Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Crysis 2: Lower System Req, Better Graphics

Last response: in News comments
March 9, 2010 5:07:40 PM

So now EVERYTHING can run Crysis? What will we spam the hardware review comments with now?
March 9, 2010 5:09:30 PM

More for less.. we will see when it ships.
Related resources
March 9, 2010 5:10:19 PM

I can't wait to see this one when it comes out. If what they're saying is true, Crysis 2 should play on most modern gaming systems with ease, and look better. I truly hope that's true.

Interested in seeing how they pull this all off in the end.
March 9, 2010 5:12:29 PM

Sweet! I guess they finally learned how to program efficiently.
March 9, 2010 5:12:32 PM

"This just in crytek learned that optimization is key to better fps and that everyone doesn't have a 15k dollar quad crossfire system!"
March 9, 2010 5:12:40 PM

Quote:
...Crysis 2 will have lower system requirements and better graphics than the original Crysis PC game
Didn't the expansion have a lower requirement and better graphics than the original Crysis PC game?

Quote:
Students can download the standard development engine and tools for free.
Now that is awesome.
March 9, 2010 5:15:10 PM

also - does this mean that the original Crysis could have ran better FPS on higher setting with lesser hardware?
March 9, 2010 5:16:14 PM

rebturtleSo now EVERYTHING can run Crysis? What will we spam the hardware review comments with now?

Cryostasis
March 9, 2010 5:18:34 PM

Bet it doesn't cost less
March 9, 2010 5:18:34 PM

cptnjarheadalso - does this mean that the original Crysis could have ran better FPS on higher setting with lesser hardware?

New engine. It COULD have (anything could have with better optimization) but its not like they are going to recode the original for the release of a sequel.
March 9, 2010 5:25:38 PM

Quote:
New engine. It COULD have (anything could have with better optimization) but its not like they are going to recode the original for the release of a sequel.

So if that is true.. then they where lazy or motivated by someone or something to push hardware requirements. I'm thinking just lazy.
I think they should revise/recode of the original. Sell it for $20 or so on a cross platform release. Add a couple of new extras. Crysis-Reloaded addition. XBOX,Windows Live, PS3.
Hell they already have the game. Rebagg it and ship it.
March 9, 2010 5:26:30 PM

the reality of the situation is that they are programming it for the consoles and releasing it on pc as an inclusion not an exclusive release. So the graphics will be about the same (see the pics of the 360 or ps3 version) as the original but able to be run on a console. Sort of a double edged sword for pc gamers though as the graphics will not be much better (i.e. no tessellation or godrays or whatever for a guess) but it will run better and you wont have to have an i7 965 and quad sli to get 60fps. So six of one in the end...
March 9, 2010 5:31:42 PM

Good news for all Crysis fans. I enjoyed the orginal Crysis, hope there will be performance improvements they've promised without any noticeable impact on image quality.
March 9, 2010 5:39:40 PM

what Crysis needs now is a good story like Mass Effect.
March 9, 2010 5:41:43 PM

Oh how short memories are... When Crytek released Crysis they were all about how good and advanced their engine was and how it would push the hardware envelope. Now with this new engine they claim the same thing and hindsight just proves that the last engine was useless at what it was designed for, to actually run a game, not just create interesting screen shots. As for the game itself I thought the story and narrow maps were outdated and the AI was just useless... who remembers 'Hello, anybody there?... ALARM!!!'?
As the new engine will also be console compatible I guess DX11 won't feature too often either, so I guess its more a case of Deja Vu than out with the old and in with the new.
March 9, 2010 5:42:50 PM

I have to say, I'd rather them require a wicked system and max that system out.

While the original Crysis engine was by no means perfect, it was very much so "all it could be."

I wish we could have seen that again here.
March 9, 2010 5:47:08 PM

i thought the crysis 2 screen shots looked like crap.

very disappointed.
March 9, 2010 5:55:27 PM

I bet the original would have had lower requirements if you'd remove all the trees, bushes and other vegetation. Let's say... an urban setting instead of a jungle? Hey wow, what an optimization feat!
March 9, 2010 5:59:31 PM

"MAXIMUM #$%@!"
March 9, 2010 6:00:23 PM

What's the matter with you people? If a new engine is better and more efficient than the last one, that means the last one was crap? People come up with new ways of doing things all the time. It's called progress. Geez, get a grip!
March 9, 2010 6:05:12 PM

was he at the "india" game developers summit" or the "indie game developers summit"....

Toms, typo alert..
March 9, 2010 6:11:37 PM

It just mean that the PC hardware will go wasted.
March 9, 2010 6:12:06 PM

isnt crysis 1 supposed to be a trilogy? since we only have that and warhead where is the third crysis??????
March 9, 2010 6:15:24 PM

@jarmo
This does take place in a jungle too...
The Concrete Jungle!!! :D 
March 9, 2010 6:19:48 PM

False_Dmitry_IICryostasis

I couldnt agree more. But it was so bad it wasnt even funny...
March 9, 2010 6:27:28 PM

cptnjarheadSo if that is true.. then they where lazy or motivated by someone or something to push hardware requirements. I'm thinking just lazy.I think they should revise/recode of the original. Sell it for $20 or so on a cross platform release. Add a couple of new extras. Crysis-Reloaded addition. XBOX,Windows Live, PS3. Hell they already have the game. Rebagg it and ship it.

Do you know how much that would cost them?
March 9, 2010 6:28:40 PM

"lower system requirements"
directly compared to the first Crysis or in proportion to the graphics/beauty?
I mean Crysis had a minimum requirement that was lower than the 6800GT, whether they improved graphics on Crysis 2 or not, surely they can't have EVEN LOWER minimum requirements in Q3 2010, like a 6600??
March 9, 2010 6:32:09 PM

Lower system requirements and better graphics is a great way to bring new people to PC gaming. Before, one had to have the best money could buy but now more and more people can jump into the PC gaming world, which is good.
March 9, 2010 6:34:00 PM

"Cloak, engaged"...
March 9, 2010 6:45:06 PM

JarmoI bet the original would have had lower requirements if you'd remove all the trees, bushes and other vegetation. Let's say... an urban setting instead of a jungle? Hey wow, what an optimization feat!

haha i was thinking the same thing, it's like wow all these building sure look good, but there is only like 8 of them on screen at any time compared, to 50 tree, and 100 bushes in the last one. ohh! snap look these urban environments can run on ps3 and xbox!
March 9, 2010 6:57:54 PM

and here i thought i would have to upgrade to play this. now i can spend my saved money on other things. YAY!
Anonymous
March 9, 2010 7:13:22 PM

Sad...
Crysis was, is and unfortunately will be the last and greatest hallmark of the PC gaming technological innovation.
3+ years and counting with no tech surpassing it, not even its own sequel...
And for all the whiners crysis is one of the most truly scalable games ever. So Crysis 2 should have looked like the screen shots for the PS3/X360 crowd and be true to its heritage push the technical barrier in its PC only highest setting to never seen before...
March 9, 2010 7:22:25 PM

JarmoI bet the original would have had lower requirements if you'd remove all the trees, bushes and other vegetation. Let's say... an urban setting instead of a jungle? Hey wow, what an optimization feat!

You got it in 1
Anonymous
March 9, 2010 7:24:02 PM

It doesn't have to be lower system requirements AND better graphics at the same time. It just sounds like they are going to make the new engine run on a more broad spectrum of machines.
March 9, 2010 7:33:16 PM

There are already some great mods/tweaks for crysis that improve performance, so it is not surprising the devs can do the same.
March 9, 2010 7:36:31 PM

I'm sorry, but this is unbelievable marketing BS. The first Crysis still holds the crown with just a few config tweaks. This is just optimized in the sense that most of the stuff is ripped out. NOW cryengine3 with the destruction is what i'm look forward 2. Hopefully after this one step back with the cryengine2 they will at least go 2 steps forward.

Mster Config 3.0 (watch all the way through.. its amazing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTYqMwPG74Y&feature=rela...
March 9, 2010 7:42:36 PM

Better performance with less taxing system requirements? I would certainly hope so, given the technological advances that happen over the course of three years...
March 9, 2010 7:51:14 PM

Crysis' first engine was garbage. They completely rebuilt the Crytek engine for this very reason. So in a sense, this should have been implemented in the first place.

Everyone knew it was poorly optimized...
March 9, 2010 7:52:33 PM

Please, Crytek, NO MORE ALIENS it makes the game boring. Only the first couple of levels of Crysis 1 are fun. Fighting aliens is as overdone (or moreso) than WWII games.

But ya it would be good to have a low system requirement. Crysis Warhead only achieves me 32fps with my rig and I expected more.
March 9, 2010 7:57:09 PM

Quote:
Crysis 2 will have lower system requirements and better graphics than the original Crysis PC game.

I think that it means that the engine scales better, so a weak graphics processor(Intel HD graphics?) can run the game playably on low settings, while Radeon 5870/GTX 480 users can get better detail when they maximize their settings.
Anonymous
March 9, 2010 8:20:17 PM

who knows, maybe my mom's A64 3200+ and hd 2600 could play crysis 2 on low or something!
and i could get higher frames with 4890.
now more people can play!
March 9, 2010 8:27:05 PM

what we need is other game titles using cry engine.
March 9, 2010 8:27:09 PM

I always believed that the only reason Crysis ran like crap when it launched was just a bad engine design. I thought I was proved right when Crysis Warhead ran better and looked better: same engine, but a few tweaks and optimizations and poof, everything runs better.

But for CryEngine3 to run better while requiring less, I don't think this will look that much more fantastically better. Probably they'll get the lighting a little lighter and the color engine revamped, but I really expect this to be "CryEngine2: the way it was supposed to be in the first place."
March 9, 2010 8:50:06 PM

Lower req..pfuu..because of the other platforms(X-box and PS3). They can't support that much "video"..
This is not the thing i want to heard and thanks to the cry engine 3 the game resembles more like plastic. A few effects are missing and the new ones don't quite compensate:( . At list that is my opinion.
PS: i will play it anyway because i like games in a part of my free time.
March 9, 2010 9:00:35 PM

Crysis 2 looks horrible compared to the original. Another case of dumbing down so it can be put on a console. I wouldn't hold my breath for DX11 on the PC since it is very obvious that all they wanted to do was make it look as good as it could for the console. Not make it look as good as it should be. They are following in the footsteps of IW and iD of being born for the PC and then abandoning what made them who they are today.
March 9, 2010 9:26:30 PM

I think what made Crysis so successful was it's ability to push all computers to absolute limits, how many people heard about Crysis from friends and the internet telling them how crazy it was in this respect. Once you remove what made it so unique you'll end up seeing it fall in line with every other sci-fi shooter of it's type. No on will talk about Crysis 2 like they did the first one. I'm all for allowing it to run with lower settings on slower systems, but if it can't recreate what everyones vision of Crysis is, then I think it will fail.
March 9, 2010 9:40:49 PM

I hope they port this to iPad
March 9, 2010 10:04:20 PM

good work crytek, you have gone up on my respect list. I always thought that crysis was a *bit* inefficient, some of the hard barriers hit in performance no matter how beefy the graphics card suggested some less than stellar programming, I fully believe they can offer more for less with cryengine 2
!