Verizon service in Australia & New Zealand ??

Last response: in Network Providers
May 17, 2004 10:40:23 PM

I beleive I know the answer to this question given Verizon service is CDMA,
but can anyone tell me if a Verizon phone will work in Australia or New
Zealand? My father will be traveling there next January and asked me to
check out options for cell phones while there.

I beleive he will need to rent a GSM phone instead of using his Verizon
Americas Choice service. Is this correct? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Todd B
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 10:40:24 PM

Todd B <tbaskett@ptd.net> wrote:
> I beleive I know the answer to this question given Verizon service is CDMA,
> but can anyone tell me if a Verizon phone will work in Australia or New
> Zealand? My father will be traveling there next January and asked me to
> check out options for cell phones while there.
>
> I beleive he will need to rent a GSM phone instead of using his Verizon
> Americas Choice service. Is this correct? Any recommendations?

I was under the impression that Australia is GSM in the cities and CDMA
in the boonies. But I might have the two flipped... Parts of Australia are,
however, GSM and parts are CDMA. Don't know about NZ.

May 18, 2004 1:00:50 AM

I know Townsville Australia is GSM. My friend is there now and her CDMA
Sprint phone won't pick up a thing.

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> Todd B <tbaskett@ptd.net> wrote:
> > I beleive I know the answer to this question given Verizon service is
CDMA,
> > but can anyone tell me if a Verizon phone will work in Australia or New
> > Zealand? My father will be traveling there next January and asked me to
> > check out options for cell phones while there.
> >
> > I beleive he will need to rent a GSM phone instead of using his Verizon
> > Americas Choice service. Is this correct? Any recommendations?
>
> I was under the impression that Australia is GSM in the cities and CDMA
> in the boonies. But I might have the two flipped... Parts of Australia
are,
> however, GSM and parts are CDMA. Don't know about NZ.
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP:
0xE3AE35ED
sjsobol@JustThe.net
> Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
> "someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out
and buy
> slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows
98/2000/2003
May 18, 2004 2:38:00 AM

I recently spent 3 weeks in New Zealand (South Island) with a stop
over in Sydney. While there, I used an unlocked GSM phone with
Vodafone's NZ prepaid service. However, since I had my Verizon phone
with me, I did turn in on in both countries.

In Sydney, I couldn't get a signal. However, in Oamaru, New Zealand
(on the South Island) I did get an analog signal using my Verizon
phone. That is the only signal I remember getting while in New
Zealand; however, I didn't turn on my phone very often.

I would recommend that your father either rent a GSM phone to use in
Australia and New Zealand or purchase an unlocked GSM phone before he
gets there and just buy a prepaid SIM at the airport.

Before I went to NZ in February, I bought an unlocked 900/1800/1900
GSM phone from UStronics (www.ustronics.com) (the cheapest one they
had for about $85 however, you could also do eBay. Just make sure the
phone is truly unlocked). I also bought a Vodaphone NZ PrePaid SIM
from Telestial (http://www.telestial.com/) because I wanted the number
before I went. Now that I've done it once, would have waited until I
got to NZ to buy the SIM since they were selling them much cheaper in
the Christchurch airport. You can recharge the account by purchasing
recharge codes at most gas stations, drug stores, news stands, or you
can do it over the phone with your credit card. I did it both ways
without any problems.

I hope this helps,

Erick
moelleref@hotmail.com

On Mon, 17 May 2004 21:00:50 -0400, "Jared Geiger"
<jared@compuwizz.net> wrote:

>I know Townsville Australia is GSM. My friend is there now and her CDMA
>Sprint phone won't pick up a thing.
>
>"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>> Todd B <tbaskett@ptd.net> wrote:
>> > I beleive I know the answer to this question given Verizon service is
>CDMA,
>> > but can anyone tell me if a Verizon phone will work in Australia or New
>> > Zealand? My father will be traveling there next January and asked me to
>> > check out options for cell phones while there.
>> >
>> > I beleive he will need to rent a GSM phone instead of using his Verizon
>> > Americas Choice service. Is this correct? Any recommendations?
>>
>> I was under the impression that Australia is GSM in the cities and CDMA
>> in the boonies. But I might have the two flipped... Parts of Australia
>are,
>> however, GSM and parts are CDMA. Don't know about NZ.
>>
>> --
>> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP:
>0xE3AE35ED
>> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
>sjsobol@JustThe.net
>> Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
>> "someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out
>and buy
>> slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows
>98/2000/2003

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 7:27:05 AM

"Todd B" <tbaskett@ptd.net> wrote in message
> I beleive I know the answer to this question given Verizon service is
CDMA,
> but can anyone tell me if a Verizon phone will work in Australia or New
> Zealand? My father will be traveling there next January and asked me to
> check out options for cell phones while there.
>
> I beleive he will need to rent a GSM phone instead of using his Verizon
> Americas Choice service. Is this correct? Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Todd B

Australia has CDMA service from Telstra almost everywhere and my Verizon
phone usually gets a good signal. However, you can't make calls because
there is no roaming agreement with any US CDMA carrier. I even tried to get
a prepaid service on my Verizon phone but their system would not accept its
ESN. I wound up getting a cheap prepaid phone locally.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 8:36:29 AM

"Bob L" <boblloyd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<dofqc.69779$536.11384308@attbi_s03>...
> "Todd B" <tbaskett@ptd.net> wrote in message
> > I beleive I know the answer to this question given Verizon service is
> CDMA,
> > but can anyone tell me if a Verizon phone will work in Australia or New
> > Zealand? My father will be traveling there next January and asked me to
> > check out options for cell phones while there.
> >
> > I beleive he will need to rent a GSM phone instead of using his Verizon
> > Americas Choice service. Is this correct? Any recommendations?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > Todd B
> >

> Australia has CDMA service from Telstra almost everywhere and my Verizon
> phone usually gets a good signal. However, you can't make calls because
> there is no roaming agreement with any US CDMA carrier. I even tried to get
> a prepaid service on my Verizon phone but their system would not accept its
> ESN. I wound up getting a cheap prepaid phone locally.

Thanks for the update. Nothing has changed.
Apparently Telestra uses the same CDMA phones and frequencies, but has
locked out any other ESN's.
Best analogy is our Sprint PCS system and how they only activate their
own equipment.
And of course, there are no roaming agreements with Verizon.
Too bad a NAM 2, prepaid account couldn't be activated. I've heard of
one person doing this, but it required some insider cellular
connections.

-----
David
!