  • Microsoft
  • CD-Rom
  • Product
August 24, 2004 1:28:50 AM

I bought a PC recently with windows XP home edition pre-installed on it. It
was so unstable that I decided to re-install xp home edition from a CD I
had used on my previous PC. The product key on the base of the PC was of
little use to me without the original installation disk.

I want to upgrade to XP professional as the instability problems still
continue. I have only recently understood that I should have bought another
licence before reusing the CD on another PC.

My first question, will this licence issue be a problem even after I use a
brand new XP professional upgrade disk?

My second question, can an unstable system problem (memory management,
drivers, hardware installation, etc) be resolved by an XP upgrade?

My third question, is the XP product key on the base of my new PC of any use
to me whatsoever, without the installation disk?

Rubix

More about : windows professional upgrade

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:28:51 AM

Both Windows XP Home Edition and XP Pro are equally "stable".
You'll not achieve much by attempting to upgrade over unstable system.
Try performing a "clean install" of Windows XP.

In order to install XP Pro on another computer, you'll have to purchase
another XP Pro license.

The XP product key on the base of your new PC will only work with
the PC manufacturer's restore CD.

How to Order Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic....

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Rubix" wrote:

| I bought a PC recently with windows XP home edition pre-installed on it. It
| was so unstable that I decided to re-install xp home edition from a CD I
| had used on my previous PC. The product key on the base of the PC was of
| little use to me without the original installation disk.
|
| I want to upgrade to XP professional as the instability problems still
| continue. I have only recently understood that I should have bought another
| licence before reusing the CD on another PC.
|
| My first question, will this licence issue be a problem even after I use a
| brand new XP professional upgrade disk?
|
| My second question, can an unstable system problem (memory management,
| drivers, hardware installation, etc) be resolved by an XP upgrade?
|
| My third question, is the XP product key on the base of my new PC of any use
| to me whatsoever, without the installation disk?
|
| Rubix
August 24, 2004 2:06:14 AM

Thanks Carey,

My system CD only contains drivers and optional software. No XP CD. :(

I wasn't considering installing XP professional on 2 PCs. Only on the new
one. My old PC is perfect.

A pity, I bought this new one that has cost me quite a few sleepless nights
to say the least.

Rubix

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o u46IEViEHA.1344@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Both Windows XP Home Edition and XP Pro are equally "stable".
> You'll not achieve much by attempting to upgrade over unstable system.
> Try performing a "clean install" of Windows XP.
>
> In order to install XP Pro on another computer, you'll have to purchase
> another XP Pro license.
>
> The XP product key on the base of your new PC will only work with
> the PC manufacturer's restore CD.
>
> How to Order Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic....
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

--------------

> "Rubix" wrote:
>
> | I bought a PC recently with windows XP home edition pre-installed on it.
It
> | was so unstable that I decided to re-install xp home edition from a CD
> | had used on my previous PC. The product key on the base of the PC was
of
> | little use to me without the original installation disk.
> |
> | I want to upgrade to XP professional as the instability problems still
> | continue. I have only recently understood that I should have bought
another
> | licence before reusing the CD on another PC.
> |
> | My first question, will this licence issue be a problem even after I use
> | brand new XP professional upgrade disk?
> |
> | My second question, can an unstable system problem (memory management,
> | drivers, hardware installation, etc) be resolved by an XP upgrade?
> |
> | My third question, is the XP product key on the base of my new PC of any
use
> | to me whatsoever, without the installation disk?
> |
> | Rubix

August 24, 2004 2:06:15 AM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:06:14 +0100, Rubix wrote:

> Thanks Carey,
>
> My system CD only contains drivers and optional software. No XP CD. :(
>
> I wasn't considering installing XP professional on 2 PCs. Only on the new
> one. My old PC is perfect.
>
> A pity, I bought this new one that has cost me quite a few sleepless nights
> to say the least.

Manufacturers include some means to restore the system - if not a regular
CD, a recovery or restore program of some kind that returns the system to
factory condition. If no restore CD, they may have used a hidden partition.
Check the system documentation for details. If the system continues to be
unstable, you could take advantage of your warranty and follow up with
their tech support.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Thanks Sharon F,

But perhaps I didnt mention that when I reinstalled Windows I reformatted
and unpartitioned my 2 hard drives :(

I have tried to avoid contacting tech support because they are really hard
to get hold of, expensive and not very helpful. I once waited a week for a
reply to a simple query that should have been resolved on the spot.

I am treating my PC like a home-build now.....

Rubix

news:o vAQoOYiEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:06:14 +0100, Rubix wrote:
>
> > Thanks Carey,
> >
> > My system CD only contains drivers and optional software. No XP CD. :(
> >
> > I wasn't considering installing XP professional on 2 PCs. Only on the
new
> > one. My old PC is perfect.
> >
> > A pity, I bought this new one that has cost me quite a few sleepless
nights
> > to say the least.
>
> Manufacturers include some means to restore the system - if not a regular
> CD, a recovery or restore program of some kind that returns the system to
> factory condition. If no restore CD, they may have used a hidden
partition.
> Check the system documentation for details. If the system continues to be
> unstable, you could take advantage of your warranty and follow up with
> their tech support.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 5:52:42 AM

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:52:41 +0100, Rubix wrote:

> Thanks Sharon F,
>
> But perhaps I didnt mention that when I reinstalled Windows I reformatted
> and unpartitioned my 2 hard drives :(
>
> I have tried to avoid contacting tech support because they are really hard
> to get hold of, expensive and not very helpful. I once waited a week for a
> reply to a simple query that should have been resolved on the spot.
>
> I am treating my PC like a home-build now.....
>
> Rubix

I used to do the same thing with my brand name machines (now I build my
own). Knowing that the price of the PC includes the operating system, I
would still purchase a regular copy of the operating system to use instead
of the recovery program that would only restore to factory conditions. Was
always a lot happier with how the system behaved with that approach.

The reason that I suggested contacting technical support was because in
your first post you said that the system was unstable since day one. This
can be a sign of a hardware problem of some type: components not attached
correctly, poor quality components (unfortunate but true in some
ready-mades), poor drivers and/or possibly defective hardware. If there is
defective hardware, you could get that replaced but will need to deal with
tech support to do so.

If on the other hand, the system performs reasonably well with just Windows
and suitable drivers in place, then the instability was probably due to the
OEM add ins (this was the main reason I would abandon the OEM restore
programs in the past).

As Carey mentions, if a clean install of XP Home did not sort things out -
it is highly unlikely that upgrading to XP Pro is going to accomplish
anything.

You mentioned reinstalling from another CD - if you can get your hands on
the drivers for the PC, you may want to try a clean install instead. If the
basic XP drivers are enough - skip installing the other drivers. If you
need more features from the hardware, then install the special drivers from
the OEM or hardware manufacturers.

You'll still need a "clear" license for the system. The OEM license that
you have is for what came with the machine and is good on that system only.
And unfortunately, since there is no CD to show setup and no longer any way
to restore the machine to Home - the full version of Pro (instead of the
upgrade), may be needed.

Consider... if you get the upgrade and install over the existing Home
installation, the upgrade will take place. BUT if you ever have to start
over from scratch, you are now without a way to show the upgrade setup
program proof of your previous Windows and will be unable to use that CD...
Unless you have an old copy of Win9x laying around that is not in use -
then you could use that as the qualifying product for the upgrade.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

How right you turned out!
My PC crashed and now I have to either get the recovery disk or reload
windows from a brand new CD : (

Rubix
> [...]
>
> You'll still need a "clear" license for the system. The OEM license that
> you have is for what came with the machine and is good on that system
> only.
> And unfortunately, since there is no CD to show setup and no longer any
> way
> to restore the machine to Home - the full version of Pro (instead of the
> upgrade), may be needed.
>
> Consider... if you get the upgrade and install over the existing Home
> installation, the upgrade will take place. BUT if you ever have to start
> over from scratch, you are now without a way to show the upgrade setup
> program proof of your previous Windows and will be unable to use that
> CD...
> Unless you have an old copy of Win9x laying around that is not in use -
> then you could use that as the qualifying product for the upgrade.

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 2:33:58 AM

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 22:33:57 +0100, Rubix wrote:

> How right you turned out!
> My PC crashed and now I have to either get the recovery disk or reload
> windows from a brand new CD : (

:(
Sorry to hear that you ran into trouble. I don't know how you resolved your
previous situation. However, if you purchased an upgrade CD (retail
package) and now need a full version, you can sell the Upgrade CD and its
accompanying product key. The XP EULA allows you to transfer ownership.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User