MS Backup Copmmand

August 25, 2004 6:29:14 AM

Hello,
I just purchased a new computer and Windows XP and
I want to restore some files. The backup command is
missing from the System tools menu. Where is it and how
do I intall it to the System menu? And my HP Deskjet
printer now prints very slowly. I tried the
troubleshooting section in windows and nothing worked.
Any ideas before I take it back to the manufacturer?
Thanks, Bob.

More about : backup copmmand

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 9:37:23 AM

The backup tool is not installed by default, but you can install it from
your Windows XP CD in the directory "valuadd/msft/ntbackup/".
Run ntbackup.msi to install it. Note that if you have an OEM copy of XP the
valuadd folder may not be present. Someone posted a link a while back where
you could download the backup utility; if you need it just ask and maybe
someone will post it for you.

"Bob Jordan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I just purchased a new computer and Windows XP and
> I want to restore some files. The backup command is
> missing from the System tools menu. Where is it and how
> do I intall it to the System menu? And my HP Deskjet
> printer now prints very slowly. I tried the
> troubleshooting section in windows and nothing worked.
> Any ideas before I take it back to the manufacturer?
> Thanks, Bob.
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 9:45:05 AM

How to Use the Backup Utility to Back Up Files and Folders in Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320820&Product=winxp
How to use Backup to restore files and folders on your computer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309340

Go to www.hp.com and look around for updated drivers for your printer.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Bob Jordan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I just purchased a new computer and Windows XP and
> I want to restore some files. The backup command is
> missing from the System tools menu. Where is it and how
> do I intall it to the System menu? And my HP Deskjet
> printer now prints very slowly. I tried the
> troubleshooting section in windows and nothing worked.
> Any ideas before I take it back to the manufacturer?
> Thanks, Bob.
Related resources
August 25, 2004 2:38:42 PM

Bob Jordan wrote:

> Hello,
> I just purchased a new computer and Windows XP and
> I want to restore some files. The backup command is
> missing from the System tools menu. Where is it and how
> do I intall it to the System menu? And my HP Deskjet
> printer now prints very slowly. I tried the
> troubleshooting section in windows and nothing worked.
> Any ideas before I take it back to the manufacturer?
> Thanks, Bob.

I see that your backup question was answered, so here's a shot at your
printer question:

Download the latest drivers for your printer form HP's web site. Don't
use the printer drivers that came with the XP.

posted here.
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:47:08 PM

To Thane, Mary and Null:
Thanks, it appears I may have to find the link to download the backup
utility.
The printer would not work properly at the computer repair shop and an old
used one that the tech had on hand worked fine with my computer. So somehow,
the printer must have had its electronics corrupted. It was not worth
repairing, so I purchased a new one and it works fine. Thanks again. Bob.

!