profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
hi, im looking to buy a new computer and i am now looking for a decent motherboard. i found 2 that sounds interesting in the fry's add this weekend, both are board+cpu combos.

1. 2.4 intel p4 fsb533mhz with a epox 4g4a+ board for 269.99.

2. athlon XP 2000+ with a soyo sy-kt333 dragon ultra platinum edition for 199.99.

both seems to be pretty good deals in my opinion, but then again i dont stay updated with all the new information about new hardware.

is there a big difference in these combos, and is there any otehr combo for about the same price, that is better.

any advice is welcomed,

thanx

I've bought 2 Fry's combos, and sometimes they're ok. But I would pass on these, unless you really need all those features on the mobos. The prices are a little higher than their best deals. I got an amd 1700xp retail with msi board for only $99.95 about 3 weeks ago. The board isn't cutting edge, but it makes a great backup system. Be patient, and you will be rewarded with the right combo at the right price.

ttilt

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
on www.pricegrabber.com (probably the BEST site for shopping computer stuff), they have a fic ad11, which is a good motherboard, for $50, which is a great price given its quality. And you can also find an xp1800+ for $75. Not a bad deal.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get an MSI 745 Ultra for $65 and an XP200+ for $90 on Pricewatch.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>