Enhanced Text Messaging

How come no one at Verizon seems to know what Enhanced Text Messaging is? I went to Vtext.com and
looked at their FAQ section. About half way down there is something on Enhanced text messaging.
When I fill out the question form on "Contact Us" or call verizon Customer service no one seems to
know what it is, or if it is available.

-W

alex

Noone knows!

I've asked that question 2 years ago!

"Double U" <PleaseSpamMe@myEmail.com> wrote in message
> How come no one at Verizon seems to know what Enhanced Text Messaging is?
I went to Vtext.com and
> looked at their FAQ section. About half way down there is something on
Enhanced text messaging.
> When I fill out the question form on "Contact Us" or call verizon Customer
service no one seems to
> know what it is, or if it is available.
>

> -W

---

Some time around Thu, 20 May 2004 11:03:41 GMT (give or take a month), someone who says they are
named "Alex" <a@j.com> fired up the tubes on the teletype and rambled on about:

>Noone knows!
>
>I've asked that question 2 years ago!

Must be one of those, you can use Get It Now options.

-W

What is Enhanced Text Messaging? What is the difference between
regular and Enhanced?

Dan

On Thu, 20 May 2004 07:11:47 -0400, Double U

"Danny M. Smith" <notforyoutoknow_orseebelow@blank.com> wrote in message
> What is Enhanced Text Messaging? What is the difference between
> regular and Enhanced?
>
> Dan

Article here:
http://www.brewbackups.com/forum_viewtopic.php?21.5829

and here is the answer for Verizon:
http://www.vtext.com/customer_site/jsp/faq.jsp

Q. What is Enhanced TXT Messaging?
A. Enhanced TXT Messaging is an improvement to Verizon Wireless TXT
Messaging. It uses a technology called Enhanced Messaging Service (EMS).

Q. What are the features available from Enhanced TXT Messaging?
A. In addition to the features of TXT Messaging, with a new EMS capable
handset you can enjoy the following additional features:

a.. Extended Message Length: An EMS capable handset will allow you to
compose an Enhanced TXT message over 1000 characters long.
b.. Text Formatting: Some EMS capable handsets will allow you to apply
text formatting to the message text such as Bold, Italics, and Underline in
your Enhanced TXT Message.
c.. International Characters: An EMS capable handset will allow you to use
foreign language characters such as 'ü', 'ñ', and 'é' in your Enhanced TXT
Message.
d.. Embedded Media Objects: Most EMS capable handsets include a menu of
sounds, graphics, and animated icons that you can insert into the body of
your Enhanced TXT Message. These embedded media objects are displayed
(sounds are played) when the message is opened on the receiving EMS capable
handset.
Q. Does it cost extra to send and receive Enhanced TXT Messages?
A. No. Sending and receiving an enhanced message costs the same as a regular
TXT Message. Your account will be charged according to your selected price
plan.

Q. Does it cost extra to send an Enhanced TXT Message longer than 160
characters?
A. No. Sending and receiving an Enhanced TXT Message longer than 160
characters is billed as a single message according to your selected price
plan.

Q. Can I send Enhanced TXT Messages to Verizon Wireless subscribers with
legacy (non-EMS capable) handsets?
A. Yes, with some restrictions. When you send Enhanced TXT Messages to
non-EMS capable handsets, any EMS features will be removed. Any inserted
graphics or sounds will be deleted as will any international text characters
or text formatting. Also, messages greater than 160 characters will be
segmented into individual messages up to 160 characters in length. The
non-EMS subscriber receiving multiple message segments will only be billed
for a single message received. The EMS capable handset sending the message
will be billed for a single message sent.
Note: The following non-EMS handsets may not properly convert an EMS message
to SMS:

Manufacture ++Model
Audiovox
Thera

Kyocera
860

LG
510
VX1,VX10
2000

Samsung
N 150
T 300
N 370
A 310
A 530

Sharp
Z-800

Sierra
Wireless
Air Card 555

Sony
Ericsson
1228
T 60

The message received by the non-EMS handset will be unreadable. Both sender
and recipient will be charged for unreadable messages. The problem of
unreadable messages can be resolved by contacting Verizon Wireless Customer
Service at 1-800-922-0204.

Q. Can I send Enhanced TXT Messages to an email address?
A. Enhanced TXT Messaging currently does not support delivery to an email
address or a vtext.com nickname.

This may be in HTML from the cut and paste. If so please accept my apology.

Elector

Thank you, it answered all my questions and came out just fine as
plain text. Basically it's email via cell phone.

Thanks,
Danny

On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:41:04 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> A 530
>
> Sharp
> Z-800
>
> Sierra
> Wireless
> Air Card 555
>
> Sony
> Ericsson
> 1228
> T 60
>

>The message received by the non-EMS handset will be unreadable. Both sender
>and recipient will be charged for unreadable messages. The problem of
>unreadable messages can be resolved by contacting Verizon Wireless Customer
>Service at 1-800-922-0204.
>
>Q. Can I send Enhanced TXT Messages to an email address?
>A. Enhanced TXT Messaging currently does not support delivery to an email
>address or a vtext.com nickname.
>

>This may be in HTML from the cut and paste. If so please accept my apology.

Some time around Mon, 24 May 2004 13:59:13 -0400 (give or take a month), someone who says they are
named Danny M. Smith <notforyoutoknow_orseebelow@blank.com> fired up the tubes on the teletype and
rambled on about:

>Thank you, it answered all my questions and came out just fine as
>plain text. Basically it's email via cell phone.

Yes and no. They sell email software . My problem is no one at Verizon knows what it is. I have
emailed / and called and no one can tell me about it. One person even said, "Where did you see
that?" then when I showed them the page, they said "oh, um it isn't available for your phone"
(meaning that the CS is clueless and wants to get me off the phone)

-W