Sign in with
Your question

Sad state of computer gaming

Last response: in Video Games
September 30, 2007 9:24:01 PM

Most of us are aware of articles that cover the downfall of computer gaming. While i am a believer that computer gaming will always persist but the reality hit me yesterday as i walked into my local Gamestop retailer. Out of 100 feet of wall space, only 1 5-foot section was sectioned for computer games. Uggh!! There was also a small 'kiosk' devoted to computer games that was no taller than 4 feet and about 4 feet wide as well. What a shame!

I'm not predicting the demise of computer gaming I am just amazed at the difference in sales based upon retail shelving.
September 30, 2007 11:23:47 PM

I walked into a gamestop a few months ago in Somersworth, NH and there was a half rack with 3 shelves sitting in the middle of the room with PC games, there were no new games on it either. I think I saw Half-Life 2 EP1, but that was probably one of the newer games on it. As much as I hate Best Buy, they do have an entire row about 25ft long with 3 shelves devoted to PC games.
October 1, 2007 2:09:02 AM

I'd agree there are far fewer PC games about now. While some games are not that good or less than hyped it's nowhere as bad as it used to be. At least there are very few totally worthless PC games on them shelves.
I wouldn't like to be a start up dev or distributer though now, must be real hard to get product onto them PC shelves now.
Related resources
October 3, 2007 7:06:13 PM

I've been playing PC games for 25+ years, and if I had a nickel for every time someone dusted off the "Death of PC Gaming" argument I could probably buy a healthy stake in Microsoft. While it is irritating that game-specific stores rarely carry much in the way of PC games, plenty of other retail outlets continue to support them (Fry's leaps to mind in my part of the country), online sales are fine, and digital distribution is an option for PC gamers that console types can't really experience. PC games take several years to create, are often overhyped, often delayed, and there are few opportunities for a big splashy release; PCs don't get reintroduced like consoles do, so there are fewer opportunities to tie your game product to a new launch. PCs aren't going away anytime soon, and as long as there are PCs, there will be PC games.
October 3, 2007 7:13:15 PM

Consoels have really caught up. No one can deny that any more. 10 years ago your choice was between Half Life or a console game; the choice was pretty simple for a serious gamer..
October 3, 2007 8:48:11 PM

I had to look at the date on the thread, could've sworn this was talked about maybe 3 months ago?

Anyways, I dare you to play ALL those console titles and report to me how many are actually GOOD atleast and not some TOTAL crap.

The 3 EB Games (2 dif cities) I go mostly have the best PC games, even games from like 10 years ago (nobody buys but me :)  )

PS Were you looking at the "GAMES FOR WINDOWS" shelf? There's only like 5 titles so far lol.
October 4, 2007 4:32:34 AM

Hello, I'm new to these forums, I've been a PC gamer for many years, and I've heard people say, "PC gaming is dieing." more times than I can count. I like consoles as much as the next guy, but I just enjoy playing on the PC more, however, for the life of me I will never understand why people clam PC gaming is dieing. As guruofchem said, it is irritating that game-specific store don't seem to care about PC gaming, but that hardly means it's dieing. I believe that if we were able to get the sale numbers for digitally distributed PC games, and monthly pay-for games such as World of Warcraft, most people would be surprised. I think that as long as we have PCs there will be PC games.
October 4, 2007 9:32:56 AM

PC's are here to stay, what a lot of people don’t think about is that we will always need PC’s in this world. The only natural progression for a console is to evolve in to a PC like device that does everything a PC does. So if anything will ever happen it will be that consoles will die and not the PC’s. As long as there are PC’s in the world there will be people designing games for them. If it was not for the PC market being like it is, consoles would not be nearly as good as they are today.
October 4, 2007 12:03:02 PM

Sure, Half Life 2 sold like half of Half Life, C&C franchise - 25 mil copies (ALOT of games though, and some were remakes on consoles..)?

Quote:
The Red Alert sub-series is certified by the Guinness Book of Records as the best selling real-time strategy game in the world, with over 12 million units sold.[citation needed] This makes up over half of the 21 million copies of C&C sold prior to the launch of Command & Conquer: Generals in 2003

Prior to Generals, and Tiberium Wars.

The Sims? You know why they're not on any list? Because it would make any such PC Game list OBSOLETE as it would be cluttered with THE SIMS! WoW is nothing compared... seriously. Both games SUCK imho, I just can't stand either (i've played them both..)

Here's a fairly accurate list.
http://www.gunslot.com/blog/top-twenty-five-25-selling-...

I blame the "pc gaming is dying" on SONY!

Cafuddled is right, console are going the way of the VCR, they need PCs to survive, consoles are PCs with a different OS LOL.
October 5, 2007 4:44:02 PM

You all may not agree with me but I think that the PC gaming industry is missing out on a lot of money by not creating games that can be easily played on Linux based systems. Come on people get with it, there is a huge market out there. Damn windows has a monoploly and it aint fair...................................computer games will not go away as long as there is a market for them. A lot of people own both computers and consoles. Some games are better on consoles others on PC's. I don't think that will ever change.
October 5, 2007 6:23:23 PM

Yeah, I gave up on the "game stores" a long time ago and now shop those stores that still decently stock PC titles.

Anyhow, as far as the PC/console supremacy debate goes, its really the 'next gen' concept that gets me. As one other poster pointed out, the 'next gen' consoles are getting increasingly PC-like. There's a reason for this - both Sony and MS would love to become the producers of the 'next gen' of entirely proprietary PCs. Seriously, the "next" next gen consoles will probably have keyboards and mice, and just be gaming-geared PCs. If the price trends go as they have been, they will also be just about as expensive as a standard PC as well (maybe not, as MS and Sony really throw themselves on their swords on the console pricing).

Whoever "wins" the "war" will have a large base of users of their proprietary system over which they will have absolute control (over the systems, not the users, although the "Halo" hype might indicate otherwise). They will also have control over all of the software available for their system and get a slice of every piece of it. Pretty sweet deal for the winner. Unfortunately, the end-user in a post-standard formats world is the real loser.

Not that the PC universe is without its issues in this area - you basically need Windows to use most of the useful software and definitely need it if you want to play games. The upside is that as long as you can get your product to work on DX9 or 10, you can market it directly, without having to go through MS or pay them a slice, which allows for developers to come up with some diverse and interesting stuff.

October 5, 2007 7:51:48 PM

stemnin said:

The 3 EB Games (2 dif cities) I go mostly have the best PC games, even games from like 10 years ago (nobody buys but me :)  )

PS Were you looking at the "GAMES FOR WINDOWS" shelf? There's only like 5 titles so far lol.

Consider yourself lucky you still HAVE EB Games stores - all the ones in my neck of the woods are now Gamestop stores, and they crap on PC games worse than EB ever did. I used to buy plenty of good used PC titles from EB, but once they got bought out those went bye bye... :cry: 
October 6, 2007 2:43:28 AM

Kind of off topic, but I've always wondered why console fanboys argue so much over which console is best. It doesn't make much sense to me because in essence you are just backing a huge corporation, but perhaps they just like arguing.
October 6, 2007 5:15:49 AM

I dont know Ive bought consol's for my kid';s but im a extreme pc gamer if I cant build it and then game on it, it aint no fun. I think most of the problem is game pc cost a small fourtune anymore if your just buying them. I get as much fun out of building my owne as plalying the game sometime's. But that' just me. BA
October 6, 2007 8:06:29 PM

One of the challenges that PC gaming industry is probably facing now is that it is becoming more difficult and costly to produce great games. People have become used to anticipating more detailed and visually stunning gaming worlds after each new game. Nowadays companies working on games with stunning graphics and level of detail need to do more serious research than before into various things. For example, the company working on Assassin's Creed had to hire several historians as consultants on clothing, armor, weapons and towns of the medieval era. Crytek had to gather video and photo material from some tropical region for Crysis. Ten years ago game companies didn't really need to go into visual matters so deeply when creating 3D graphics for games because graphics weren't so sophisticated. Nowadays if they don't research, the game might end up with great but somehow unnatural or unrealistic graphics, physics, objects and overall environment.
October 7, 2007 1:50:50 AM

PC Gaming is hitting a point where it's kind of killing itself. Games are coming out that a lot of regular Joe's can not purchase and play out of the box at decent settings. Which was the case, say, ten years back. I used to be able to go to the store and buy a game and play it on any one of the PCs i had in the house and it looked fairly good on any of them, but now, they tax the system so much for high graphics that it takes a lot of investment into your PC to actually play game son really nice settings, and sadly for the average Joe, they don't want to invest that, so they buy the console, a mere one time investment. :( 
October 7, 2007 2:40:10 AM

Our Kmart does not even have a PC games section so I kinda agree that consoles have taken over. OTOH lots of cool looking games are about to come out or have just come out so it is an exciting time for PC gamers.

Crysis!!!
FarCry2
COD-4
Gears for PC
BioShock
World in Conflict
Stranglehold
Halo3....more?

October 9, 2007 9:04:33 AM

we are a minority
i know that the gaming industry has picked up enormously over the last couple of years but we are still in the minority.
the pickup in the gaming industry is driven by console accessibility and ease of use.
this is the way it will stay so while consoles will pick large quantities of casual and nontechie gamers the pc and its gaming base will stay the smaller faction.

the emergence of network play console games and high speed networks will make the predominantly pc online experience diminish
games like wow are being replaced by console versions
as silly as playing a fps with a controller may seem to me
people will do it because switching on the console and playing a couple of rounds is soo damn easy.

i love the fact that ive got my own name for my pc
for everything inside is from my decisions and my build and my media
that is one thing the console will never hold

i dont have the statistics to back up my views
its just my view
October 9, 2007 10:41:50 AM

As far as the talk on the downfall of computer gaming i think its full of shi t. :non: 
OK first of all some people dont have a clue! just because your shop doesnt have them, many others do or you can get them **on line**. Look below @ the new games coming out this month its more than ** 50 ** so dont worry about it :)  Ive travelled the world and ive seen wall to wall pc games, ITS ALL GOOD. mostly.
Ive also worked in a pc shop with about 70 meters of pc games on the wall. o yeaaa o yeaaa
ps: If it wasnt for you pirates out there the game industry would be a lot better, thanks for nothing you guys.

AVENCAST: Rise of the Mage Role-Playing 10/01/2007
Ghost in the Sheet Adventure 10/02/2007
Spider-man: Friend or Foe Action 10/02/2007
World of Warcraft Battlechest Adventure 10/02/2007
Tabula Rasa Limited Collector’s Edition Role-Playing 10/02/2007
Scrabble 2007 New Edition Classics/Puzzles 10/05/2007
Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull Adventure 10/08/2007
The Chosen: Well of Souls Action Gone Gold
ArmA: Queen's Gambit Simulation 10/08/2007
The Orange Box Action 10/09/2007
Sega Rally Revo Sports 10/09/2007
FIFA 08 Sports 10/09/2007
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer Role-Playing 10/09/2007
Fury Role-Playing 10/09/2007
RACE 07: The WTCC Game Sports Gone Gold
American Civil War: 1861 to1865 Strategy 10/12/2007
Overclocked Adventure 10/12/2007
Painkiller: Overdose Action 10/15/2007
The Lost Crown: A Ghost-hunting Adventure Adventure 10/15/2007
Command & Conquer Saga Strategy 10/15/2007
Agatha Christie: Evil Under the Sun Simulation 10/15/2007
Albatross18 Season 3 Role-Playing 10/15/2007
Dawn of Magic Role-Playing 10/16/2007
Zoo Tycoon 2: Extinct Animals Simulation Gone Gold
Warmonger, Operation: Downtown Destruction Action 10/16/2007
Death to Spies Action Gone Gold
You Are Empty Action 10/16/2007
Heroes of Might & Magic V: Tribes of the East Role-Playing 10/16/2007
Tabula Rasa Role-Playing 10/16/2007
Thrillville: Off the Rails Simulation 10/16/2007
King of Clubs Simulation 10/19/2007
NBA Live 08 Sports 10/19/2007
Panzer Killer Action 10/23/2007
Flight Simulator X: Acceleration Simulation Gone Gold
Disney Princess: Enchanted Journey Action 10/23/2007
Backyard Football '08 Sports 10/23/2007
Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties Simulation Gone Gold
Culpa Innata Adventure 10/23/2007
Age of Empires III Gold Edition Strategy 10/23/2007
Clive Barker's Jericho Action 10/23/2007
Escape from Paradise City Action 10/24/2007
My Horse and Me Simulation 10/26/2007
Alan Hansen’s Sports Challenge Classics/Puzzles 10/26/2007
Cheggers Party Quiz Classics/Puzzles 10/26/2007
Bee Movie Game Action 10/30/2007
Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder Adventure 10/30/2007
The Office Adventure 10/30/2007
Universe at War: Earth Assault Strategy 10/30/2007
TimeShift Action 10/30/2007
The Witcher Role-Playing 10/30/2007
Need for Speed Pro Street Collector's Edition Sports 10/30/2007
Hellgate London Collector's Edition Action 10/30/2007
Need for Speed ProStreet Sports 10/31/2007
Hellgate: London Role-Playing 10/31/2007
Universal Combat Collectors Edition Strategy 10/31/2007
October 9, 2007 11:55:07 AM

sillywabbit said:
Most of us are aware of articles that cover the downfall of computer gaming. While i am a believer that computer gaming will always persist but the reality hit me yesterday as i walked into my local Gamestop retailer. Out of 100 feet of wall space, only 1 5-foot section was sectioned for computer games. Uggh!! There was also a small 'kiosk' devoted to computer games that was no taller than 4 feet and about 4 feet wide as well. What a shame!

I'm not predicting the demise of computer gaming I am just amazed at the difference in sales based upon retail shelving.

Apologies for dropping in late to this discussion but there is a fundamental flaw in using the used shelf space in retail shops as a measure for how well a particular segment is doing.

You are ignoring games sales online, and even worse, you are ignoring online delivery systems like Steam or DirectPlay (or whatever it's called specifically, we don't have it in Europe) or others. I think retail shops are directly losing a lot of sales to either of these two outlets, and the online delivery systems are PC only, console retail sales are not affected by that. In combination with a market segment that is definitely smaller than the console market, that introduces the effect you see in retail space. It is not a measure of how well the PC gaming market is doing (far from it, even).
October 10, 2007 7:54:03 AM

Quite. And with DRM going the way it is, online delivery systems are likely to become more popular.
October 10, 2007 11:56:56 AM

Follow the money?

1. It takes a lot more to invest to make a good game especially on the PC

2. PC makers do not get a piece of the games that are made so the business model of that segment is quite different from consoles makers that get royalties for each console game made, sooo... the console maker can lose on the console sale and make it up in the games. Game developers mostly stand alone.

3.Coding for PC's is more difficult because of the many different possibilities. You do not want to out code the market too much or you will not have sales for your long, hard investment.

4. You have to balance what the CPU & Video card possibilities may be capable of years in advance. With consoles it is set .

All in all the variables and unkown make it more difficult to do a geat job on the PC.

I love my keyboard and mouse - can't stand console controllers. Only console I have ever enjoyed is the Wii I may get a PS3 for Blu-Ray and RockBand this Christmas. I Hope PC gaming stays alive, but it is a different business model than consoles and that means challenges. Bungie cut the umbilical cord from M$ and that is a good sign that it can be done butthey also work in both console and PC camps. That may be the future of gaming-companies that can crossover and give a good game on all platforms whether PC or console as one can support the other as far as advertising budget, reduced development cost overall, etc. Kudos to Crytek - Valve- the C&C franchise, Petroglyph . These guys have delivered quality every time out on the PC in my HUMBLE opinion. Others are available for honorable mention. I like RTS's but never got into the Blizzard stuff but they are anothe that has survived and led the way as far as PC Games go and I am sure there are others so don't flsame me for not mentioning them. These are just my personal favorites. My first game machines were Commodore Pets and TRS-80's, and I was an adult when those came out

LONG-LIVE PC GAMING
October 12, 2007 1:48:01 AM

According to my industry contacts, Gamestop gets the most profitability from buying and selling used games, because used games have much higher profit margins.

Because of install codes, DRM, and piracy, that won't work for the PC market.
October 12, 2007 7:28:36 AM

Sengoku said:
According to my industry contacts, Gamestop gets the most profitability from buying and selling used games, because used games have much higher profit margins.

Because of install codes, DRM, and piracy, that won't work for the PC market.

Dang you beat me to it Sengoku. Sames go's for buy & selling used cars, the dealer makes its money in the service department. I bought my first PC 2 years ago and I have played games that have knocked my socks off (Oblivion) and haven't owned a console since then. PC games are much more deverse and complex like Silent Hunter 3, GRAW with its huge maps.

PC games have touched me in a way that a console game could not and I've owned consoles all my life. I have no intrest in consoles at all.
October 12, 2007 10:10:30 AM

Why do pirates always get the blame for poor sales?, be it music/,movies or games.
Sure there are some people that will pirate every game but the majority buy the games they want. Any games that they play that are pirated they are more than likely not buy in the first place anyway as they wouldn't be interested in playing them if they had to pay for them.
October 12, 2007 3:11:54 PM

As others have said, I think a big issue is the price of hardware. It costs almost as much or more for a gtx as a ps3 or 360 and I think, at least for right now, the graphics are comparable. Then on top of that you need the rest of the system so for a gaming pc, if your primary use is gaming, will cost you 2-3 times the cost of a console.
October 12, 2007 5:16:34 PM

Console's still suck for FPS.

This fall is like a PC gamers dream, way too many good games then I have time for.
October 12, 2007 5:54:26 PM

The sad thing is that this post is still going. Why can't you enjoy both and not feel like every gaming company is screwing people over?
October 12, 2007 6:37:30 PM

hitman04 said:
The sad thing is that this post is still going. Why can't you enjoy both and not feel like every gaming company is screwing people over?

I couldn't agree more.

But it's hard not to get nostalgic sometimes. I remember walking into Babbages in the late 90s (when I started PC gaming for real; I was a PS gamer before that) and seeing the walls covered with PC games. In HUGE colorful boxes. There would be a small section devoted to PS1 games. Maybe a rack of SNES games.

For people who started PC gaming more than 5 years ago it's a vastly different world. And it's never coming back. That's frustrating.

You have to let people blow off steam every once in a while.
October 12, 2007 8:43:12 PM

Since I am a Personal trainer who does most work in a persons home. I come to you.
Trend:Very rich dentist has two kids,9 and 12, said having huge flatsceen in finished basement, second said play PS2, &c.
Noticing expensive said T.V., lends incredibley-beautiful graphics for platform games that these lucky kids are at it, at it!
Upstairs Mom and said doctor have a sixhundred-dollar bagain PC for email, &c. That the kids are not to toach for pain of death.
Many other kids like these explode-into the Gaming store up the street, buying incredible numbers of Platform titles, as the lone(as someone noted) stand of PC games gathers dust in the back-corner untill I come in and buy F.E.A.R; as I tend to enjoy PC games, still playing DOOM2, &c.
By-now you see the trend as it stands.
How is my 3 year-old P4-3.2g, IGRAM, NV8100XT going to play these great new PC games, since I'm low on cash and cann't spend 2grand and up or build one since I am new to TH-and have not spent the time to learn as I should have. I will not buy a Platform, since I am a die-hard PC Game fan.
October 13, 2007 12:08:58 AM

I'm a long time PC gamer and console gamer as well. To me the PC is with out a doubt the champ when its comes to gaming. The simple reasons onto why is because its a forever evolving.

Lets take a look at game quilty. The ratio of good to bad games in the console world is a grim reality consoles are bombarded with games and its like bobing for apples sadly most are rotten to the core. Not to mention the few good games never exceed anything on PC and can be ported.

Taking a look at PC games the quilty has to be good because PC gamers demand it! Not only do we get great titles all the time but we also have a huge demand that these games be moddable as well. Transforming the game into something different and usally for free.

Graphics are a tricky one. A new console may hold the title of best graphics for months at best. But the new hardware and games for the PC will soon dominate it. Once the console is 1-2 years old the consoles graphics won't be anything to gloat about to a PC gamers.

Price however is where the PC takes a loss. Sadly buying a hardcore highend system will cost you more than a PS3,360, and a Wii combined.
But with the drastic price hikes on the consoles and claims from the companys that they actully lose money with each sale hoping to regain it through the games is starting to make me wonder if the future consoles will reach the 1000-1200 pricetages.

The console companys have silently admitted that the PC is better. Thats why generation after generation they become more and more PC like. Someday you will be buying a console that does everything a PC can in a small box that hooks up to your TV. (although you can use your TV for your PC too) There is no such thing as a console anymore... simply hybrids.
October 13, 2007 3:01:01 AM

hitman04 said:

So true, games on the 360 are third person like GRAW 1 & 2 and Gears Of War.
October 13, 2007 5:45:18 AM

It will inevitably come down to a simple case of economics...

As the demand for PC games goes down (arguable, but it is evident that the demand is not rising), the price for the games will go down as well. The supply (i.e. game developers) will continually turn more and more towards console-based games searching for profit, while the computer enthusiast will have to wait for the PC mod. Eventually, I see the next-next-generation of consoles (X-box 720? 1080??) being exactly like a contemporary computer...except for the interchangeable parts. That is where Sony and Microsoft (throw in Nintendo too) will be making their money, is on the fact that their conveniently named 'consoles' (which are really PCs) will keep their consumers dedicated to their brand.

Perhaps we will get a 3rd (4th counting Nintendo) console that allows for upgradeable parts. But, alas, this company would inevitably confront the software/intellectual rights problem that keeps us where we are.

(I am sorry, I diverged from my original line of thought)

Eventually, I can see the hardware graphics companies having to invest/acquire in their own game developers, in order to keep the PC enthusiast buying the latest greatest graphics card and hardware.
October 13, 2007 4:27:22 PM

Another problem is that PCs have already reached the point when all of the important office programs (Windows OS, Microsoft Word, Exel, Power Point, Internet browsers, ordinary video and painting programs etc.) load up and work sufficiently fast. Now games are the only reason to upgrade PC, unless you work as an engineer and need a modern computer for your work.
October 13, 2007 6:59:35 PM

Consoles are better and always be better at gaming because they were made for gaming. Even gaming PCs aren't made for gaming. They are just a fancy way of High-Performance PCs.
October 13, 2007 8:35:10 PM

itotallybelieveyou said:
Consoles are better and always be better at gaming because they were made for gaming. Even gaming PCs aren't made for gaming. They are just a fancy way of High-Performance PCs.

Try and run crysis on that console.

Pc gaming will ALWAYS be around as long as the pc is. When pc's are dead that is when pc gaming will be also. consoles will probably die bout the same time, because something better came out to take the place of both.

The console is nothing more than the industry figuring out how to make more money. Any console game can be run on a pc, but a pc game generally cannot be run on a console. Funny how in the last few years they are starting to offer more accessories to try and convince people to buy consoles. Hey now we are going to offer internet access,with blue ray player, there is even an optional keyboard, check your e-mail...ect, ect. . Err sounds kinda like my pc.

that doesn't mean consoles are bad. I have nothing personal against a consoles, i like most other gamers like the keyboard and mouse over a controller.

Oh, i saw a statistic a while back said something like there 5 times more people playing pc games than console. Don't if they figured in the fact that half the consoles demographic probably cannot spell yet.
October 14, 2007 2:29:28 AM

raze said:
Try and run crysis on that console.

Pc gaming will ALWAYS be around as long as the pc is. When pc's are dead that is when pc gaming will be also. consoles will probably die bout the same time, because something better came out to take the place of both.

The console is nothing more than the industry figuring out how to make more money. Any console game can be run on a pc, but a pc game generally cannot be run on a console. Funny how in the last few years they are starting to offer more accessories to try and convince people to buy consoles. Hey now we are going to offer internet access,with blue ray player, there is even an optional keyboard, check your e-mail...ect, ect. . Err sounds kinda like my pc.

that doesn't mean consoles are bad. I have nothing personal against a consoles, i like most other gamers like the keyboard and mouse over a controller.

Oh, i saw a statistic a while back said something like there 5 times more people playing pc games than console. Don't if they figured in the fact that half the consoles demographic probably cannot spell yet.

Nah no way... Alot more people definitely game more on console. Don't get me wrong I got 2.5k PC and my friends always say "Console can do anything and run any game with zero lag on a 60" tv at $700 max you are a ******** to buy a pc" I dont think that's true Halo 3 single player hits low fps ALOT (any battle scene) maybe it's because I have stare more then 50 fps for smoothness but it definitely lags. I love my PC hooked up a 1080i tv and laying on my couch with a wireless keyboard and mouse. now MY pc runs any game with no lag. No doubt 360 or PS3 CAN run crysis but graphics definitely wont match up to high end pcs on DX10. Xbox 360 is not DX10 capable PS3 i'm not but it certainly dont have a 8800 GTX on it.
October 14, 2007 6:51:20 AM

Consoles pretty much display at a lower res than most peoples games PC no matter if it's on a 14 inch monitor or 60inch tv
October 14, 2007 8:53:26 AM

The only time a console would be able to match a PC in resolution for the most brand-spanking new game would be right at the launch of the 'next-generation'. After that, the PC games would be pushing the envelope and consoles would have to wait for the next cycle of redundant machines in order to get back to the cusp.
October 14, 2007 1:26:36 PM

Belinda said:
Consoles pretty much display at a lower res than most peoples games PC no matter if it's on a 14 inch monitor or 60inch tv

They also run low AA setting to, have you seen those jaggys on Halo?
October 14, 2007 3:00:08 PM

Console only peepz just wanna play they dont care... When i get a new game first i do is crank up the setting then pull up fraps. next i take zooming weapon and stare at the texture quality. then i get to playing.
October 18, 2007 11:04:26 PM

One thing PC has and will always have : RTS.

Yes it's a niché, but it's a damn good niché.
October 19, 2007 2:55:33 AM

Srry mate Tiberum Wars was already ported to 360 with good reviews
October 23, 2007 9:57:45 AM

sirkillalot said:

ps: If it wasnt for you pirates out there the game industry would be a lot better, thanks for nothing you guys.

Rubbish. I've downloaded games. besides, a lot of studies have shown that if people hadn;t downloaded games, then they wouldn't have bought them, same as films and music. and surely people downloading would <i><b>increase</i></b> the gaming scene? more poeple playing would boost, the place, even if the market suffered.

I think that developers have realised this, hence the recent increase in collector's editions and special bonus packs that can only come with the box, such as Assassins creed new tin, Half life tin, Guild wars collectors editions... need i go on?
October 23, 2007 10:54:32 AM

There will allways be good games for PC. Just look at this Nov-Dec launchs. Crysis e.g. will pwn any game that is currently available on Earth, and it not a game of the present, its a game of the future.

Thing is PC games will always exist and be better as time goes by, because the PC hardware needs it too to progress in the social market. Good agressive games makes people upgrade their PC.

October 23, 2007 1:23:18 PM

I personally prefer PC games over any console game, any time, every time. The modability and customization that can be done on the pc platform is fantastic! (CS:S - Zombie Mod ftw!) Consoles are for kids and casual gamers (there are exceptions) - You buy the console + games and play it. Computers require you to A.) Pay someone to build your system (Often insanely expensive from a vendor) B.) Build the system your self. This is what makes me love my PC even more - knowing I built it and seeing what is capable of.

I hardly believe PC gaming is dieing, but rather that the "fat is being trimmed". What I mean is that a lot of the small, crappy games that cost just as much as the big titles are no longer there. No more Medieval Lad next to Quake Wars or something. Plus you can still go and play some old mainstream titles and see 5-12,000 multi player servers dedicated to that game.

Somewhat off-topic: I saw someone mention Sony and PC Games above. Sony sucks, hard. They released a piece of software (I don't think it was game related, but I hate Sony anyway) with spyware attached (and with no notification) and they got caught. Their response was something like "Why should people care about software we install if they don't understand it's function" -- I'll try to find the article for you guys.

Source!: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20051108/0117239.shtml

"Sony: Rootkits Are Okay, Because No One Knows What They Are
from the did-he-actually-say-that? dept

Sony's response to the whole rootkit fiasco has been anything but reassuring -- which is probably why they're facing a series of lawsuits about the matter. However, the folks over at Digg have highlighted what might be the single most ridiculous statement on the matter from a Sony executive during an NPR interview about the matter. After taking issue with anyone using the terms "spyware, malware or rootkit," Thomas Hesse, President of Sony's Global Digital Business, literally says: "Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?" Ah, right. Because people don't know about this technology that was installed without proper notification, which hides things on their computers, which can be misused by those with malicious intent to hide more software on their computers potentially causing all sorts of damage... they have nothing at all to worry about. This goes beyond the "trust us" response they were originally stating to the unfathomable rationale that what you don't know about can't possibly hurt you."
October 23, 2007 3:25:39 PM

The biggest problem with gaming in general is the market is flooded with worthless games.
(games that are full of bugs or just bad game play)

The problem right now on the PC is most gamers don't feel like upgrading their computer ever 2-3 years to play these new games, thats why you see so many people still playing old Half-life and Half-life2 mods/games.
The system requirements for those games are low unlike the games that came out this year.

October 23, 2007 3:53:09 PM

generally for pc games, they look better than the console games,

if you look at some console games, you will see that even though they look good, don't look as good as on the pc

but even with this, many pc games have more problems, one of the main ones are the DRM problems and copy protection crap built in, there just extra things to deal with

also many game makers are not staying with in the current hardware limits,

computers get faster every few months but gaming performance never gets better because they want to make use of the extra speed and this causes older pcs to miss out

if crysis were to come out for the PS3, it would sell a lot more, even though it wont look as good as it would on the PC, more people will buy it because not many users have computers that can handle crysis properly and there left with a decision

spend probably $1000 getting their pc ready for crysis or spend half that and get a ps3 and crysis

also I have the feeling that crysis will be a short game

many new pc games are getting shorter and are lacking fun game play,

also when a game maker mainly focuses on making a game look as good as possible, the quality of the gameplay goes down

and if your pc cant run the game at high settings, then you are left with bad gameplay and crappy graphics because they did not work hard on gameplay and your pc cant run the game at high settings

also not enough game makers make demos for their games

the statement never judge a book by it's cover applies to games also, a game can have a cool looking box but that doesn't make the game good. and no one is willing to spend $40-$60 on a game just to fine out if they like it or not

and for the ones that do make demos, they need to make better demos

so many times I have downloaded a demo just to get angry at the crappy gameplay because anything that could make the game fun was either not available or had the ad to buy the full version to unlock
when they do this, this makes them loose buyers because the demo was a turnoff

they need to stop removing important features from demos,

on tv when a new movie comes out, the tv ad usually shows lots of action

for the tv ad of the new resident evil movie only showed the scenes with just talking or with the lady sleeping would it gain as much hype?

I personally hate console gaming because to me it seems like a waste of money
300-$700 for a game system and $60 per game, + a monthly fee to play the games on line

would you buy battlefield 2 if they were charging a monthly fee to use the online multiplayer?

some of my friends use xbox live and pay a monthly fee to use it

you already spend $60 for the game, why spend a monthly fee just to play it on line ?
most xbox 360 games are now designed to be mostly online multiplayer based so now to even enjoy those games, you need to pay for xbox live

xbox live is $30 for 3 months and $60 for the 1 year package

so if you get the 1 year it is $60 a year just to play your multiplayer games that you spend $60 for

most PC gamers will generally have around 15-30 games while most console gamers will have around 2-5 games

5 games will cost you $350 when you add tax

that is more then the system it's self

and when you add the $60 a year thats $410 wasted in 1 year if you brought 5 games

October 23, 2007 4:27:12 PM

I'd say the number of absolutely terrible "Medieval Lad" games has decreased dramatically. I don't walk into a store and see WW2 shooters right next to Medal Of Honor claiming that they're "Voted #1 Shooter of 2003!" when they're really a piece of %^$# game made by a company trying to capitalize off of popular ideas.

About upgrading your PC every 2-3 years --- You do the same thing with consoles. XBOX and PS2 was the latest and greatest, but here comes XBOX360 w/ half the power of modern PC's and the new PS3 (Which actually isn't a bad deal if you want a BluRay since they cost about the same) Modern consoles pretty much USE the same parts PC use. Check it out. You'll actually be surprised at what goes into them compared to cost. You've got a computer, that's what it is, except you can't just upgrade single parts - you buy the "latest and greatest". Also, you can't mod console games to add replay value. You finish the game and buy a new one. This is probably one of the biggest reasons holding me back from purchasing a console. (I wouldn't be surprised if modding console games came a reality soon :D )

The main advantage for game makers to release games on consoles is that they aren't as easy to pirate. In order to use those pirated games - which are available for consoles btw - you have to actually take the console apart and mod it. This will void your warranty as well as scare most people away for fear of breaking their system.

Recently, I have noticed most gaming companies release their game over multiple platforms - PS3, XBOX, and PC - rather than focusing on just one console. So if someone pirates their PC game and sales aren't that great, they'll just focus more on the other markets.
October 23, 2007 6:38:08 PM

hcforde said:
My first game machines were Commodore Pets and TRS-80's, and I was an adult when those came out

LONG-LIVE PC GAMING

WOOT! Another old gamer! Now there's 2 of us! :bounce: 

I cut my teeth on Trash-80's and an Apple II+ (I remember that $200 16K RAM upgrade that made that 48K monster sing...). Point is, there were fun games to play back then (Original Wolfenstein, anyone?), there are fun games to play now, and there will be fun games to play while the PC continues to exist. Consoles are fine for the ADD set and kiddies, or for social gaming (the Wii really rocks - who'd a thunk it?), but if you want deep gameplay at the limits of technology, there is no substitute for a PC. Why else would consoles spend years trying to catch up with what a PC can already do?
!