Netgear WGT624 fails to renew DHCP lease from cable modem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 8, 2004 12:15:30 PM

My friend has a Netgear WGT624. From time to time (possibly once
every 6.something days, possibly at random, the base station will
loose its DHCP lease from her cable modem and fail to renew it. The
base station is still able to communicate with her laptop, but can not
route her packets onto the Internet since it does not have a DHCP
lease. Manaully renewing the base station lease fails. Power cycling
the cable modem and base station (possibly followed by a manual DHCP
renew on the base station) results in a renewed lease. Just power
cycling the cable modem does not appear to produce a renewed lease.
Power cycling the base station alone does not appear to either -
however I'm not positive about this. Any idea why this might be
happening? Is this an issue with the Netgear WGT624? Is there a fix?

Thanks,
Michael
August 9, 2004 5:28:18 AM

Log into the router and perform an upgrade. There has been at least 3
firmware upgrades that Netgear has released for this router. I don't know
if the firmware upgrades will fix the DHCP problem (you'll have to check at
the Netgear site to see what the firmware fixes). Or, if your friend has a
small network, she might be better off using static IP's on her network
which would be less of a hassle.

Outlook User wrote:

> My friend has a Netgear WGT624. From time to time (possibly once
> every 6.something days, possibly at random, the base station will
> loose its DHCP lease from her cable modem and fail to renew it. The
> base station is still able to communicate with her laptop, but can not
> route her packets onto the Internet since it does not have a DHCP
> lease. Manaully renewing the base station lease fails. Power cycling
> the cable modem and base station (possibly followed by a manual DHCP
> renew on the base station) results in a renewed lease. Just power
> cycling the cable modem does not appear to produce a renewed lease.
> Power cycling the base station alone does not appear to either -
> however I'm not positive about this. Any idea why this might be
> happening? Is this an issue with the Netgear WGT624? Is there a fix?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 10:16:18 AM

The firmware was upgraded about a two weeks ago, when the access point
was initally installed.

I should point out that DHCP served *from* the access point to the
clients works fine. The problem is with the access point failing to
renew a dhcp lease that it gets from (or through) the cable modem.
The clients can communicate with it fine.

Thanks,
Michael

johnny@n0sq.us wrote in message news:<SqARc.14008$9Y6.12307@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> Log into the router and perform an upgrade. There has been at least 3
> firmware upgrades that Netgear has released for this router. I don't know
> if the firmware upgrades will fix the DHCP problem (you'll have to check at
> the Netgear site to see what the firmware fixes). Or, if your friend has a
> small network, she might be better off using static IP's on her network
> which would be less of a hassle.
>
> Outlook User wrote:
>
> > My friend has a Netgear WGT624. From time to time (possibly once
> > every 6.something days, possibly at random, the base station will
> > loose its DHCP lease from her cable modem and fail to renew it. The
> > base station is still able to communicate with her laptop, but can not
> > route her packets onto the Internet since it does not have a DHCP
> > lease. Manaully renewing the base station lease fails. Power cycling
> > the cable modem and base station (possibly followed by a manual DHCP
> > renew on the base station) results in a renewed lease. Just power
> > cycling the cable modem does not appear to produce a renewed lease.
> > Power cycling the base station alone does not appear to either -
> > however I'm not positive about this. Any idea why this might be
> > happening? Is this an issue with the Netgear WGT624? Is there a fix?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 7:13:10 PM

"Outlook User" <nooneinparticular314159@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The firmware was upgraded about a two weeks ago, when the access point
> was initally installed.
>
> I should point out that DHCP served *from* the access point to the
> clients works fine. The problem is with the access point failing to
> renew a dhcp lease that it gets from (or through) the cable modem.
> The clients can communicate with it fine.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Michael, you can put an Ethernet hub between the router and the cable modem,
then plug a computer running Ethereal into the hub. The connection to the
cable modem will need a crossover cable, or a straight-through cable into an
uplink port. Beware of dual-speed hubs. Use Ethereal to trace what's
happening when the router should be obtaining a new address. If you need
help interpreting the trace, post it here.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
!