SP2 - what the heck???

I'm a TOTAL newbie to XP - but not too bad at the older stuff, so please
bear with me. Upgraded to XP from WinME.

Downloaded and installed the new Service Pack 2 and immediately noticed that
it disabled my (generic) E-IDE 56x CD-ROM - although it didn't bother my
Sony DVD-ROM player or my Plextor CD-RW (which at any rate doesn't seem to
be recognized as a WRITER anyhow - but that's another post...).

Also, both the Primary and Secondary IDE Controllers stopped functioning
(with the little ? in the yellow circle). When I checked out why the IDE
Cont'rs weren't working, it said there weren't enough resources available
and to delete one or more devices in order to let them work properly. Oh
great - what to disable??? >:-) It had already obviously disabled (or
actually stopped recognizing) the 56x already and since my system is sort of
old I NEED all the stuff that it recognized correctly (it still won't
recognize my modem).

At any rate I had luckily done a System Restore Check Point just before
installing SP2 and was able to get my CD-ROM back to functioning and the IDE
controllers back to normal as well.

Has anyone else had this problem? And if so - what the heck do you do about
it? Just NOT use the SP2 or what? I realize that my system is far from
state-of-the art as it is about 3-4 years old - but short of rebuilding it
with all new components has anyone found a workaround??

Thanks in advance, oh wise ones...
Susie
16 answers Last reply
More about heck

    SuZ wrote:
    > I'm a TOTAL newbie to XP - but not too bad at the older stuff, so
    > please bear with me. Upgraded to XP from WinME.
    >
    > Downloaded and installed the new Service Pack 2 and immediately
    > noticed that it disabled my (generic) E-IDE 56x CD-ROM - although it
    > didn't bother my Sony DVD-ROM player or my Plextor CD-RW (which at
    > any rate doesn't seem to be recognized as a WRITER anyhow - but
    > that's another post...).
    >
    > Also, both the Primary and Secondary IDE Controllers stopped
    > functioning (with the little ? in the yellow circle). When I checked
    > out why the IDE Cont'rs weren't working, it said there weren't enough
    > resources available and to delete one or more devices in order to let
    > them work properly. Oh great - what to disable??? >:-) It had
    > already obviously disabled (or actually stopped recognizing) the 56x
    > already and since my system is sort of old I NEED all the stuff that
    > it recognized correctly (it still won't recognize my modem).
    >
    > At any rate I had luckily done a System Restore Check Point just
    > before installing SP2 and was able to get my CD-ROM back to
    > functioning and the IDE controllers back to normal as well.
    >
    > Has anyone else had this problem? And if so - what the heck do you
    > do about it? Just NOT use the SP2 or what? I realize that my system
    > is far from state-of-the art as it is about 3-4 years old - but short
    > of rebuilding it with all new components has anyone found a
    > workaround??
    >
    > Thanks in advance, oh wise ones...
    > Susie

    Hello,
    Which download of SP2 did you get? The "full file" (so-called network file) ? or online update via site at Windows Update?
    Most importantly, prior to setup of SP2 , did you disable Antivirus and all *startup* programs?
    Do you have any virtual drives?

    These are only a few starter questions. Do post back with relevant detail.
    Do follow good procedures before you apply "any" service pack.

    Look at the Pre-Installation Recommendations

    Windows XP SP2 - FAQ & Best Practices" at Aumha.org
    http://forum.aumha.org/index.php?c=16

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Maurice,
    I found your answer to Suz question packed with a lot of great information,
    which I saved to read at a later date. I wish I would have found this site a
    few hours earlier as I began downloading SP2 at 6:00pm. Right now I'm at 66%
    aquired.
    My question is this: I did not turn off my Norton Antivirus prior to the
    start of downloading this evening, have others like me incurred any know
    problems that you or anyone else have heard of? And thanks so much again.
    Although I've had XP for over a year, I'm still a novice at the whole
    computer thing, I'm very disappointed that on all my reading in preparation
    for SP2, Microsoft wasn't as detailed as your answer was.
    Thanks,
    KarenB

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > SuZ wrote:
    > > I'm a TOTAL newbie to XP - but not too bad at the older stuff, so
    > > please bear with me. Upgraded to XP from WinME.
    > >
    > > Downloaded and installed the new Service Pack 2 and immediately
    > > noticed that it disabled my (generic) E-IDE 56x CD-ROM - although it
    > > didn't bother my Sony DVD-ROM player or my Plextor CD-RW (which at
    > > any rate doesn't seem to be recognized as a WRITER anyhow - but
    > > that's another post...).
    > >
    > > Also, both the Primary and Secondary IDE Controllers stopped
    > > functioning (with the little ? in the yellow circle). When I checked
    > > out why the IDE Cont'rs weren't working, it said there weren't enough
    > > resources available and to delete one or more devices in order to let
    > > them work properly. Oh great - what to disable??? >:-) It had
    > > already obviously disabled (or actually stopped recognizing) the 56x
    > > already and since my system is sort of old I NEED all the stuff that
    > > it recognized correctly (it still won't recognize my modem).
    > >
    > > At any rate I had luckily done a System Restore Check Point just
    > > before installing SP2 and was able to get my CD-ROM back to
    > > functioning and the IDE controllers back to normal as well.
    > >
    > > Has anyone else had this problem? And if so - what the heck do you
    > > do about it? Just NOT use the SP2 or what? I realize that my system
    > > is far from state-of-the art as it is about 3-4 years old - but short
    > > of rebuilding it with all new components has anyone found a
    > > workaround??
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance, oh wise ones...
    > > Susie
    >
    > Hello,
    > Which download of SP2 did you get? The "full file" (so-called network file) ? or online update via site at Windows Update?
    > Most importantly, prior to setup of SP2 , did you disable Antivirus and all *startup* programs?
    > Do you have any virtual drives?
    >
    > These are only a few starter questions. Do post back with relevant detail.
    > Do follow good procedures before you apply "any" service pack.
    >
    > Look at the Pre-Installation Recommendations
    > http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=45
    >
    > Windows XP SP2 - FAQ & Best Practices" at Aumha.org
    > http://forum.aumha.org/index.php?c=16
    >
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----

    hope i am not intruding, but i too started my SP2 installation didn't have a
    problem with the download (took about 15 min) however the install was going
    into its second hour and had only installed very little according to the
    bar, then i remembered reading that i should have done a few things first...
    so i aborted the install, disconnected from the internet, turned off the
    antivirus and firewall (i have NIS) installed the SP2, it worked like a
    charm and it only took a few min... have had no problems so far (got
    fingers crossed)... i guess i probably should have turned off the Norton
    before the download, but it didn't seem to have been a problem, so i
    presumed it was ok...

    by the way, i have only had my computer and XP for 5 mos and this newsgroup
    has been a *lifesaving* experience for me...

    "KarenB" <KarenB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > is far from state-of-the art as it is about 3-4 years old - but short
    >> > of rebuilding it with all new components has anyone found a
    >> > workaround??
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance, oh wise ones...
    >> > Susie
    >>
    >> Hello,
    >> Which download of SP2 did you get? The "full file" (so-called network
    >> file) ? or online update via site at Windows Update?
    >> Most importantly, prior to setup of SP2 , did you disable Antivirus and
    >> all *startup* programs?
    >> Do you have any virtual drives?
    >>
    >> These are only a few starter questions. Do post back with relevant
    >> detail.
    >> Do follow good procedures before you apply "any" service pack.
    >>
    >> Look at the Pre-Installation Recommendations
    >> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=45
    >>
    >> Windows XP SP2 - FAQ & Best Practices" at Aumha.org

    Thanks very much to all for responding - (especially Maurice) for the info
    and comments. I will carefully read the info at the links you provided
    before my next attempt ;-). I used the one available at the Windows Update
    site. Should I have used the other one you mentioned?? If by "Virtual
    Drives" you mean is my disk partitioned, the answer is yes, but they hold
    only 1.) Media (music and pix) and 2.) Game files. What effect does this
    have on my IDE Controllers and CD-ROM?

    I actually DID have everything turned off (that I know of - should I have
    used EndItAll2 to be sure?? because McAfee Virus I've noticed does leave
    some files running in the background even when you turn if "off"). I guess
    I should have used MSCONFIG to disable all start-up items before the
    download - but I didn't.

    I had done the backup as suggested in the "things you should know" link
    blurb, (and had done the System Restore Point as mentioned).

    Looking forward to your response especially about the "Virutal Drives"
    having an effect as well as the difference (and possibly advantage of the
    "full file" as opposed to the Win Update one.

    Take care all and thanks very much again.
    ~*~ SuZ ~*~

    KarenB wrote:
    > Maurice,
    > I found your answer to Suz question packed with a lot of great
    > information, which I saved to read at a later date. I wish I would
    > have found this site a few hours earlier as I began downloading SP2
    > at 6:00pm. Right now I'm at 66% aquired.
    > My question is this: I did not turn off my Norton Antivirus prior to
    > the start of downloading this evening, have others like me incurred
    > any know problems that you or anyone else have heard of? And thanks
    > so much again. Although I've had XP for over a year, I'm still a
    > novice at the whole computer thing, I'm very disappointed that on all
    > my reading in preparation for SP2, Microsoft wasn't as detailed as
    > your answer was. Thanks,
    > KarenB

    Hello Karen,
    Hope it helped somehow. Now then, did your Service Pack 2 setup go OK?
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    SuZ wrote:
    > Thanks very much to all for responding - (especially Maurice) for the
    > info and comments. I will carefully read the info at the links you
    > provided before my next attempt ;-). I used the one available at the
    > Windows Update site. Should I have used the other one you
    > mentioned?? If by "Virtual Drives" you mean is my disk partitioned,
    > the answer is yes, but they hold only 1.) Media (music and pix) and
    > 2.) Game files. What effect does this have on my IDE Controllers and
    > CD-ROM?
    >
    > I actually DID have everything turned off (that I know of - should I
    > have used EndItAll2 to be sure?? because McAfee Virus I've noticed
    > does leave some files running in the background even when you turn if
    > "off"). I guess I should have used MSCONFIG to disable all start-up
    > items before the download - but I didn't.
    >
    > I had done the backup as suggested in the "things you should know"
    > link blurb, (and had done the System Restore Point as mentioned).
    >
    > Looking forward to your response especially about the "Virutal Drives"
    > having an effect as well as the difference (and possibly advantage of
    > the "full file" as opposed to the Win Update one.
    >
    > Take care all and thanks very much again.
    > ~*~ SuZ ~*~

    Hi SuZ,
    Having your disk partitioned is fine. Now, if you have to ask about "virtual drive" , then you most likely do not have it or use it.
    There are 3rd party utilities to make "virtual" drives on your system. and you would have to buy them.
    Just one example is Virtual Drive (from FarStone Software) which allows putting (copying) CDs into your hard disk, and then assigning "virtual" drive letter to each.
    Another example of virtual drive utilities is Daemon-Tools.

    Since you do not have virtual drives, this issue is not applicable to your problems.

    On disabling startups in MSCONFIG , and disabling antivirus: the thing to do is to disable what you have to, immediately do a shutdown / restart of Windows, so that Windows is loaded up again "in a minimal" way. Then proceed with Service Pack process.

    Getting Service Pack from Windows Update website is probably ok for beginners. It only sends to your pc what it needs to update to SP2 level.
    The "full file" is recommended for advanced users and for those in corporate-type networks (having many pc's).
    Even if you are a beginner, providing you can follow instructions & hopefully know a little about setup of a program, then, you too can make use of the "full file" of SP2.

    Did this system come with CD & CDRW & DVD-ROM factory installed? or did you add this hardware to it?
    If you added ant of these, How are they cabled physically ---- in terms of hook to IDE channel onto motherboard, and are they set as Master or Slave (physical pins in back of devices) ?
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Maurice,
    I will be able to answer you much better on Sunday. Most of my computer
    home time has been spent on reading "how to", and "preparing for", I haven't
    spent much time on "learning about". As the mother of 3 grown children,
    teaching myself how to use the computer, sometimes the simplist tasks take
    can hours... LOL. !st I have to read, go to the help pages for pointers and
    tips, and then spend time playing with, and getting to know new data. I can
    can you I'm just tickled to have found this page and all the kind,
    knowledgeable people on here.
    What I can tell you is after installation, I did get confirmation that the
    download was successful and that I should restart my computer. I have
    incurred some little changes so far tonight, and my computer appears to be
    working perfect. Tonight and tomorrow wil be spent on "after the download"
    steps, getting to know all the changes, etc. I slao did order the free SP2 CD
    from Microsoft which should arrive in 4-6 just in case. I have leanrned one
    very valuable piece of information here though, it's OK to get information
    from Microsoft and other reliable sources from here and combined them for a
    better window of knowledge.
    Thanks to all,

    KarenB wrote:

    > I have to read, go to the help pages for pointers and
    > tips, and then spend time playing with, and getting to know new data.

    That alone puts you higher up the evolutionary ladder than most of the
    posters here!

    --
    Steve Morris

    "Steve Morris" <news@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > KarenB wrote:
    >
    >> I have to read, go to the help pages for pointers and
    >> tips, and then spend time playing with, and getting to know new data.
    >
    > That alone puts you higher up the evolutionary ladder than most of the
    > posters here!

    Indeed!

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Ahhh, shucks. Miller time always tastes better after hard work.

    KarenB wrote:
    > Ahhh, shucks. Miller time always tastes better after hard work.

    LOL. It's many hours later since you posted. I just had my Miller a few minutes ago, when I ran across this. :)
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    I might have to use that Miller as an eye-wash. I'm trying to get through all
    91 pages of posts' brfore I start to execute or change any new options. This
    can be so additive and challenging all at the same time. All the websites I
    saved in the past two days, the scenerios goes something like this: read a
    paragraph, get an idea, execute anew cleanup, a new test, empty cookies, etc.
    Read another paragraph, flip back to settings and test out some thing
    else...etc, etc. Right now I'm testing the theory the beer makes your
    retention better. LOL

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > KarenB wrote:
    > > Ahhh, shucks. Miller time always tastes better after hard work.
    > >
    > LOL. It's many hours later since you posted. I just had my Miller a few minutes ago, when I ran across this. :)
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----

    Hi Maurice:

    Glad to know the partitions aren't the problem...I definitely don't have a
    Virtual Drive.

    1.) Where do you get the "full version"? I am assuming I can follow the
    instructions (she said with fingers crossed....)

    2.) The "factory" was my brother and the cable connections are as follows:
    Primary Master - Hard Drive
    Primary Slave - Sony DVD-ROM
    Secondary Master - Plextor CD-RW
    Secondary Slave - (generic) EIDE CD-ROM 56x

    I'm pretty sure there are two IDE 'slots' or whatever - but I'm not sure how
    they're hooked in.
    I guess the bottom line would be that I've never messed with them and
    they've always worked fine before, although now that I'm running XP it never
    seems to recognize that the Plextor CD-RW is a place to backup to....but
    then, neither did WinME - but CD Clone, & Roxio seems to work OK

    Thanks again,
    SuZ

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    SuZ wrote:
> [...]

    do is to disable what you have to, immediately do a shutdown / restart of
    Windows, so that Windows is loaded up again "in a minimal" way. Then
    proceed with Service Pack process.

    Getting Service Pack from Windows Update website is probably ok for
    beginners. It only sends to your pc what it needs to update to SP2 level.
    The "full file" is recommended for advanced users and for those in
    corporate-type networks (having many pc's).
    Even if you are a beginner, providing you can follow instructions &
    hopefully know a little about setup of a program, then, you too can make use
    of the "full file" of SP2.

    Did this system come with CD & CDRW & DVD-ROM factory installed? or did you
    add this hardware to it?
    If you added ant of these, How are they cabled physically ---- in terms of
    hook to IDE channel onto motherboard, and are they set as Master or Slave
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    SuZ wrote:
    > Hi Maurice:
    >
    > Glad to know the partitions aren't the problem...I definitely don't
    > have a Virtual Drive.
    >
    > 1.) Where do you get the "full version"? I am assuming I can follow
    > the instructions (she said with fingers crossed....)
    >
    > 2.) The "factory" was my brother and the cable connections are as
    > follows: Primary Master - Hard Drive
    > Primary Slave - Sony DVD-ROM
    > Secondary Master - Plextor CD-RW
    > Secondary Slave - (generic) EIDE CD-ROM 56x
    >
    > I'm pretty sure there are two IDE 'slots' or whatever - but I'm not
    > sure how they're hooked in.
    > I guess the bottom line would be that I've never messed with them and
    > they've always worked fine before, although now that I'm running XP
    > it never seems to recognize that the Plextor CD-RW is a place to
    > backup to....but then, neither did WinME - but CD Clone, & Roxio
    > seems to work OK
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > SuZ

    Hi Suz,

    #1. I am taking liberty of cross-posting into xp.hardware.
    I think it's possible the physical order & connections of your devices matter.

    #2. To the hardware gurus: Suz's CDRom is not being recognized when she had XP-SP2 (now removed SP2).
    Would you recommend a different order for the devices?

    #3. To Suz, why do you need the CDRom drive? You could make do with just the CDRW & DVD-Rom.
    In that case, I'd have your brother-in-law take out the CDRom, and move the DVDRom over to its place.

    #4. On MS Backup program, (if that's what you used), it does not backup to CDRW.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    See inline comments too ;)

    I took the liberty of looking up the original post. Here are my
    suggestions:

    1) Remove all optical drives (DVD\CD\CDRW) and your IDE Controllers from
    Device Manager (Start-Run-Devmgmt.msc)

    2) Install the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. If you
    don't know what chipset your motherboard uses or what motherboard you
    have, you can use Everest Home (free) from www.lavalys.com to do this.
    It will provide you a link to the latest chipset drivers as well.

    3) Reboot after installing these drivers and Windows will automatically
    reinstall all of your hardware that you removed (IDE Controllers and
    Optical Drives).

    If the drives still don't work from there, post back :)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
    > SuZ wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Maurice:
    >>
    >>Glad to know the partitions aren't the problem...I definitely don't
    >>have a Virtual Drive.
    >>
    >>1.) Where do you get the "full version"? I am assuming I can follow
    >>the instructions (she said with fingers crossed....)
    >>
    >>2.) The "factory" was my brother and the cable connections are as
    >>follows: Primary Master - Hard Drive
    >>Primary Slave - Sony DVD-ROM
    >>Secondary Master - Plextor CD-RW
    >>Secondary Slave - (generic) EIDE CD-ROM 56x
    >>
    >>I'm pretty sure there are two IDE 'slots' or whatever - but I'm not
    >>sure how they're hooked in.
    >>I guess the bottom line would be that I've never messed with them and
    >>they've always worked fine before, although now that I'm running XP
    >>it never seems to recognize that the Plextor CD-RW is a place to
    >>backup to....but then, neither did WinME - but CD Clone, & Roxio
    >>seems to work OK
    >>
    >>Thanks again,
    >>SuZ
    >>

    > Hi Suz,
    >
    > #1. I am taking liberty of cross-posting into xp.hardware.
    > I think it's possible the physical order & connections of your devices matter.
    Thanks for crossposting as this is a common question throughout these
    newsgroups. Technically Windows can handle any configuration you set
    the drives on. XP can boot off the slave of the secondary IDE
    Controller, you just have to set up your BIOS that way.

    > #2. To the hardware gurus: Suz's CDRom is not being recognized when she had XP-SP2 (now removed SP2).
    > Would you recommend a different order for the devices?
    The devices are in a good configuration. I would leave it the way it is
    for two reasons. First, it worked before so there is no reason to
    change it. Second, you may introduce new problems (most likely not
    though) if you were to change their order. It really depends on how the
    BIOS takes to the changes.

    > #3. To Suz, why do you need the CDRom drive? You could make do with just the CDRW & DVD-Rom.
    > In that case, I'd have your brother-in-law take out the CDRom, and move the DVDRom over to its place.
    I agree with this sentiment. There is no point in having so many
    optical drives. They really eat power from your system and there is
    really no need for that many of them.

    > #4. On MS Backup program, (if that's what you used), it does not backup to CDRW.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Just out of interest why do you need two CD ROM DRIVES?
    The DVD-ROM drive reads/plays CD'S
    So why have a CD-ROM drive as well?
    Also it would be better to not have a DVD/CDRW/CD ROM drive on the same
    cable as the HD.
    I have two hd's on IDE1 and my DVD-RAM/CD RW drive and DVD ROM drive on IDE2

Windows XP