Professional vs. home edition

I am shopping for a new computer, since the processor on
my old one is not fast enough for XP. My husband says we
must have XP professional, not home edition. Most
computers in stores come only with home edition and
therefore would require a separate upgrade. If we order
direcltyl from a manufacturer, we can have more options
for getting the computer with XP pro installed. What are
the significant difference between the two editions and
what advantages does professional provide?
6 answers Last reply
More about professional home edition

    You might go here to determine which version is right for you:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    "Sharla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am shopping for a new computer, since the processor on
    > my old one is not fast enough for XP. My husband says we
    > must have XP professional, not home edition. Most
    > computers in stores come only with home edition and
    > therefore would require a separate upgrade. If we order
    > direcltyl from a manufacturer, we can have more options
    > for getting the computer with XP pro installed. What are
    > the significant difference between the two editions and
    > what advantages does professional provide?

    Hi Sharla,

    You can see a pretty good matrix of the differences at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    Ron Chamberlin
    MS-MVP

    "Sharla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am shopping for a new computer, since the processor on
    > my old one is not fast enough for XP. My husband says we
    > must have XP professional, not home edition. Most
    > computers in stores come only with home edition and
    > therefore would require a separate upgrade. If we order
    > direcltyl from a manufacturer, we can have more options
    > for getting the computer with XP pro installed. What are
    > the significant difference between the two editions and
    > what advantages does professional provide?

    "Sharla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am shopping for a new computer, since the processor on
    > my old one is not fast enough for XP. My husband says we
    > must have XP professional, not home edition. Most
    > computers in stores come only with home edition and
    > therefore would require a separate upgrade. If we order
    > direcltyl from a manufacturer, we can have more options
    > for getting the computer with XP pro installed. What are
    > the significant difference between the two editions and
    > what advantages does professional provide?

    this may provide you with the comparison you're looking for:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/evaluation/features.mspx
    and
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/features.mspx

    personally I'd go for Professional. All possibilities this platform has to
    offer, more precise methods of configuring security and even if you don't
    need all the features right now, you never know how your usage of the OS
    will evolve over time. In this day and age, not uncommon that it will.
    my 2c.

    george

    Greetings --

    There's usually very little reason for the typical home user to
    need WinXP Pro, but everyone's situation is different.

    The two versions are _identical_ when it comes to performance,
    stability, and device driver and software application compatibility,
    but are intended to meet different functionality, networking,
    security, and ease-of-use needs, in different environments. The most
    significant differences are that WinXP Pro allows up to 10
    simultaneous inbound network connections while WinXP Home only allows
    only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a Microsoft domain while WinXP
    Home cannot, and only WinXP Pro supports file encryption and IIS.
    (Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs roughly $100 USD more than WinXP
    Home.)

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Which Edition Is Right for You
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Sharla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am shopping for a new computer, since the processor on
    > my old one is not fast enough for XP. My husband says we
    > must have XP professional, not home edition. Most
    > computers in stores come only with home edition and
    > therefore would require a separate upgrade. If we order
    > direcltyl from a manufacturer, we can have more options
    > for getting the computer with XP pro installed. What are
    > the significant difference between the two editions and
    > what advantages does professional provide?

    Aha. That explains why we need XP pro. The number of
    network connections is important in our situation.
    Thank you!

    Greetings --

    You're welcome.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    > Aha. That explains why we need XP pro. The number of
    > network connections is important in our situation.
    > Thank you!

Computers Microsoft Windows XP