Fall Games Preview, Part 2

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
So many great games, so little time, unless you're Rob, you get paid! :pt1cable: This month for me is quiet, only getting Quake Wars (next month is gonna be insane!), ill get episode 2/portal/tf2 when it comes in a separate box, hellgate sounds good.

jwclark

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
"According to Codemasters, players will have conventional firearms and range-based weaponry but will also be able to harness psychic abilities on their missions. Of course, this sounds a lot like BioShock's stunningly good gameplay combination, and while it may not earn Jericho points for originality, it still sounds like the game will have plenty of action and excitement."
I don't agree with the whole not being original thing. Clive Barker's Undying is one of my favorite single player FPS of all time and it has that same combination of conventional fire-arms and psychic abilities that made the game so great...and original. Jericho may not be a direct sequel but you can hardly call it unoriginal because of Bioshock, which came out many years after Clive Barker's first game. Either way, I'm as excited for this game as I am for Crysis.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Im not entirely sure why Crysis was not mentioned. As far as I know, Crysis, is BY FAR, the most anticipated PC Game...probably of all time.

EDIT: Oops it's only Oct. releases. My bad. But still...my statement holds true about Crysis and its anticipation. :D

vir_cotto

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Sweet this review reminded me of a few titles that I forgot about and a few I didn't know about can't wait till they are out and running on my PC!

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

Im looking forward to the SP more than the MP (for that I got UT3 in nov.), tried getting in the Beta (it's open to all), but after going through the slow signup (pages are slow to load), it says sorry beta closed!

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Got my Crysis beta last night and gave it a go this morning. Sooo beta it's not funny, but the best graphics I've seen in a game yet.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

I think you're confused, jw. Undying is indeed an excellent and vastly underrated game, but it doesn't really have anything to do with either Jericho or BioShock. Concerning the firearms-and-physics-powers gameplay, I'm not faulting Clive, Codemasters or Mercury Steam. The way I see it, they have the misfortune of releasing Jericho AFTER BioShock, where the gameplay combination won't seem so fresh and innovative. I'm not accusing anybody of copying another game, just saying that Jericho would have been better off being released before BioShock.

That said, I played the "demo" this week, which lasts about as long as a TV commercial, and it's got potential. The abilities are pretty cool, especially Lt. Black's telekinetic bullets. I also like they way you can jump from character to character. The one thing that has me concerned, as well as others here at THG, is level design. Will this be another Doom 3, where the thrills run out of gas after the first hour and you become bored to tears running down hallway after hallway? I hope not.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
TF2!! I was a huge fan of the original (quake mod) and have been waiting years for this. I still kinda wish they went for more realism, but the graphics look pretty cool anyways (and realism would make it hard to explain rocket jumping). They better sell the game on its own on Steam or I'm gonna be pissed.

Tabula Rasa sounds awesome. I currently don't play any MMOs and have never paid for one (just WOW, Lineage II, etc demos), but if this game ends up sounding good I may give it a go. The fantasy setting is neat, but my real preference is for sci-fi, specifically post-apocalyptic futuristic settings (rifts, mad max, fallout, etc).

I liked the original Diablo, and if I really feel like a hack and slash, Hellgate London sounds decent.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Did I understand it right, that those "Clive Barker" games are something along the lines of fear? ie. where you get your kicks primarily from playing the game at night in dimly lit rooms with surround headphones?
Or are they just common fps games with a plot and monotonous gameplay like, say doom 3.