Professional vs. home edition

August 25, 2004 1:54:25 PM

I am shopping for a new computer, since the processor on
my old one is not fast enough for XP. My husband says we
must have XP professional, not home edition. Most
computers in stores come only with home edition and
therefore would require a separate upgrade. If we order
direcltyl from a manufacturer, we can have more options
for getting the computer with XP pro installed. What are
the significant difference between the two editions and
what advantages does professional provide?
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:31:51 PM

You might go here to determine which version is right for you:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...

"Sharla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am shopping for a new computer, since the processor on
> my old one is not fast enough for XP. My husband says we
> must have XP professional, not home edition. Most
> computers in stores come only with home edition and
> therefore would require a separate upgrade. If we order
> direcltyl from a manufacturer, we can have more options
> for getting the computer with XP pro installed. What are
> the significant difference between the two editions and
> what advantages does professional provide?
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:35:08 PM

Hi Sharla,

You can see a pretty good matrix of the differences at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosin...

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP

"Sharla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am shopping for a new computer, since the processor on
> my old one is not fast enough for XP. My husband says we
> must have XP professional, not home edition. Most
> computers in stores come only with home edition and
> therefore would require a separate upgrade. If we order
> direcltyl from a manufacturer, we can have more options
> for getting the computer with XP pro installed. What are
> the significant difference between the two editions and
> what advantages does professional provide?
Related resources
August 25, 2004 11:29:38 PM

"Sharla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am shopping for a new computer, since the processor on
> my old one is not fast enough for XP. My husband says we
> must have XP professional, not home edition. Most
> computers in stores come only with home edition and
> therefore would require a separate upgrade. If we order
> direcltyl from a manufacturer, we can have more options
> for getting the computer with XP pro installed. What are
> the significant difference between the two editions and
> what advantages does professional provide?

this may provide you with the comparison you're looking for:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/evaluation/feat...
and
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/featu...

personally I'd go for Professional. All possibilities this platform has to
offer, more precise methods of configuring security and even if you don't
need all the features right now, you never know how your usage of the OS
will evolve over time. In this day and age, not uncommon that it will.
my 2c.

george
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 1:50:42 AM

Greetings --

There's usually very little reason for the typical home user to
need WinXP Pro, but everyone's situation is different.

The two versions are _identical_ when it comes to performance,
stability, and device driver and software application compatibility,
but are intended to meet different functionality, networking,
security, and ease-of-use needs, in different environments. The most
significant differences are that WinXP Pro allows up to 10
simultaneous inbound network connections while WinXP Home only allows
only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a Microsoft domain while WinXP
Home cannot, and only WinXP Pro supports file encryption and IIS.
(Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs roughly $100 USD more than WinXP
Home.)

Windows XP Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...

Which Edition Is Right for You
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro...

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Sharla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am shopping for a new computer, since the processor on
> my old one is not fast enough for XP. My husband says we
> must have XP professional, not home edition. Most
> computers in stores come only with home edition and
> therefore would require a separate upgrade. If we order
> direcltyl from a manufacturer, we can have more options
> for getting the computer with XP pro installed. What are
> the significant difference between the two editions and
> what advantages does professional provide?
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 12:09:51 AM

Aha. That explains why we need XP pro. The number of
network connections is important in our situation.
Thank you!

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 1:20:12 AM

Greetings --