Your question

buyers dilemma

Tags:
  • DDR
  • Pentium
  • Mobile Computing
Last response: in Mobile Computing
November 4, 2004 11:12:56 AM

I have been given two options for a notebook and I don't know which one to go for.
1)Pentium 4 (Prescott) 3,2 GHz 1MB Cache, 512MB DDR 400MHz RAM, 17" WXGA TFT wide, ATI Radeon 9700 256MB DDR, weight 4,3 Kgr (8,6 lbs)
2)Pentium M755 (2,0GHz) 2MB Cache, 512MB DDR 333MHz RAM, 15,4" WXGA TFT wide, ATI Radeon 9700 128MB DDR, weight 3 Kgr (6 lbs)
(both have the same HDD and DVD-RW, and almost the same extras including bluetooth, card reader etc, and they have the same market price)
Given the above information only, my question is: Is the extra weight really worth it, or should I go for the lighter one? I mean, is the first option really that better than the second option, since there is a notable difference in RAM memory and grafics card? Anyone experienced enough with centrino technology, please answer...

More about : buyers dilemma

November 4, 2004 4:01:35 PM

If you don't care about portability or battery life then the first one would be for you. The first one would make a nice desktop replacement if you are hurting for desk space and plan on having it just sit there plugged in all the time.
If you plan on actually using it as a laptop and carying it around all the time go for the second one. That P4 M will give you simmilar performance and will give you MUCH better battery life. A couple pounds makes a big difference when you have to haul it around all the time.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
November 7, 2004 3:06:39 PM

I understand what you're saying. Do you believe that with an extra 512 RAM it would be any near the first choice's performance?
Related resources
November 7, 2004 9:15:00 PM

That would definatly bring em closer together. You will need an extra 512mb of ram if you plan on playing any new games on it anyway. New games suck ram :) 

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
November 13, 2004 5:12:08 PM

I don't care so much for games, as for some other programs, such as MATLAB and 3d Studio max.
November 13, 2004 5:24:14 PM

3D studio is RAM hungry also...

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>