e-Machines can't connect to the Net with IE6

Hi,

Just bought a new E-Machines-T3092 (desktop) and can't get
it to connect to the net with IE6, but can with Telnet.

Talked to support at Comcast and they said this was a
common problem. Anyway, they couldn't fix it, so now we
are hoping you all can help us.

We have disabled the Windows' firewall in XP, which I
wasn't even aware that the OS had one (I'm using Win2K-
Pro).

Norton AntiVirus 2004 is installed on the machine, but I
don't see how that would effect the connection to/with IE6.

Any/all replies would be appreciated.

Peace,
Cid
1 answer Last reply
More about machines connect

    "Cid" <hall@hallofwebs.com> wrote:
    >Just bought a new E-Machines-T3092 (desktop) and can't get
    >it to connect to the net with IE6, but can with Telnet.
    >Talked to support at Comcast and they said this was a
    >common problem. Anyway, they couldn't fix it, so now we
    >are hoping you all can help us.
    >We have disabled the Windows' firewall in XP, which I
    >wasn't even aware that the OS had one (I'm using Win2K-
    >Pro).
    >Norton AntiVirus 2004 is installed on the machine, but I
    >don't see how that would effect the connection to/with IE6.
    >Any/all replies would be appreciated.

    I have an eMachines T3265 & Comcast, & use Norton SystemWorks 2004 (which uses
    Norton anti-virus). Works fine. My firewall program is Norton Personal
    firewall. I did have a simlar or the same problem 1st time I switched to
    Comcast.

    My only suggestions:
    Ok you have disabled the XP firewall. Why not reverse it - disable your 3rd
    party firewall & enable the XP firewall, at least to see if you can connect.

    Now, this is how I solved my problem with I.E. not showing any pages when I
    1st switched to Comcast. Go back to your set-up - enabled Win2K-Pro firewall
    & XP's disabled. Best to reboot just in case it makes a difference if you
    tried the above 1st.. Now log into I.E. again, and go into I.E.'s
    Tools\Internet Options, and "delete cookies". While you are at it, also
    "delete temp files". Then close out I.E. completely. Now open it up again,
    & maybe it'll work...

    ...D.

Connection IE6 Windows XP