jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Has anyone heard what the long term solution is going to be for bioshock. At the launch, there was talk of removing the DRM software from the CD entirely. I was hoping this would happen quite soon. I have been waiting to buy the game until the issues have been resolved. Has anyone heard anything about this?

SiriusStarr

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
Hear hear. The game sounds fantastic and I'll happily shell out my $49.99 for it...once the DRM is removed. I don't want SecuRom on my computer. I don't care if it's a rootkit or not; I don't want anything that hides from the OS, limits my systems functionality (prevents certain process explorers from running), and could lead to my game being worthless if I upgrade or crash too many times. The fact of the matter is that, on Windows, anything that can be a backdoor will be a backdoor within a month. I too have heard that they plan on completely removing the DRM "in the future" with no indication of when that will be.

Sorry, I'm just sick and tired of publishers punishing the honest customers. The game is cracked on Bittorrent; anybody who wants it illegitimately already has it; why continue to punish the loyal?

Honestly, it's this kind of stuff that makes me want to go found a huge underwater city away from it all.... :)

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I completely agree with SiriusStarr's post it sums up exactly how I feel too.

BTW I bought Bioshock when it first came out and was very disappointed. It doesn't come close to living up to all the hype. Its probably one of the most overrated games I've ever played.
Its a pretty basic 'kill everything' crawler with hardly any tactical plot and really crappy AI. Whats worse is that it only takes a couple of long evenings to complete and has no replay value due to the linear way the game is and lack of online mode. There's only a couple of places where the graphics are anything special. The outside views are laughable as they use a ridiculously low resolution pixellated 2D backdrop for the skyline. They obviously limited the graphics on the PC version to make it easier to share the same code/graphics with console versions, which really sucks and is really cheap.

Trust me, you're really not missing anything. Its certainly not worth $50. Save your money for UT3 or Crysis.

SiriusStarr

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
Hmm... Interesting... I've heard the water effects are spectacular. Just hype? From the reviews you'd think it's an only somewhat linear FPS, along the lines of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Is it really that linear?

cynewulf

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007

Most of the world (including myself) disagrees with you.

Sounds like you just ran through the whole thing without getting involved in the plot though. If you play it like a bog standard shooter and don't immerse yourself in the game world then that's what it'll become.

As for the DRM fiasco, there have been some extremely large mountains being made out of some very small molehills. A tool that removes the SecuROM protection will be welcome when it arrives but i'm quite happy to wait and play what is in fact a great game in the meantime.

Doesn't mean to say I won't be buying Crysis when that's released though :D

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I'll definitely be purchasing crysis as soon as it comes out. I'll also agree with Niz about the ocean backdrop. I have only played the demo but when i first saw the opening sequence as you enter Rapture, I was apalled at how fake it looked. The large Octopus/squid was especially fake. No time was spent on this sequence at all. The rest of the demo, however, had great graphics.

I just remember reading somewhere that 2k games was going to eventually remove the DRM software from the retail disks and I wondered if anyone knew if this is actually going to happen.