Compatable win 7 card reader

Are you talking about a memory card reader? These typically mount in an external drive bay, and attach to one or more of your motherboards USB headers. Each card type typically receives its own drive letter. It is best to install this device AFTER installing Windows, to be sure that your physical drives' letter assignments come first.

You have 2-3 choices on a backup drive.
The quickest and easiest to implement, and the fastest in use, would be to add a second internal SATA drive to your system. Advantages include low cost, high speed, and ease of use. Disadvantages include essentially no upgrade path when the drive fills with backup sets other than replacing the drive with a bigger one, and no security against a system-wide disaster like a fire in the building or a theft of the box.
An alternative would be to use an external drive. If eSATA, you keep the speed advantages, but it will be a little more expensive. If USB, you utterly lose any speed advantage, but if you schedule your backups for no- (or low-) usage periods, that may not be an issue. Since an external drive can be carried offsite, you lose the system-wide failure problems, but you may add cost if you rotate a set of them to keep a drive offsite at all times.
An option that loses most of those disadvantages is to use an external hard drive dock. You just slide a conventional hard drive into it. If it's eSATA, once again you have full speed. Costs are higher than an internal drive, but not by very much. Expansion is as easy as getting another drive, and you can keep one offsite for added safety. The only disadvantage that comes to mind is durability of the plug-in connectors, but the dock can always be replaced.

Ah. Well then, you're probably limited to an external USB drive, or dock. The points I made about them are still valid, just the emphasis shifts around. Same for the card reader; it's basically a USB device. I've got a couple that can each read I think 4-5 different formats, and another that reads just two.

Overseerer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
For a laptop, im guessing you have USB ports, so id suggest picking up an external card reader powered by USB. You can get them at target for about $20. I have one for my laptop, its a 10 in 1, gets the job done, and since its USB, anyone in the house can use it (after asking and getting permission of course). laptops sometimes come with one built in, but it would only read 1 card type, i believe they make some PC Card upgrades/expansions with card readers but im not sure.

TRENDING THREADS