How Jobs Threatened Sun's CEO: I'll Just Sue You

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMonk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Seriously, I have been a Mac user for almost 15 years and I am seeing what Apple is doing now as stupid, I mean sure, they are using lots of BSD code in OSX and in the iPhone OS, they sell products that are free and just add fat around so you have the impression they give you more, did they get sued for that? Not really because the BSD license is allowing it. And the same apply to the GPL license. Apple always keep on the line of legal but sues up as soon as they get a chance.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I wonder why Xerox never sued Apple for stealing the origins of their whole concept.

I remember reading a story about Jobs sitting next to someone from AMI, might have been Sarma or Shankar, at a convention (AMI being one of the key factors behind the clone PC industry). Sarma/Shankar asked Jobs how he would like to have Apple clones around, Jobs asked S/S how he would like a big lawsuit.

Apple has to protect what little they have or they would dry up and blow away. They have software that has a market but they can't live by selling software only. They make good hardware but they have generated a market where they can sell their hardware at higher than industry standard profit margins. If clones came on the market then the source of most of Apple's profits would go away.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]I wonder why Xerox never sued Apple for stealing the origins of their whole concept.[/citation]

I wonder why Apple never sued Microsoft for stilling their whole concept for desktop OS interface....

EvilMonk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]smeker[/nom]I wonder why Apple never sued Microsoft for stilling their whole concept for desktop OS interface....[/citation]
Because they did not created the concept of the Desktop OS interface?
Xerox did through its division called PARC
Founded in 1970 as a division of Xerox Corporation, PARC has been responsible for such well known and important developments as laser printing, the Ethernet, the modern personal computer graphical user interface (GUI), ubiquitous computing, and advancing very-large-scale-integration (VLSI).
Sourcehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_PARC

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]evilmonk[/nom]Because they did not created the concept of the Desktop OS interface?Xerox did through its division called PARC Source[/citation]

First version of windows went out four years after MacOS. You do the math.
Originally Gates wanted to License MacOS, but Jobs did not agree.

Go and rent "The Pirates of Silicon Valley" you can see the short story of what happened....

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
smeker, the fact that Microsoft copied apple is moot. Fact is, since Apple didn't create the desktop environment, they had no, and still have no legal footing to sue Microsoft. The only company that could have was Xerox, and the statute of limitations for them to do that is well past.

Get off your high horse, apple isn't an innovator, they steal ideas from all over the place, just like everybody else in the tech world.

G

Hmm I wonder if pooing has been patented, if not I am going to patent it so I can receive royalties every time someone goes for a s**t

Stupid patent system!!!

EvilMonk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]smeker, the fact that Microsoft copied apple is moot. Fact is, since Apple didn't create the desktop environment, they had no, and still have no legal footing to sue Microsoft. The only company that could have was Xerox, and the statute of limitations for them to do that is well past.Get off your high horse, apple isn't an innovator, they steal ideas from all over the place, just like everybody else in the tech world.[/citation]
You are sure that movies are reporting the facts?
In fact Xerox tried to sue apple after Apple sued Microsoft.

Adoption by Apple
The first successful commercial GUI product was the Apple Macintosh, which was heavily inspired by PARC's work; Xerox was allowed to buy pre-IPO stock from Apple in exchange for engineer visits and an understanding that Apple would create a GUI product. Much later, in the midst of the Apple v. Microsoft lawsuit in which Apple accused Microsoft of violating its copyright by appropriating the use of the "look and feel" of the Macintosh GUI, Xerox also sued Apple on the same grounds. The lawsuit was dismissed because Xerox had waited too long to file suit, and the statute of limitations had expired.[3]
and the source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PARC_(company)#Adoption_by_Apple

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
intellectual property is not an easy thing to prove, where patents are much more set in stone. If it wasn't for this theft of IP, Jobs as well as Gates would still be working out of their garages hacking little devices (ok, well, Bill would be working on DOS 20).

It is why I hate jobs and his empire, he is the first one to take others ideas or trademarks but gets all in a hissy fit if an idea may be borrowed from his company.

Anyhow, you can trademark a name, patent a design, but its hard to protect an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.