Single supply motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBCN

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Hi

I’m looking for a small motherboard (Px/AMD) witch runs on a single DC supply voltage i.e. 12 Volt.

Any ideas where to look ?

Thanks

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
No such thing available, you need to buy a normal power supply with the usual 20 pin ATX connector

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

BBCN

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Yes your right.

But the motherboard will be used for data collection far away from any main power, only power is a car battery. Like in a dessert.

Thanks

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
BBCN...What is your application? I am quite experienced at remote datalogging. Maybe I can help... What kind of signals are you collecting? Do you need signal conditioning? ECT...

Is there a synonym for thesaurus?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Too bad a laptop wouldn't work for you.

Well, you could use an AC supply and an inverter, but that's a lot of waisted energy.

I suggest you build your own power supply, you only need to drop the voltages from 12v to 5v and 3.3v. Heck, if you use an AT motherboard, it's even easier, just 12v and 5v (no 3.3v).

How much power do you need in that board? I've got some VERY high end AT boards that accept Pentium III's up to 1.4GHz. And wiring a 12v to 5v converter wouldn't be too hard (in fact, you could use standard three prong cords as long as you made sure nobody would plug anything in to household current when you got back).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wait, I got a great idea. Put a 5v converter in place of the power supply in an AT case, and run a single 12v line into and around that converter. Now you're down to two external wires, 12v and ground.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Status
Not open for further replies.