802.11b or g adapter for Win 98 laptop?

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

A friend has an old IBM laptop and would like to add wireless networking. I
don't know the model or spec but I do know it is running Win 98 First
Edition. Does anyone know of a PCMCIA adapter that would provide 802.11b or
g connection under Win 98 FE? Everything I've seen seems to require Win 98
SE or later.

Alternatively, would a USB 1.1 wireless adapter work under this OS? The
laptop is not used as a portable machine but in a fixed location at one
desk, with a monitor, so a trailing lead or stubby antenna need not be a
problem.

Any recommendations?
6 answers Last reply
More about adapter laptop

    "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > A friend has an old IBM laptop and would like to add wireless networking.
    > don't know the model or spec but I do know it is running Win 98 First
    > Edition. Does anyone know of a PCMCIA adapter that would provide 802.11b
    or
    > g connection under Win 98 FE? Everything I've seen seems to require Win 98
    > SE or later.
    >
    > Alternatively, would a USB 1.1 wireless adapter work under this OS? The
    > laptop is not used as a portable machine but in a fixed location at one
    > desk, with a monitor, so a trailing lead or stubby antenna need not be a
    > problem.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    I believe that neither 802.11 nor USB are possible with Win98FE.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    <snip>
    > I believe that neither 802.11 nor USB are possible with Win98FE.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    USB 1.1 *will* work with Win98FE. <g> My Gateway G6-350 (circa 2000) came
    with 2 USB 1.1 ports and Win98FE. I added a PCI 802.11b adapter then
    switched to USB 802.11b adapter. HTH

    Louie
    Gainesville, FL, USA

    ---

    "Louie" <louiethelizard@nonya.com> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > > I believe that neither 802.11 nor USB are possible with Win98FE.
    > >
    > > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > USB 1.1 *will* work with Win98FE. <g> My Gateway G6-350 (circa 2000)
    came
    > with 2 USB 1.1 ports and Win98FE. I added a PCI 802.11b adapter then
    > switched to USB 802.11b adapter. HTH
    >
    > Louie
    > Gainesville, FL, USA

    Cool. I stand corrected.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > "Louie" <louiethelizard@nonya.com> wrote in message
    > > <snip>
    > > > I believe that neither 802.11 nor USB are possible with Win98FE.
    > > >
    > > > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    > >
    > > USB 1.1 *will* work with Win98FE. <g> My Gateway G6-350 (circa 2000)
    > came
    > > with 2 USB 1.1 ports and Win98FE. I added a PCI 802.11b adapter then
    > > switched to USB 802.11b adapter. HTH
    > >
    > > Louie
    > > Gainesville, FL, USA
    >
    > Cool. I stand corrected.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    No prob. <g> I believe you were the poster that suggested using WinRoute
    Lite for sharing Internet connections over WLAN instead of Win98 ICS. If
    so, a big "Thanks"! <bseg> After hours and hours of trying to get ICS
    operational, I finally uninstalled ICS and tried WinRoute Lite. 30 seconds
    after install I was sharing internet connection between all my PC's (total
    of 5, 2 desktops & 3 laptops). Thanks again!

    Louie
    Gainesville, FL, USA

    ---

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > "Louie" <louiethelizard@nonya.com> wrote in message
    > > <snip>
    > > > I believe that neither 802.11 nor USB are possible with Win98FE.
    > > >
    > > > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    > >
    > > USB 1.1 *will* work with Win98FE. <g> My Gateway G6-350 (circa 2000)
    > came
    > > with 2 USB 1.1 ports and Win98FE. I added a PCI 802.11b adapter then
    > > switched to USB 802.11b adapter. HTH
    > >
    > > Louie
    > > Gainesville, FL, USA
    >
    > Cool. I stand corrected.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    Thanks for the replies, guys. I will point my friend towards the USB route
    for a solution.

    You don't have to go USB if you don't want to. Wireless cards featuring the
    Orinoco Silver or Gold based chipsets will work perfect as long as the
    laptop has a Type II PCMCIA card slot. If the laptop is a Pentium class, no
    matter how old, then it should be Type II. They are a dime a dozen on
    Ebay... well, $25, which is still pretty cheap.

    Here's an example.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45000&item=5713671608&rd=1

    I've got an old Compaq Armada 4120T with a P120 running Win 95 using one of
    these. Works perfect accessing the internet and all of my networked
    computers wirelessly.

    If you upgrade the laptop to 98SE, then your options are increased
    substantially since just about everything supports it. You can buy a SE
    upgrade disk pretty cheap on Ebay or "borrow" one from a friend or coworker.

    > Thanks for the replies, guys. I will point my friend towards the USB route
    > for a solution.

Laptops Wireless Networking Wireless Networking