formatting hd/new laptop

sue

I just got a new hp laptop. It has XP-home on it. I would like to
install Win98 SE on it also. From all I have read, I have to install
Win 98 SE first. Then I would like to install XP-professional (I have
cd) instead of XP-home.

My question is: how do I get to the MS-Dos prompt so I can format the
hard drive and can then install Win 98 first. (I have Partition Magic
which I will use after I get Win 98 installed.) I have a Win98
startup disk, but it will not boot with that in. (It doesn't have a
floppy drive, so I copied the files to a cd hoping it would work)

The cd's I got with the computer are the normal "recovery cd's"

I hope I explained this enough.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

The Windows 98SE CD is bootable. You can boot to the A: prompt, run FDISK,
delete all XP Home partitions (probably only one), then create the partitions as
you like them. Next, reboot and install 98SE. You're not done tho. You'll
need to identify the major chipsets in the laptop, and have the Windows 98
drivers for the chipsets handy.

So.... Before you do anything, go to Control Panel, click the System icon, then
make note of ALL devices in the system. Each device has its own associated XP
driver for which you will need to obtain 98 drivers.

I would assume that you still need to run some older DOS-based software which
will not run under XP? That is one of the reasons for still wanting to run Win
98SE. Others may have to do with older devices for which there are no XP
drivers... Ben Myers