Franken-computer, problem with computer not starti

Eyedea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
I have been saving all my old computer parts and finally have enough pieces to make a "new" computer. I have a motherboard (not sure of brand) and CPU (Athlon 700) that I haven't used in a year, a 350 Watt power supply, 8X CD burner (used sort of recently), 12GB hard drive (used recently), an old video card (hasn't been used in a year), an Ethernet card (used recently) and some RAM using currently.

I successfully put my motherboard and power supply in the case as well as hook up the hard drive and burner with an IDE cable. I took the RAM out of this computer (PC133 ram) and put it into my old motherboard.

When I start up my computer, however, nothing happens. Everything is getting power (power supply spinning, fan on graphics card spinning, CPU fan spinning, light goes on on the burner and the hard drive feels like its spinning as well) but nothing is showing up on the monitor.

There is no beep noise but I'm not sure I have that cable hooked up correctly. That is my real weakness, it’s a four-pin female cable but I'm not sure how to tell where to put the plug. The motherboard has positive and negative marked the speaker cable just has an arrow on one of the plugs ends but no matter if I put that arrow on positive and negative I hear nothing. The power button works as I can cycle the power on and off but again the monitor never shows a thing. When I put the RAM back into this computer it works fine.

Can anybody suggest what the problem may be and possible solutions? I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks in advance.

(if I posted this in the wrong forum please let me know which one would be best)

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey E,

I am very sorry if I do not understand your question.......but are you asking why the system does not run without Ram? I hope I am just not understanding your post because of stupidity on my part......By the way how much is this "some ram"(in mb's)?

My advice to you is: buy a good modern book on how to build computers, & read it cover to cover. Take everything out of the case, check all cables & jumpers, find out what chipset & mobo that you have, download & print out that mobo manual. Follow all the book's instructions step by step. Post again with all your system spec.s if, it still doesn't post/run. Good Luck

Peace Out.............tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey E,

Just for kicks: All computers are "Franken-computers".

Did you think Dell or Gateway Manufactered or Engineered any part in their Box? As far as PC's go, everyone has to use some other parts than their own. As far as I know IBM used to try to make everything in their box, years ago. Just look at the brands of the components in any computer, no one makes everything.

Anyhow, I do not understand your "Franken-computer" reference. All PC's are like this(ask yourself why & where FDD came from & why they are still a major part of the PC), most components were designed to be compatible with each other.

Peace Out..............tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

Eyedea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
I have put together my other two computers so I do have enough experience to put one together and get it working.

Where I need help is on troubleshooting some of the reasons why this doesn't work. Any help with why a computer would not start up at all though it seems to be getting power and also has 128MB of RAM in it, would be a great help.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey E,

Remove your mobo from the case & set on a non-conductive surface, like a piece of plywood. Connect the ATX power & all the case leads(it doesn't matter + or - on the case speaker leads). Install your video card, cpu(with proper thermal paste)& HSF, 1 stick of Ram, floppy cable(& FDD), connect your monitor cable to the video card. Now try to power up. You should get video & system beep(s). By removing your mobo from the case, you are trying to make sure your mobo is not shorting itself on your case.

Beeps/ no post: look up your mobo's bios chip website, & look for the error code key.

No beeps/ no post: change out your cpu..............no beeps/ no post after cpu change- change out your mobo. Good Luck

Peace Out................tile