File access and drive permission problems

JJ

I have XP home edition running on a HP laptop with a
Toshiba CD/RW/DVD drive. I get error messages saying I
don't have permission to access or delete the files on CD-
RW with data on them in the drive. At one point I
couldn't write to it either.
I don't want this to be a big deal and I'm sure it's a
minor setting somewhere, I just don't know where.

Any help is appreciated

JJ
..

I am having the same problem. When I try to save a file (msword, powerpoint,
etc.) to D: which is cd/dvd/rw it gives me several messages...one-I do not
have access, or two-it is a read only file? I have double checked and I am
the administrator, but now I must go to "my computer" and rewrite a c: file
to the d: drive which takes forever. I have a dell 8600 with XP fully loaded.

"JJ" wrote:

> I have XP home edition running on a HP laptop with a
> Toshiba CD/RW/DVD drive. I get error messages saying I
> don't have permission to access or delete the files on CD-
> RW with data on them in the drive. At one point I
> couldn't write to it either.
> I don't want this to be a big deal and I'm sure it's a
> minor setting somewhere, I just don't know where.
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> JJ
> ..

Me too!
I want to use my DVD+RW disc like a floppy disc, i.e.
Replace the old document with the new edited version as I work on it.
Do I always have to use sonic record now to do this?
My files always appear as read only files and I can't change them.
I have a DVD SuperMulti drive in my notebook computer.

"newby" <newby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Me too!
> I want to use my DVD+RW disc like a floppy disc, i.e.
> Replace the old document with the new edited version as I work on it.
> Do I always have to use sonic record now to do this?
> My files always appear as read only files and I can't change them.
> I have a DVD SuperMulti drive in my notebook computer.

No, you have to use a third party program like Nero's InCD. WinXP does not
natively have that capability.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com