New User Name

I have just taken over a computer previously operated by
a different user. The previous owner's name shows up as a
folder in the My Documents folder, as the author of
documents I create, etc. I know how to create a new user
account-this is NOY the problem. I need to change the
system or user name that was used when XP was originally
installed. Is there any way to do that?
2 answers Last reply
More about user name

    Search the registry for the previous owner and change it.

    "MATTG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just taken over a computer previously operated by
    > a different user. The previous owner's name shows up as a
    > folder in the My Documents folder, as the author of
    > documents I create, etc. I know how to create a new user
    > account-this is NOY the problem. I need to change the
    > system or user name that was used when XP was originally
    > installed. Is there any way to do that?

    Run Regedit and browse to:

    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion

    Double click RegisteredOwner in the right window and enter your name in
    place of his. Do the same for the organization if needed. Set RegDone to 1
    if you want your copy to be registered.

    > Search the registry for the previous owner and change it.
    >
    > "MATTG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have just taken over a computer previously operated by
    >> a different user. The previous owner's name shows up as a
    >> folder in the My Documents folder, as the author of
    >> documents I create, etc. I know how to create a new user
    >> account-this is NOY the problem. I need to change the
    >> system or user name that was used when XP was originally
    >> installed. Is there any way to do that?

Microsoft Windows XP