File access and drive permission problems

I have XP home edition running on a HP laptop with a
Toshiba CD/RW/DVD drive. I get error messages saying I
don't have permission to access or delete the files on CD-
RW with data on them in the drive. At one point I
couldn't write to it either.
I don't want this to be a big deal and I'm sure it's a
minor setting somewhere, I just don't know where.

Any help is appreciated

JJ
..
3 answers Last reply
More about file access drive permission problems

    I am having the same problem. When I try to save a file (msword, powerpoint,
    etc.) to D: which is cd/dvd/rw it gives me several messages...one-I do not
    have access, or two-it is a read only file? I have double checked and I am
    the administrator, but now I must go to "my computer" and rewrite a c: file
    to the d: drive which takes forever. I have a dell 8600 with XP fully loaded.

    "JJ" wrote:

    > I have XP home edition running on a HP laptop with a
    > Toshiba CD/RW/DVD drive. I get error messages saying I
    > don't have permission to access or delete the files on CD-
    > RW with data on them in the drive. At one point I
    > couldn't write to it either.
    > I don't want this to be a big deal and I'm sure it's a
    > minor setting somewhere, I just don't know where.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated
    >
    > JJ
    > ..

    Me too!
    I want to use my DVD+RW disc like a floppy disc, i.e.
    Replace the old document with the new edited version as I work on it.
    Do I always have to use sonic record now to do this?
    My files always appear as read only files and I can't change them.
    I have a DVD SuperMulti drive in my notebook computer.

    "newby" <newby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Me too!
    > I want to use my DVD+RW disc like a floppy disc, i.e.
    > Replace the old document with the new edited version as I work on it.
    > Do I always have to use sonic record now to do this?
    > My files always appear as read only files and I can't change them.
    > I have a DVD SuperMulti drive in my notebook computer.

    No, you have to use a third party program like Nero's InCD. WinXP does not
    natively have that capability.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com