System Configuration Utility and MSConfig

slartibartfast

I have a couple of programs which I don't particularly want to run on
strat-up.

So I went into MS Config and deselected them on the Start Up tab. Now when
I boot the computer I get a message with the heading "System Configuration
Utility", which says (among other things:
"The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective
Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to be run
every time Windows starts. Choose the normal startup mode to start Windows
normally and undo the changes you made using the SCU"

All I want to know is why it is telling me to select Normal, when under
W98SE this was one of the accepted ways of stopping programs running at
startup. Does it matter if I ignore it and keep these programs deselected?

TIA.
--
Slartibartfast
To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

No, just check the "Ignore" box and it's gone (for this time)..
If you don't check the "Ignore" box, it undoes your changes to startup and
boots again with the original startup list

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Slartibartfast" <slarti@celynnen.FJORDSdemon.co.uk> kirjoitti viestissä
> I have a couple of programs which I don't particularly want to run on
> strat-up.
>
> So I went into MS Config and deselected them on the Start Up tab. Now
when
> I boot the computer I get a message with the heading "System Configuration
> Utility", which says (among other things:
> "The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective
> Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to be
run
> every time Windows starts. Choose the normal startup mode to start
Windows
> normally and undo the changes you made using the SCU"
>
> All I want to know is why it is telling me to select Normal, when under
> W98SE this was one of the accepted ways of stopping programs running at
> startup. Does it matter if I ignore it and keep these programs
deselected?

> TIA.
> --
> Slartibartfast
> To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

Duh

Is there away to make the window full screen size? Other windows os have
the maximize option, but not in XP.

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:35:10 -0400, Duh wrote:

> Is there away to make the window full screen size? Other windows os have
> the maximize option, but not in XP.

Most windows in XP will be resizable as well, however the MSCONFIG window
is not.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Plus in full screen the bits on it stay the same size. So you get a big mostly blank window. For dialogs (and msconfig is a dialog) someone has to program resizing. See what size the the app is then resize all the bits inside to suit. Very fiddly. For an app like msconfig is not worth it.

http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message news:%23jFiHsRkEHA.548@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:35:10 -0400, Duh wrote:
>
> > Is there away to make the window full screen size? Other windows os have
> > the maximize option, but not in XP.
>
> Most windows in XP will be resizable as well, however the MSCONFIG window
> is not.
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
maximizeapps=1 as a dword
"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:Omcan4RkEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Plus in full screen the bits on it stay the same size. So you get a big mostly blank window. For dialogs (and msconfig is a dialog) someone has to program resizing. See what size the the app is then resize all the bits inside to suit. Very fiddly. For an app like msconfig is not worth it.

http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message news:%23jFiHsRkEHA.548@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:35:10 -0400, Duh wrote:
>
> > Is there away to make the window full screen size? Other windows os have
> > the maximize option, but not in XP.
>
> Most windows in XP will be resizable as well, however the MSCONFIG window
> is not.
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User