hmm... crysis?

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I personally don't have any problem whatsoever with them porting the PC version to consoles.

As long as games for PC get developed and THEN ported. The more pressing problem IMO will always be with simultaneous development or console to pc porting.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I remember a video with an EA rep, he said they wanted cryengine titles on the consoles, I think he also said crysis would haft to be neutered to run on a console.

(not an exact quote, i'm not even sure what he said).

tomdrum

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
the graphic power consoles have wouldnt be good enough to just take it straight over, they would need to lower the quality.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Contradiction? I remember Yerli saying Crysis could never run on any other platform than the PC...but now they want to bring it to the console. I wonder how much they'll have to cut down to make it playable on the consoles.

spac13

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
he DIDN'T say "could never" .......... he said wont due to system limitations....... he also said that DURING a DX10 interview......

there is no game that has dx9 support that WON'T run on the Xbox360. just depends if the company will port it over

Flex_Relax

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Crysis can run in the new generations consoles, however with some graphic limitations. Actually the XBOX 360 i think could do it rather well, dont know about the PS3, but i guess they could run Crysis well. But Never like in the PC.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Let me preface this post with this point- I am a huge fan of consoles... That being said, I'm doubtful that the 360 or PS3 could run it (and i'm completely sure that without completely changing the game, the wii could run it). They might be able to run it at the PC equivalent of low or medium settings, but I'm rather doubtful that you could push it much beyond that. The main problem that I see is the ram. Put simply, the 360 and PS3 don't have very much ram. (If I remember the specs correctly, the 360 has 512mb or ram. The PC minimum specs for crysis are AT LEAST 1gig, so it would take some major work to make this work.) This could get in the way of some of the wide open levels of crysis. It might be possible to make it work on consoles, but there are major questions. We're talking about CRYSIS! This game has managed to bring all but the most powerful pc to their knees. Console crysis would be cool, but they would really have to work on optimizing the game engine to make it work.

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

remember that consoles dont need as much RAM as computers because they have almost ZERO backround tasks. I agree that it would be challenging, they may have to do like DOA4 on the PS3 and install some of the game to the hard drive to help cope with the lack of RAM. The PS3's super-processor will definately help in in terms of physics, and I think Cryteck is the team to finally utilize the Cell. The 360 would have an easier time with the AA due to the extra graphics thing. eDRAM I think.

Not really. The PS3 is using a gen old nVidia 7800GTX. The 360 has a more powerful R500 which was easily better than the X1950XTX. Considering that Crysis depends on a good GPU at HD res the 360 will play it better.

And the Cell can go suck it. Its useless since most of the processors would go unused.

Either way I saw a article in PC Gamer about the expansion and it was stated that if the expansion does not do well enough (their terms of well enough) they will probably start working on the console versions as well. But Yerli never stated if they will have seperate or conjoint development which could mean they will down the graphics for PCs as well.

Physics maybe. But I doubt it would scale much. I know they will have an easier time writing for the 360 due to its x86 like arch but Cell (and why VALVe hats the PS3) is very hard to write for so I doubt they will master the Cell.

G

its cool... if they start making pc games FIRST... and then re-selling them on the xbox 360 months later... they will satisfy the quality of the PC game... and still make tons of money...

if crysis had... or does now... come out for the xbox... it will probably make a ton of money...

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

If the Cell is utilized properly, it will handle Crysis better. Imagine if all the physics in the ENTIRE game was handled by the processors, it would take an enourmous load off the graphics card. If any company could do it, I think it would be Crytek to fully utilize the Cell.

And just in case you were worried, I have a 360 and like it better, im just speaking with an open mind.

tomdrum

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Most physics is handled by the processor, which is why crysis is so demanding i thought?

Crysis would then also need a grea graphics card for shading/textures rendering, which consoles arent as good at.

TRENDING THREADS