can't enable agp 4x in bios

ex_Gbyte_fan

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
Soltek kt333 mobo, XP2000+, 256 DDR333 King Max

I still have my old PCI woodoo card, I'm waiting for the R9500.
Anyway, I've discovered that "AGP mode" in my bios can only have the values 1x and 2x, but 4x is not on the list.
I've got the most recent bios from soltek, problem remains.

Do I have a bad mobo, or when I'll plug in a 4x/8x card in my empty AGP slot I'll be able to select 4x ?

(The mobo should support 4x/8x cards)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Only 1x or 2x in BIOS? That is strange. I think you are right. When you install an AGP card the options will probably be available.

I don't have a KT333 board but I'll throw a PCI video into my system and see if the AGP options change. (I'm curious). Take me few minutes ...

<b>I type sixty words per minute. Ten are spelled correctly.</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
OK, I'm back. Didn't really take me this long. I made some tea.

I swapped out my 8500 and swapped in my AIW (PCI). Same thing, only AGP speed choices are 1X and 2X. 4X goes away. Guess that answers your question. Install a real AGP card and you'll have all modes available.

By the way, I have an old KT133A mobo, Epox 8KTA3PRO.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My guess is that AGP4x is only available in BIOS when the board detects a 1.5v AGP card installed.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've been wondering why there are any AGP choices at all when there isn't an AGP card installed. What's the point?