Outlook Express continually Dialling

A friend has Windows XP Home and Outlook Express 6.
Each time she opens up her computer and after the desktop is displayed
the computer automatically dials up her ISP - Virgin.net. This means
that she cannot use her computer without going on line.

The only way she can operate her computer is to unplug the phone line.
Even then the modem continues to try to dial up her ISP.

I have checked that "Never dial a connection" is ticked in the Internet
Options, Connections Dialogue Box, I have removed the modem and
re-loaded it, I have done a full Virus Scan all to no avail.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what might be causing this and
any suggestions on how to stop it.
--
John Ditchfield
2 answers Last reply

    John Ditchfield wrote:
    > A friend has Windows XP Home and Outlook Express 6.
    > Each time she opens up her computer and after the desktop is displayed
    > the computer automatically dials up her ISP - Virgin.net. This means
    > that she cannot use her computer without going on line.
    >
    > The only way she can operate her computer is to unplug the phone line.
    > Even then the modem continues to try to dial up her ISP.
    >
    > I have checked that "Never dial a connection" is ticked in the
    > Internet Options, Connections Dialogue Box, I have removed the modem
    > and re-loaded it, I have done a full Virus Scan all to no avail.
    >
    > I would appreciate any suggestions as to what might be causing this
    > and any suggestions on how to stop it.

    Have you looked in OE?
    Tools>Options>General>If my computer.....

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    >John Ditchfield wrote:
    >> A friend has Windows XP Home and Outlook Express 6.
    >> Each time she opens up her computer and after the desktop is displayed
    >> the computer automatically dials up her ISP - Virgin.net. This means
    >> that she cannot use her computer without going on line.
    >
    >Have you looked in OE?
    >Tools>Options>General>If my computer.....

    Thanks for the suggestion, yes I had checked that, it is set to
    Do Not Connect
    So I am still no further in solving the problem.

    I also noticed that the 2 small Monitors, which are usually displayed in
    the Start up Tray are no longer visible, even when online. Can you
    suggest how I might recover them?

    TIA
    --
    John Ditchfield

Internet Service Providers Computers Outlook Express Windows XP