question about 802.11b vs. 802.11g performance

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 8, 2004 4:02:05 AM

getting ready to go wireless for my IBM laptop, I currently have a
consistently fast connection from Cablevision's Optimum online (5000
kbps).

My options: use a Belkin "b" wireless router (model F5D6321-4) that my
girlfriend was given or buy a "g" model.

I'm not going to actually do any networking, I just want to use my
laptop in any room in the house (those poker tournaments can take a
while :)

I do a fair amount of music/video downloading.

The "free b" good enough or should I buy a "g" ?
August 8, 2004 11:30:28 AM

802.11b should be more than fast enough for any cable/DSL connection you
have. You should be able to get 5 - 6 Mbps in practice, for a single client
station.

"Jeff Fawcett" <jefffawcett@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> getting ready to go wireless for my IBM laptop, I currently have a
> consistently fast connection from Cablevision's Optimum online (5000
> kbps).
>
> My options: use a Belkin "b" wireless router (model F5D6321-4) that my
> girlfriend was given or buy a "g" model.
>
> I'm not going to actually do any networking, I just want to use my
> laptop in any room in the house (those poker tournaments can take a
> while :)
>
> I do a fair amount of music/video downloading.
>
> The "free b" good enough or should I buy a "g" ?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 8, 2004 2:18:58 PM

802.11b will be faster than your internet connection, so it's fine!

Bill Crocker

!