daveray

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
I have had real problems recently with major crashes. There is no warning, the system just crashed almost as if I had pushed the reset button. I sent the crash report to Microsoft but they just tell me it is a driver problem.

Anyway I digressed! I am now upgrading to an ASUS A7V8X motherboard with 1Gb of DDR333 memory and a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 graphics card.

I am tired of windows not being able to load the drivers correctly and then causing problems. The last time it couldn't find my USB drivers and/or load them correctly.

Basically, is their a right or wrong way to install a new motherboard etc. Could someone please advise me of a correct routine to follow to ensure that all drivers are loaded correctly and recognised by the dreaded Windows OS.

I will be loading Win XP Pro. My other components are AMD AThlon 2200XP, 80Gb IBM Deskstar 120GXP HD, Mitsumi CR485 CR Writer into a Super Flower SF201 Aluminium Case.

All help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Make sure you do a clean install of the Via 4 in 1 drivers. Check all your drivers, and if you have to, uninstall all of them, then start from scratch, then restart your computer. If that doesn't work, i'm guessing it might be your hard drive -possibly-. IBM Deskstar GXP 60, 75, and 120 are notorius for crashing and instability (although a lot of them work fine).

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*