shadowjack

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I have a working 550mhz PIII HP8575c. It has a lot of components. I would like to upgrade. But of course HP has made that difficult. Can I get a new case/psu and an ASUS AMD motherboard, with processor, and then just move all components over to the new box/cpu/motherboard? Then just turn on the power and every thing windows base will run as before? I understand there may be some setup, but my software drives (3 of them) will act exactly as before? And will the restore CDs provided by HP work on the new system too? My object is to just replace the PIII with an AMD and new motherboard and case.

Any comments or help would be appreciated. Assume I know nothing ! :)

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
If you are getting a new case, PSU and mobo, it doesnt sound like an upgrade. This is a new machine and you have to treat it like that.

If you change the mobo you will need to do a reinstall of the OS in order to get the proper chipset etc. drivers. If you try booting the old install on the new mobo the OS will most likely crash during loading.
The restore CDs wont work either, since they restores the wrong drivers.

<i><b>If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail</b></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The last guy was wrong. There is a proceedure to follow, but it will work for any 9x system (including ME). I'll use Win98 as an example:

First coppy a Win98 directory from CD to your hard drive, then the drivers for your devices, then the drivers for your new chipset.

Then, go into safe mode and remove all devices from the System Devices.

Transfer the parts to the new system.

Now the OS will detect the new parts, and ask for the Windows CD, direct it to the Win98 directory on your hard drive. It will ask for drivers, direct it to the drivers on your hard drive. Etc. It will install the wrong (default) drivers for you chipset.

After the thing is finished configuring (several reboots), install the new chipset drivers from that file on you hard drive. You will need to reboot. Several devices will be redetected.

If you have that weird HP soundcard/modem, you will probably find the original drivers in the Windows, System, and System32 directories, should they be impossible to pull off the System Restore disk.

Now everything will work except the system restore CD. I suggest you make a new one using any available program. Even Nero has one.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>