Glenton

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
hey everyone. hope your day's going good. today is an important day, as i will be returning my Asus P4S8X to the store, in order to exchange it for something else. why ? well, it doesn't work. of course this is due to my Ati Radeon 9700 with AGP 8x, as you may ave thought. other issues include the secondary IDE channel that doesn't work, nor does the USB Root Hub ... thank you Asus ! Anyway ...
The store manager told me to update the BIOS to solve my problems, and i did so with the Asus utility and the 1004 revision, and since then, well, it won't boot up AT ALL anymore.
My big question is : since i return it to the store, they won't refund it, but will exchange it for something else; and their choice of motherboards isn't that huge. i have a choice between : another P4S8X (but i'd rather not), an MSI 648E, MSI 845E, or Asus P4T533. what should i get ? should i trust Sis and go for the MSI648, or give up my hopes and go for an intel chipset with AGP 4x ? i do not want to flash a BIOS ever again ! (for your information, and yes you may laugh : i did a backup of my BIOS before flashing it. of course the thought hadn't entered my mind that if it didn't work, i could never restore my backup ...)

anyway, enough about me. how are you today ?

Glenton.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Trusting SiS has little to do with MSI. I believe that MSI board is also poorly constructed. If you can custom order a part for a fee, it might be worth it, because the only GOOD 648 board I know of is the Gigabyte GA-8SG667.

Anyway, AGP8x does little for current cards including the 9700, so you could jump to an Intel chipset.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

rodf

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
don't have the budget yet for the 9700 pro, but I have talked to a lot of people with that problem. most seem to be switching to the 850 chipset boards. don't know results yet. i use the msi 648e and the 845e boards w geforce 4 video cards without problems but their requirements are much less than your 9700 pro. have you tried to get advice from ati? they should be aware of the problem by now since so many people have had a problem.