Has anyone been able to actually install this game? Me and one other person that I know of, have not been able to get the installer to run. Once we download it, we doubleclick on the .exe file on our desktops. an error comes up saying the .exe is not a valid Win32 app. If we try to use the download manager in Firefox to open it, it tells us that we need an external application to run it. We tell it to run that app, but nothing happens.

Has anyone gotten the Demo to install on their system? If you have or have not, what OS are you running. I'm trying to figure out if this is a localized problem or if yahoo just royal F'ed up.

Here's the demo if anyone wants to try. Be warned the connection rates suck.
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/call-of-duty-4/call-of-duty-4-demo/533701

tmeacham

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
The reason you are getting that message is because you don't have the entire file. For some reason the Yahoo! pipes are truncating files early and killing downloads. Check the size of your file and it probably isn't anywhere near the 1.4 GB size of the full download. I've been trying all day to get a successful download and have not been able to yet.

tmeacham

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
Yeah that might be the best looking shooter I've ever seen. I benchmarked the whole thing and got a 47 avg fps with vsync on (max of 62 and min of 20).

Madrox

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
I love this game.

I wish it was MP not SP but its repayable so its all good.
Graphics are great, has some lighting issues though.
Combat is intense enough to feel real and fun at the same time, although like the other CoD games they STILL use the HUGE RUSH of enemies. The rush doesnt feel like it should be in a modern based game... you start to feel like you fight all of the insurgents in the freekin country at one point it seems.
I love the demo's sniper rifle, Plugging lead sleeping pills never felt so good.

And cant forget... if the enemy is behind the wall, screw the wall! Shoot through it.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As with all COD products the COD4 demo from http://www.filefront.com installed and ran perfect. It worked on XP and Vista, no problems.

I think the lighting issue Madrox mentions might be from military illumination flares? Perhaps? The lighting changes dramatically but I'm pretty sure this is done on purpose. It adds an eerie quality to the game, very Apocalypse Now.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I had some lighting issue where it was all white and black funky acid trip, I changed some video setting, I don't know which thing did it, as I reset to default and just bumped up the res.

dev1se

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Im using Vista Premium x64 and keep getting the message saying:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

I've also got Windows Vista Ultimate x86, and the file simply won't do anything on there... except open up some DOS screen for a split second then nothing after that.

Currently downloading the file from a different server. I noticed the file I got first ended with _v2.exe, the new file has no such version number at the end. Fingers crossed that I've not wasted my time... I've spent £££'s on a new setup and cant get anything to install!

dev1se

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
managed to get it working using the different install file.
PC ran the game at maximum settings 1680x1050 res with 4x AA and maximum AF... dropping as low as 25fps in intense action but usually around 35-50fps which is more than playable. Good gameplay aswell... altho a little far fetched. Some great touches tho, I think this will convert the BF2 fans.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
nah, bf2 and cod are completely different games, you have no freedom in cod (vehicles, and maps that are more like CS, maybe BF2:SF players will convert, dont expect en masse lol).

dev1se

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

yeah good point actually... very different style of gameplay altho i do think this is good for action and the fact its instantly pick up n playable, and ive noticed that just about everybody is able to play it which is good news, wish all developers wud make games this way, it'd benefit them in long run.

look at R6 Vegas for example... about 90% of gamers alienated!

COD did allow the player to use vehicles in United Offensive and it was fun, but they decided no to use it in COD2 and apparently in COD4.

As far as the download, DO NOT use Yahoo for the DL, they seem to have messed something up. Everyone I have talked to that has used Yahoo has had the same problem. FileFront did the trick for me.

brokoli

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
COD would always has sense of being in real war. To feel the pressure of enemies, how to save ur life instead facing death. While BF has it too i prefer COD when playing SP. But it's true that BF has more vehicles to ride with. ANyway as long it shoots i just keep on playing it. COD 4 very good game!

mike-bkny

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
guys i have a problem running the demo and will appreciate advise ... every time it gave me the same problem after the loading bar reachs its end & the mission brief ends , the screen turns blue & stays like that , till i have to reset the computer
i thought smtg wrong with the downloaded file so i downlaoded one more time from file front , the first one was from yahoo, but still the same problem... i lowered even the graphic setting , but i had the same results.
my processor is DC pentium 2.8 ghz , RAM 1GB, ATI raadeon x300 128 MB , do u think it is my video card ? i run other games usually with no problem... etc.. COH
waiting for ur opinion , thnx

Madrox

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Best FPS i have ever played.

Graphic: 10
Combat: 10
Realism: 8
Fun factor: 10
Re-playability: 12! CAN WE SAY C130 GUNSHIP WOOO!!!!!

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Yes, it is your video card!

If you read the list of cards, the 9700 pro is bare min, and that is better than the x300. Integrated graphics are a step up from that thing. Worst card, followed by the x600, that ATI ever put out.

Check the vid charts here at tom's, is bottom. Not sure it will finish 3dmark06...

Move up to ANYTHING else, and you can prolly play.

TRENDING THREADS