Diane

Finally got rid of Andy. Actually, my necro didn't have to touch her or
any of her minions. My 4 skellies and my iron golem took care of the
entire thing.

Question: When a ring can be socketed, what is the best thing to socket it
with?

Diane

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net> stared blankly into space for a short
while before writing:
> Finally got rid of Andy. Actually, my necro didn't have to touch
> her or any of her minions. My 4 skellies and my iron golem took
> care of the entire thing.
>
> Question: When a ring can be socketed, what is the best thing to
> socket it with?

I wish I knew. I haven't had any success trying the posted socketing
recipe (item+ (n)Black Oils. n= number of sockets +1). I haven't even
seen a "Black Oil" yet, and I'm sure they don't mean "Blacksmiths Oil",
'cause I tried that and it didn't work.

--
Doc

Diane

"Doc" <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote in news:4208464a$1
@duster.adelaide.on.net:

> Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net> stared blankly into space for a short
> while before writing:
>> Finally got rid of Andy. Actually, my necro didn't have to touch
>> her or any of her minions. My 4 skellies and my iron golem took
>> care of the entire thing.
>>
>> Question: When a ring can be socketed, what is the best thing to
>> socket it with?
>
> I wish I knew. I haven't had any success trying the posted socketing
> recipe (item+ (n)Black Oils. n= number of sockets +1). I haven't even
> seen a "Black Oil" yet, and I'm sure they don't mean "Blacksmiths
Oil",
> 'cause I tried that and it didn't work.

As far as the oils are concerned, I'm getting annoyed with them. I'm
collecting them in my stash, but I don't have a clue what I'm supposed
to be doing with them. I haven't found anything called Black Oil
either. What I don't understand is whether a ring is considered armor
or what? It can't be considered a weapon or a helm. I completely
didn't even realize that this ring even had a socket and I've been
wearing it since the beginning of the game. It was given to me by my
Teddy Bear when I began the game. It's part of "MY" green set. Well,
if you come up with any ideas, let me know. I hate to waste the socket
considering that once you socket something, you can't switch it out.
Once it's socketed, that's the end of it. So, it's got to be done
properly.

Diane

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:55:09 +1100, "Doc"
<the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:

>I wish I knew. I haven't had any success trying the posted socketing
>recipe (item+ (n)Black Oils. n= number of sockets +1). I haven't even
>seen a "Black Oil" yet, and I'm sure they don't mean "Blacksmiths Oil",
>'cause I tried that and it didn't work.
>
>--
>Doc

Actually, from reading the forums, it *does* appear that it means the
regular Hellfire oils. Maybe not "Blacksmith's Oil" (haven't seen that
one, at least not in *this* mod), but the Oils of Sharpness,
Hardening, etc.

ald
"Knowledge is Power"
VK`Sister`ald level 47 Rogue (HF V&K) (RIP :-( )
Matriarch Sis-West level 82 Bowazon (US West)
Champion RingsNThngs level 61 Bowazon (US West)
Slayer ZannEsu-ald level 51 Sorceress (US West)
Matriarch Sis-AR level 99 Bowazon (Ancestral Recall Mod)
Champion Creepy-AR Level 91 Necromancer (AR)
Slayer Zan-AR Level 79 Sorceress (AR)
Slayer SisEight-AR Level 78 Bowazon (AR)
Gems-AR Level 55 Barbarian (AR)
Matriarch Sis-otSEye Level 78 Bowazon (US West, co-op)
BtaSisEight-ald Level 50 Bowazon (LoD 1.10 SP)
Aragorn-AR Level 51 Zealadin (AR)
Champion LTwoSis-ald Level 79 Bowazon (US West Ladder)
CotSRSig #16

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 06:36:45 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net>
wrote:

>As far as the oils are concerned, I'm getting annoyed with them. I'm
>collecting them in my stash, but I don't have a clue what I'm supposed
>to be doing with them.

Again I'm guessing, but probably cube them along with the item you
want their effect to be on. And again, if you need to know what they
do, download Pedro's most excellent "Jarulf's Guide" from
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/content/view/751/110/#Download ,
everything you ever wanted to know and more about the original Diablo
and Hellfire.

>I haven't found anything called Black Oil
>either. What I don't understand is whether a ring is considered armor
>or what? It can't be considered a weapon or a helm. I completely
>didn't even realize that this ring even had a socket and I've been
>wearing it since the beginning of the game. It was given to me by my
>Teddy Bear when I began the game. It's part of "MY" green set. Well,
>if you come up with any ideas, let me know. I hate to waste the socket
>considering that once you socket something, you can't switch it out.
>Once it's socketed, that's the end of it. So, it's got to be done
>properly.
>
>Diane

The normal unsocketing recipe doesn't work?

ald <103175.3500@compuserve.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:55:09 +1100, "Doc"
> <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I wish I knew. I haven't had any success trying the posted socketing
>>recipe (item+ (n)Black Oils. n= number of sockets +1). I haven't even
>>seen a "Black Oil" yet, and I'm sure they don't mean "Blacksmiths
Oil",
>>'cause I tried that and it didn't work.
>>
>>--
>>Doc
>
> Actually, from reading the forums, it *does* appear that it means the
> regular Hellfire oils. Maybe not "Blacksmith's Oil" (haven't seen that
> one, at least not in *this* mod), but the Oils of Sharpness,
> Hardening, etc.
>
> ald
So all of this oils can't be used until Hell diff? And yes, there IS a
Blacksmith's Oil. I have a ton of them, along with about 15 other
varieties.

Diane

> The normal unsocketing recipe doesn't work?
>
> ald

What unsocketing recipe? Are you toying with me?

Diane

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:47:53 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net>
wrote:

>So all of this oils can't be used until Hell diff? And yes, there IS a
>Blacksmith's Oil. I have a ton of them, along with about 15 other
>varieties.
>
>Diane

*No*, sorry, Hellfire refers to the mod for Diablo 1, where they first
showed up. They can be used at any time, but since they all can be
used multiple times (well, I *guess* you could use an Oil of
Permanence more than once on an item, but you don't need to), as in
use 2 or more Oils on the same item, you may want to save them until
you have your endgame equipment.

And yeah, I didn't doubt that Blacksmith Oils exist, I just haven't
gotten one yet ;-)

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:53:36 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net>
wrote:

>ald <103175.3500@compuserve.com> wrote in
>
>> The normal unsocketing recipe doesn't work?
>>
>> ald
>

>What unsocketing recipe? Are you toying with me?
>
>Diane

Well, I'm not sure if the regular one (1 Hel Rune + Scroll of Town
Portal + Any Socketed Item = Unsocket that item) will work or not, it
should unless he disabled it, but someone else (Doc?) already posted
the CE one, with the Suicide Minion doll.

ald
"Knowledge is Power"
VK`Sister`ald level 47 Rogue (HF V&K) (RIP :-( )
Matriarch Sis-West level 82 Bowazon (US West)
Champion RingsNThngs level 61 Bowazon (US West)
Slayer ZannEsu-ald level 51 Sorceress (US West)
Matriarch Sis-AR level 99 Bowazon (Ancestral Recall Mod)
Champion Creepy-AR Level 91 Necromancer (AR)
Slayer Zan-AR Level 79 Sorceress (AR)
Slayer SisEight-AR Level 78 Bowazon (AR)
Gems-AR Level 55 Barbarian (AR)
Matriarch Sis-otSEye Level 78 Bowazon (US West, co-op)
BtaSisEight-ald Level 50 Bowazon (LoD 1.10 SP)
Aragorn-AR Level 51 Zealadin (AR)
Champion LTwoSis-ald Level 79 Bowazon (US West Ladder)
CotSRSig #16

Craig

>>> Finally got rid of Andy. Actually, my necro didn't have to touch
>>> her or any of her minions. My 4 skellies and my iron golem took
>>> care of the entire thing.
>>>
>>> Question: When a ring can be socketed, what is the best thing to
>>> socket it with?
>>
>> I wish I knew. I haven't had any success trying the posted socketing
>> recipe (item+ (n)Black Oils. n= number of sockets +1). I haven't even
>> seen a "Black Oil" yet, and I'm sure they don't mean "Blacksmiths
>> Oil", 'cause I tried that and it didn't work.
>>

> As far as the oils are concerned, I'm getting annoyed with them. I'm
> collecting them in my stash, but I don't have a clue what I'm supposed
> to be doing with them. I haven't found anything called Black Oil
> either. What I don't understand is whether a ring is considered armor
> or what? It can't be considered a weapon or a helm. I completely
> didn't even realize that this ring even had a socket and I've been
> wearing it since the beginning of the game. It was given to me by my
> Teddy Bear when I began the game. It's part of "MY" green set. Well,
> if you come up with any ideas, let me know. I hate to waste the
> socket considering that once you socket something, you can't switch
> it out. Once it's socketed, that's the end of it. So, it's got to be
> done properly.

ok, rings are classed as weapons, ammy's are shield and belts are armour

oils are great for upping weapon damage (end game only) or making an eth
item indestructable

Craig

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

ald <103175.3500@compuserve.com> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:55:09 +1100, "Doc"
> <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I wish I knew. I haven't had any success trying the posted
>> socketing recipe (item+ (n)Black Oils. n= number of sockets +1). I
>> haven't even seen a "Black Oil" yet, and I'm sure they don't mean
>> "Blacksmiths Oil", 'cause I tried that and it didn't work.
>
> Actually, from reading the forums, it *does* appear that it means
> the regular Hellfire oils. Maybe not "Blacksmith's Oil" (haven't
> seen that one, at least not in *this* mod), but the Oils of
> Sharpness,
> Hardening, etc.

I've tried a few of them, and no combination seems to work. Maybe I
should ask in the CE forums.

--
Doc

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 22:54:48 +1100, "Doc"
<the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:

>ald <103175.3500@compuserve.com> stared blankly into space for a
>short while before writing:
>> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:55:09 +1100, "Doc"
>> <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I wish I knew. I haven't had any success trying the posted
>>> socketing recipe (item+ (n)Black Oils. n= number of sockets +1). I
>>> haven't even seen a "Black Oil" yet, and I'm sure they don't mean
>>> "Blacksmiths Oil", 'cause I tried that and it didn't work.
>>
>> Actually, from reading the forums, it *does* appear that it means
>> the regular Hellfire oils. Maybe not "Blacksmith's Oil" (haven't
>> seen that one, at least not in *this* mod), but the Oils of
>> Sharpness,
>> Hardening, etc.
>
>I've tried a few of them, and no combination seems to work. Maybe I
>should ask in the CE forums.
>
>--
>Doc

Maybe. The author is back from a 2 week vacation in the States, which
apparently was the reason it took me some ridiculous amount of time
like 2 whole days to get a reply to *my* question ;-)

ald
"Knowledge is Power"
VK`Sister`ald level 47 Rogue (HF V&K) (RIP :-( )
Matriarch Sis-West level 82 Bowazon (US West)
Champion RingsNThngs level 61 Bowazon (US West)
Slayer ZannEsu-ald level 51 Sorceress (US West)
Matriarch Sis-AR level 99 Bowazon (Ancestral Recall Mod)
Champion Creepy-AR Level 91 Necromancer (AR)
Slayer Zan-AR Level 79 Sorceress (AR)
Slayer SisEight-AR Level 78 Bowazon (AR)
Gems-AR Level 55 Barbarian (AR)
Matriarch Sis-otSEye Level 78 Bowazon (US West, co-op)
BtaSisEight-ald Level 50 Bowazon (LoD 1.10 SP)
Aragorn-AR Level 51 Zealadin (AR)
Champion LTwoSis-ald Level 79 Bowazon (US West Ladder)
CotSRSig #16

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net> stared blankly into space for a short
while before writing:

> As far as the oils are concerned, I'm getting annoyed with them.
> I'm collecting them in my stash, but I don't have a clue what I'm
> supposed to be doing with them.

Oil of Accuracy:
Increases a weapon's chance to hit by 1-2%. PERMANENT, Weapon

Blacksmith Oil:
Repairs completly Weapon, Shield, Armor

Oil of Death:
Increases the damage potential of a weapon.+1 to minimum, +2 to maximum.
PERMANENT

Oil of Fortitude:
Adds +10 - +50 to the max durability of an item. PERMANENT Weapon,
Shield, Armor

Oil of Hardening:
Adds +1 Armor class to helms and shields, adds +2 Armor class to armor.
PERMANENT

Oil of Imperviousness:
Adds +3 - +5 Armor class to armor and shields. PERMANENT

Oil of Mastery:
Increases a weapon's chance to hit by 3-5%. PERMANENT

Oil of Permanence:
Makes an item indestructible. PERMANENT Weapon, Shield, Armor

Oil of Sharpness:
Adds +1 to maximum damage of a weapon. PERMANENT

Oil of Skill:
Reduces the attributes needed to use a weapon or armor by 6-10%.
PERMANENT Weapon, Shield, Armor

As Craig mentioned, you might want to save the damage/accuracy/AC oils
for your end-game items.

> me know. I hate to waste the socket considering that once you
> socket something, you can't switch it out. Once it's socketed,
> that's the end of it. So, it's got to be done properly.

As ald said, you can use the unsocket recipe... item + Suicide Minion
doll (transmogrify in your cube). I'm not sure if you get the
gem/rune/jewel back.

There are some pretty good "one time only" recipes for rare items, but
again you should save the ingredients for your end game items, and only
use them before hand if you are sure you'll have the parts when you need
them.

Rare torso armor + 3x hearts adds 15-20% life leech
Rare helm + 3x brains adds 40-60% fast cast
Rare weapon + 3x jawbones adds 2.5 cold + 2.5 fire +2.5 lightning damage
per level of the user
Rare weapon + 3x horns adds 5 damage per level
Rare amulet + 3x eyes adds 15-20% mana leech
Rare boot + 3x tails adds 40-60% fast run/walk
Rare shield + 3x flag adds 2.5 damage per level reflected when hit
Rare gloves + 3x fang adds 40-60% Increased attack speed
Rare ring + 3x quill adds 50-75% magic find and 75-125% gold find
Rare belt + 3x spleen adds 5 poison damage per level for 2 seconds +
prevent monster heal.

Enjoy :)

--
Doc

Diane

"Doc" <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote in

Wow, thanks for taking the time to jot that all down. I've saved it to my
desktop for ready reference. Yeah I know, all I need to do is go to the
forum. I never seem to remember that until AFTER the fact.

Diane

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:58:18 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Wow, thanks for taking the time to jot that all down. I've saved it to my
>desktop for ready reference. Yeah I know, all I need to do is go to the
>forum. I never seem to remember that until AFTER the fact.
>
>Diane

I actually haven't seen that on the forum, it's more likely from
Jarulf's Guide. Either way, I have it saved, too ;-)

Doc <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> stared blankly into space for
a short while before writing:
> Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net> stared blankly into space for a short
> while before writing:
>>
>> As far as the oils are concerned, I'm getting annoyed with them.
>> I'm collecting them in my stash, but I don't have a clue what I'm
>> supposed to be doing with them.
>
> Oil of Accuracy:
> Increases a weapon's chance to hit by 1-2%. PERMANENT, Weapon

Forgot to mention, these are all cube recipes :)

--
Doc

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

ald <103175.3500@compuserve.com> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 22:54:48 +1100, "Doc"
> <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ald <103175.3500@compuserve.com> stared blankly into space for a
>> short while before writing:

>>> Actually, from reading the forums, it *does* appear that it means
>>> the regular Hellfire oils. Maybe not "Blacksmith's Oil" (haven't
>>> seen that one, at least not in *this* mod), but the Oils of
>>> Sharpness,
>>> Hardening, etc.
>>
>> I've tried a few of them, and no combination seems to work. Maybe I
>> should ask in the CE forums.
>>

> Maybe. The author is back from a 2 week vacation in the States,
> which apparently was the reason it took me some ridiculous amount
> of time like 2 whole days to get a reply to *my* question ;-)

Well, it's got nothing to do with oils after all (despite what the
readme says). It's P-skulls, and I managed to get 2 sockets in my rare
circlet by cubing it with 3 p-skulls :)

--
Doc

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 02:33:26 +1100, "Doc"
<the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:

>Well, it's got nothing to do with oils after all (despite what the
>readme says). It's P-skulls, and I managed to get 2 sockets in my rare
>circlet by cubing it with 3 p-skulls :)
>
>--
>Doc

Ah, fair enough, that must be one of the things he upgraded and forgot
to upgrade the readme to reflect. You're playing 7.51, right?

ald
"Knowledge is Power"
VK`Sister`ald level 47 Rogue (HF V&K) (RIP :-( )
Matriarch Sis-West level 82 Bowazon (US West)
Champion RingsNThngs level 61 Bowazon (US West)
Slayer ZannEsu-ald level 51 Sorceress (US West)
Matriarch Sis-AR level 99 Bowazon (Ancestral Recall Mod)
Champion Creepy-AR Level 91 Necromancer (AR)
Slayer Zan-AR Level 79 Sorceress (AR)
Slayer SisEight-AR Level 78 Bowazon (AR)
Gems-AR Level 55 Barbarian (AR)
Matriarch Sis-otSEye Level 78 Bowazon (US West, co-op)
BtaSisEight-ald Level 50 Bowazon (LoD 1.10 SP)
Aragorn-AR Level 51 Zealadin (AR)
Champion LTwoSis-ald Level 79 Bowazon (US West Ladder)
CotSRSig #16

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

ald <103175.3500@compuserve.com> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 02:33:26 +1100, "Doc"
> <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, it's got nothing to do with oils after all (despite what the
>> readme says). It's P-skulls, and I managed to get 2 sockets in my
>> rare circlet by cubing it with 3 p-skulls :)
>>
>> --
>> Doc
>
> Ah, fair enough, that must be one of the things he upgraded and
> forgot to upgrade the readme to reflect. You're playing 7.51, right?

Yep. And I forgot to mention, I'm pretty impressed you can get more than
one socket in a rare. I can't wait until I get a high enough ilvl rare
body armor to try for 4 sockets :)

Hmm... I wonder if I can multiple sockets in a unique?

--
Doc