windows xp professional upgrade

I bought a PC recently with windows XP home edition pre-installed on it. It
was so unstable that I decided to re-install xp home edition from a CD I
had used on my previous PC. The product key on the base of the PC was of
little use to me without the original installation disk.

I want to upgrade to XP professional as the instability problems still
continue. I have only recently understood that I should have bought another
licence before reusing the CD on another PC.

My first question, will this licence issue be a problem even after I use a
brand new XP professional upgrade disk?

My second question, can an unstable system problem (memory management,
drivers, hardware installation, etc) be resolved by an XP upgrade?

My third question, is the XP product key on the base of my new PC of any use
to me whatsoever, without the installation disk?

Rubix
7 answers Last reply
More about windows professional upgrade

    Both Windows XP Home Edition and XP Pro are equally "stable".
    You'll not achieve much by attempting to upgrade over unstable system.
    Try performing a "clean install" of Windows XP.

    In order to install XP Pro on another computer, you'll have to purchase
    another XP Pro license.

    The XP product key on the base of your new PC will only work with
    the PC manufacturer's restore CD.

    How to Order Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.mspx

    Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Rubix" wrote:

    | I bought a PC recently with windows XP home edition pre-installed on it. It
    | was so unstable that I decided to re-install xp home edition from a CD I
    | had used on my previous PC. The product key on the base of the PC was of
    | little use to me without the original installation disk.
    |
    | I want to upgrade to XP professional as the instability problems still
    | continue. I have only recently understood that I should have bought another
    | licence before reusing the CD on another PC.
    |
    | My first question, will this licence issue be a problem even after I use a
    | brand new XP professional upgrade disk?
    |
    | My second question, can an unstable system problem (memory management,
    | drivers, hardware installation, etc) be resolved by an XP upgrade?
    |
    | My third question, is the XP product key on the base of my new PC of any use
    | to me whatsoever, without the installation disk?
    |
    | Rubix

    Thanks Carey,

    My system CD only contains drivers and optional software. No XP CD. :(

    I wasn't considering installing XP professional on 2 PCs. Only on the new
    one. My old PC is perfect.

    A pity, I bought this new one that has cost me quite a few sleepless nights
    to say the least.

    Rubix

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:06:14 +0100, Rubix wrote:

    > Thanks Carey,
    >
    > My system CD only contains drivers and optional software. No XP CD. :(
    >
    > I wasn't considering installing XP professional on 2 PCs. Only on the new
    > one. My old PC is perfect.
    >
    > A pity, I bought this new one that has cost me quite a few sleepless nights
    > to say the least.

    Manufacturers include some means to restore the system - if not a regular
    CD, a recovery or restore program of some kind that returns the system to
    factory condition. If no restore CD, they may have used a hidden partition.
    Check the system documentation for details. If the system continues to be
    unstable, you could take advantage of your warranty and follow up with
    their tech support.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Thanks Sharon F,

    But perhaps I didnt mention that when I reinstalled Windows I reformatted
    and unpartitioned my 2 hard drives :(

    I have tried to avoid contacting tech support because they are really hard
    to get hold of, expensive and not very helpful. I once waited a week for a
    reply to a simple query that should have been resolved on the spot.

    I am treating my PC like a home-build now.....

    Rubix

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:52:41 +0100, Rubix wrote:

    > Thanks Sharon F,
    >
    > But perhaps I didnt mention that when I reinstalled Windows I reformatted
    > and unpartitioned my 2 hard drives :(
    >
    > I have tried to avoid contacting tech support because they are really hard
    > to get hold of, expensive and not very helpful. I once waited a week for a
    > reply to a simple query that should have been resolved on the spot.
    >
    > I am treating my PC like a home-build now.....
    >
    > Rubix

    I used to do the same thing with my brand name machines (now I build my
    own). Knowing that the price of the PC includes the operating system, I
    would still purchase a regular copy of the operating system to use instead
    of the recovery program that would only restore to factory conditions. Was
    always a lot happier with how the system behaved with that approach.

    The reason that I suggested contacting technical support was because in
    your first post you said that the system was unstable since day one. This
    can be a sign of a hardware problem of some type: components not attached
    correctly, poor quality components (unfortunate but true in some
    ready-mades), poor drivers and/or possibly defective hardware. If there is
    defective hardware, you could get that replaced but will need to deal with
    tech support to do so.

    If on the other hand, the system performs reasonably well with just Windows
    and suitable drivers in place, then the instability was probably due to the
    OEM add ins (this was the main reason I would abandon the OEM restore
    programs in the past).

    As Carey mentions, if a clean install of XP Home did not sort things out -
    it is highly unlikely that upgrading to XP Pro is going to accomplish
    anything.

    You mentioned reinstalling from another CD - if you can get your hands on
    the drivers for the PC, you may want to try a clean install instead. If the
    basic XP drivers are enough - skip installing the other drivers. If you
    need more features from the hardware, then install the special drivers from
    the OEM or hardware manufacturers.

    You'll still need a "clear" license for the system. The OEM license that
    you have is for what came with the machine and is good on that system only.
    And unfortunately, since there is no CD to show setup and no longer any way
    to restore the machine to Home - the full version of Pro (instead of the
    upgrade), may be needed.

    Consider... if you get the upgrade and install over the existing Home
    installation, the upgrade will take place. BUT if you ever have to start
    over from scratch, you are now without a way to show the upgrade setup
    program proof of your previous Windows and will be unable to use that CD...
    Unless you have an old copy of Win9x laying around that is not in use -
    then you could use that as the qualifying product for the upgrade.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    How right you turned out!
    My PC crashed and now I have to either get the recovery disk or reload
    windows from a brand new CD : (

    Rubix

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 22:33:57 +0100, Rubix wrote:

    > How right you turned out!
    > My PC crashed and now I have to either get the recovery disk or reload
    > windows from a brand new CD : (

    :(
    Sorry to hear that you ran into trouble. I don't know how you resolved your
    previous situation. However, if you purchased an upgrade CD (retail
    package) and now need a full version, you can sell the Upgrade CD and its
    accompanying product key. The XP EULA allows you to transfer ownership.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Windows XP Microsoft CD-Rom Product