet shops that were around seemed to have disappeared. What are we New Yorkers going to do? Bend over and take it in the a-hole?

Wouldn't want you to be just another NY a-hole.

http://frys.com/
June 8, 2008 3:45:20 AM

Zipzoomfly, buy.com, ewiz, frys, mwave are other options.
Related resources
June 9, 2008 4:25:59 PM

I've had good luck with www.Directron.com

They're customer service is great, and they ship quick. I believe they're in Houston, TX.
June 15, 2008 7:39:51 AM

It would take more than paying sales tax to take my business away from Newegg. They are worth it.
June 16, 2008 5:10:11 AM

f1seb said:

I'm right there with you, I just bought a laptop from Tiger Direct and a few other things from Zipzoomfly. The law was for businesses that link to companies that have a presence in New York like Amazon and Overstock. Many other retailers haven't started collecting sales tax and I don't think Newegg has to either.
June 16, 2008 7:37:41 AM

If an e-tailer has a physical facility in your state, then it is mandatory that they collect sales tax in that state. That is the law.
June 16, 2008 2:03:10 PM

ibleet said:
If an e-tailer has a physical facility in your state, then it is mandatory that they collect sales tax in that state. That is the law.

I know that but Newegg is located in California, Tennesee and New Jersey. They don't have any physical presence in New York yet they are now charging New York State sales tax. The new law enacted be NY governor David Patterson states that any online retailer which has links to NY businesses or is linked from a NY business is required to charge NYS sales tax.
July 2, 2008 6:48:27 AM

Mwave.com

I order from mwave and newegg both.
!