Halt when installing WinXP

ngcoolman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
I have just recently built a AMD system. When I try to install Windows XP, the system will halt(no response when press ctrl+alt+del) at the step "setup is starting windwos". Sometimes it will even reboot. And somtimes a bluescreen comes up and say the windows detect some problem in my hardware and need to stop in order to avoid damaging my hardware. And i also realize that there is a very small continuous "eeee" sound from the either from the memory or the graphic cards. At the beginning, I think it is the harddisk problem. However, the MB can detect it and I can use fdisk to partition it and format it under win98 floppy. I try to set the bios so that both graphic card and memory have the least agressive setting. I even set my Crucial 2700-2 512MB to 266MHz 2.5 3-6-3. But the problem still exist. I also try to install RedHat linux 6.0. And the system halt too at "umcompressing kernel..." after 3 dots came out from the screen. Can anyone know which part of my hardware is to be blamed? I suspect either memory or hard disk, but can't be sure. Thanks!!

System Spec:
Athlon XP 2000+
Crucial DDR2700-2 512MB
ECS K7VTA3 ver3.0b
Ledtek GF4 Ti42000 64MB
WD800JB
samsung floppy
Liteon cdrw 48/12/48
Artec DVD 16x
400W power supply

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
BIOS check your 3.33,5.00, and 12 volt rails. If in fact they are off try another ps to see if they change at all. Cause I just got a new system and my board and ps were bad and it did the same things, P4 based though. Now lemme see i think the 12 has to be within 8 11.92 to 12.08 kinda deal, the 5 is like supposed to be litterally five i think it has a tolerence of 4.99 5.01 kinda deal (5volt is very important to the athlon though), and the 3 shouldnt move period from my experience sometimes it floats around but who cares its only for PCI island of the board.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Could u please explian in detial more about this "eeeeeeee" sound ????

Does it sound like a high pitch electrial power sound?? if so id suspect the motherboard has some really crappy capacitors or power regulators on it...and if thats the case......dont use it! ull risk blowing certain components....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

ngcoolman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
thx alot spud! I just check it from bios....it's 3.29, 4.94 and 13.24....it's kind of weird i think. So do u think i need to buy a new PS or it's the problem of my MB?

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
13 on the 12 ouch. Well to make sure (unless you have a ohm meter like me) grab another PS toss that in there and get the rails readings if they are different (well have too see) it could be ps or mobo or both.

My case it was both, motherboard took no more than 11.44 on the 12 and the ps didnt put out more than 11.77. Very unstable, and the worst of it is my supplier has no stock on the p4t533 for another 2 to 3 weeks:(.

Enough with my SOB story, just pull that bad boy out or get a ohm meter to make sure the ps is good. And let me know when yer done testing.

PS: you can read me on msn if you like its in my general user info when you click my name this can go a heck of a lot faster via that route.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

ngcoolman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
The sound is kinda weird...i really can't explain it..it is high pitch indeed but not sure whether it is electriacal power sound....indeed, now i think it is more like a very high pitch telephone ring at very high frequency though the it is much quieter...the sound won't come out unless the system is going to halt. and the system will halt a predictable situation(ie. i can repeat it). by the way, i remember that when i try to install linux, it will sometimes give out the error "CRC error system halt".

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I think its a problem with the MB still....it quite possibly could be ur Ram though too...next time it does it..open the case...and listen around to try and diagnose where u hear it from....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I had a PS do that once (whine) 3 min later that son of a bitch poped. Swear on my mothers grave scared the [-peep-] right out of me... pretty close anyways...

-Jeremy

ngcoolman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
yup...i did it already. but because of the noise from cpu fans, case fans. it's really hard for me to determine exactly where the sound came from. just know it is somewhere near the memory and cpu and graphics card

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Come to think about ive heard a whingin sound froma n old power suppyl i ahd in my old Celeron 400 system.....and it popped and sparked too and the spark hit the bottom of my case...i was scared shitless to touch it after i saw that...it looked like a lightning bolt....it fryed my CPU, Ram, MB, PSU and Soudn Card..soudn card PARTIALLY worked....and the Video card and HDD was fine...both my cd-roms were shot....

thng is....i dont c why hes gettign CRC errors....insufficient power would just call for lock ups, wouldnt it ?

ngcoolman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
spud because i bought all my components online and they have 15% charge for restock fee sth like that...luckily, the products i bought are all retail version, do u think i should instead contact the manufacturer if i want it replaced? by the way, there is a micro center near my place, should i bring my computer to their service department? or they are kind of useless?

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
well it is safe to unplug the power to all ur fans...just dont leave it liek that..and DONT forget to plug them back in....just so u can be sure where the noise is comming from.. =)

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Yes and no In my experience power or in this case might be overpowering can cause havok with hardware. But It could be anything. He hasnt even disclosed the arangment of the PCI cards on the board stuff like that could drag his box down. Might be harddrive or RAM too or could be overheating of the CPU. Just about anything, but in my trade (assume you do what I do too) just trying to troubleshoot the problem is just about the hardest part of the job. But gotta rule one thing out at a time.

-Jeremy

ngcoolman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
thx for all ur reply. I just open the case and try to figure out where the sound came from....and i can sure that it is not from the display card....but still cannot sperate it from cpu or memory.....because of the poor design or ECS....the 2 nearly touch! And now i am thinking may be i am having more than 1 problem...because i try to remove the harddrive and boot again...this time linux can boot(of course i can't install it on the harddrive). But windows still halt at the same step. I am thinking may be my harddrive is the main problem the weird sound is another potential threat

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Agreed =)

Thays why i say he unlougs all fans..CPU Fan, and case fans...and listen for it..ur CPU will not burn to a crisp despite whta a lot of other will say...as u wont have it unplugged for long...it'll take over an hour to burn if at all idling......so listen for it...than try to find a friend with similar or useable parts to swap back and forth to and from ur system to his/hers so u can figure out whats the real deal =)

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Actualyl now that u just mentioned that..it hink ur MB and PSU is the problem liek Spud said....damn u Jeremy!! lol....

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Damn me and my 7 years of experience damn me to hell DAMN ME TO FRIKKIN HELL!!!

-Jeremy

ngcoolman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
thx for both of ur help. i think i am going to take a shower now and let my anger claim down...i have already worked on it for more than 20 hours non stop. and going to have mid-term next Mon. May be try to work on it again tonite after have some work done. Do u guys think the bios is also an issue? because i have heard that ECS has some compatibility issue with Geforce.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
NP lemme know how it works out.

-Jeremy

ngcoolman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
May be i will give one more extra info b4 i leave, the blue screen of windows showed several errors at diff time. Mostly, it complaint without specifying the error. But once, it asked me to check the memory, and once it said the harddisk is corrupted.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
When it tells u to check the memory than gives u read errors..tha6ts usually a sure sign its the Memory....it THINKS theres corruption....but really theres a ram problem =)

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Hey spud.....u have 7 years experience workign WITH computers?? or doing it as a job????

Ive been working with computers since i was 7....im 19 now......always hardware has been my thing =)

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
As a job, but recently i went out on my own. Started a shop up. Pretty sweet deal since i get hardware at cost.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by spud on 10/19/02 04:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS