Fresh Install Failure: 2 OS's, 1 partition

Hello,

I upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP by performing a new installation.
However, Windows 2000 was not removed, and now I have both operating systems
running on the same partition (my laptop has only one NTFS partition).

How can I now remove Windows 2000 from my computer??

Thanks a bunch!

Hi,

Boot WinXP, open Windows Explorer and delete the Win2000 system folders.
Then start/run C:\boot.ini to open it in notepad. Remove the line that
references the unwanted installation from the [operating systems] section.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Loic" <Loic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP by performing a new installation.
> However, Windows 2000 was not removed, and now I have both operating
> systems
> running on the same partition (my laptop has only one NTFS partition).
>
> How can I now remove Windows 2000 from my computer??
>
> Thanks a bunch!

Hi Rick,

Thanks a lot for the advice. But what, exactly, are Win2000 system folders?
There are two Win folders on my computer (when I boot WinXP): Windows and
WinNT. Should I delete both? And should I delete other folders, such as
Program Files and My Documents?

Thanks!
Loic

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Boot WinXP, open Windows Explorer and delete the Win2000 system folders.
> Then start/run C:\boot.ini to open it in notepad. Remove the line that
> references the unwanted installation from the [operating systems] section.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Loic" <Loic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP by performing a new installation.
> > However, Windows 2000 was not removed, and now I have both operating
> > systems
> > running on the same partition (my laptop has only one NTFS partition).
> >
> > How can I now remove Windows 2000 from my computer??
> >
> > Thanks a bunch!

Hi,

You need to tell us which is which. Either directory could be the Win2000
installation. Have you looked at their creation dates?

In WinXP, start/run cmd, then run PATH. That should tell you where the
installation is.

--

"Loic Comolli" <LoicComolli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Rick,
>
> Thanks a lot for the advice. But what, exactly, are Win2000 system
> folders?
> There are two Win folders on my computer (when I boot WinXP): Windows and
> WinNT. Should I delete both? And should I delete other folders, such as
> Program Files and My Documents?
>
> Thanks!
> Loic
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Boot WinXP, open Windows Explorer and delete the Win2000 system folders.
>> Then start/run C:\boot.ini to open it in notepad. Remove the line that
>> references the unwanted installation from the [operating systems]
>> section.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Loic" <Loic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP by performing a new installation.
>> > However, Windows 2000 was not removed, and now I have both operating
>> > systems
>> > running on the same partition (my laptop has only one NTFS partition).
>> >
>> > How can I now remove Windows 2000 from my computer??
>> >
>> > Thanks a bunch!

TRENDING THREADS